356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by greg356a »

Clutch slave cylinder replacement

When I originally fitted the Willwood slave cylinder it was all done has a temporary fix to see if it would work. I thought that I better provide a better solution, spent all day creating a new ali bracket which works fine, but did not really want to spend all day making and fitting. Usual optimistic thinking "should only take an hour!" Hopefully this cylinder will not prematurely fail.

More engine parts arriving daily, struggling with some Phenolic inlet gaskets. All water jet cutting companies I have contacted will only quote if I provide the material, no idea where to get 7mm Phenolic plastic or how much I need. Back to the internet. I have organised some 1mm metal gaskets to cover the injector slots in the original plastic gaskets, maybe that will work. Pushing to get the engine fired up by the end of the month. Still a ton of work to do :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

If your not already sorted, these might be of help Greg.

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/tufnol-sheet
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Morning Rich,

Really interesting material. I may go down this route just need to find out what size material the water jet cutter company need. Thanks for the lead

Got a load of parts this week and hope to fit a lot next week. I had to cut the rusty pre-silencer off unfortunately struggling to drill out the original studs to replace with nuts and bolts and use my stainless version. Already gone through several expensive drill bits to get 3 of the 6 holes drilled. So first job on Friday morning.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Had an enjoyable productive day today;
Fitted 38 mm chokes and 150 main jets to the Zenith 40 Tins
Managed to get the pre-silencer, exhaust, straps and brackets all back in place
Re fitted the rear anti-rollbar
Manufactured a shinny aluminium cover plate to protect the gear linkage from the wet and road kill!
Checked out the fit of the new 123 distributor.

The car is now finished underneath so will come back into the engine bay, fit the carbs, accelerator cable, distributor, new plugs, fan housing block off plate, wire to the new harness and fire up the engine! Might be struggle to meet my objective to get it running by the end of the month but hopefully soon.
:)
Last edited by greg356a on Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

I am going to try and use Mazda MX5 window winder regulators. Unfortunately not German (only non OEM non German part so far). They are around the right size, easy action and the winder can be positioned in the same place as an original coupe. Cheap to buy!. It might have been easier to go down the electric route, just thought a handle was more period, less to go wrong.

The plastic winders don't look very period but maybe able to sort something
Image.

I have added a new bracket for the 6mm glass. Hopefully the rubber will prevent any cracking in service [url=https://flic.kr/p/2ec3qzY]Image

A right angle section on the bottom should fix securely to the bottom of the door, I have slotted the fixing to add adjustment
[url=https://flic.kr/p/T9KsTA]Image

3 fixing for the winder, action is real easy at present may require more effort once glass is fitted
[url=https://flic.kr/p/RwzAfx]Image

2 secure bolts to fix the top on the inside door panel
[url=https://flic.kr/p/T9KsZ7]Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/T9KsZ7].

The next window task is to cut the ali U channel to the right size to form a guide for the window to slide up and down within. This will need welding and brackets added for adjustment.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

For story continuity first video of the running engine whilst in its original 911. At least no sign of smoke anywhere!

ImageIMG_0134.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Spyder-finder
DDK Fanatic

Post by Spyder-finder »

I have some carb insulated spacer blocks I had made and have used on many engine builds, if you are interested?
RS60, 550, 356 Speedster, 356 outlaw coupe, KTM RC8 and 1955 Norton Dominator 88

Why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death!
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Thanks for the offer of gaskets, going to try a simple sealing gasket solution and then if it fail go from there and give you a call - Cheers :cheers:

Engine transplant is going well, but paid work keeps getting in the way. Just the ignition, plugs, HT leads and wire to the new loom to go. I suspect this will be the hardest part.

I have managed a little more development work on the side windows;

New ali window tracks cut and welded up - Sorry Rich shamelessly copied your ideas.
ImageIMG_2523

ImageIMG_2524

ImageIMG_2535 r

ImageIMG_2532

Trying to make the window glass as close to the door edges means getting everything into the inside of the door cavity is proving challenging. So will need to cut a toaster style slot in the top and slide into place - hopefully, I will fix so that I can adjust the angle of the track to meet the hardtop seals as the glass moves up and down. It looks like it will work.
ImageIMG_2530 by Greg Moore, on Flickr
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Greg.

The the good thing about these forums is, we get to see how others have overcome problems. So I’m happy if what l did has help you ;-).

Looking good
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Morning Rich,
Yes great that we can all share ideas and methods for building. Some details require more complex solutions than others. I have found some 16mm bubble gasket to use around hardtop for the glass to seal to. I am going to try curving the door glass on the back edge and match the rear 1/4 glass to give a more swept look like below. Not sure if it will work, I think it will be ok as long as I can get enough glass into the U chaneels in the window tracks so has to not come out when raising/ lowering the glass. Plan to cut the window templates out of good old hardboard. I noticed that autoglass will cut 4mm glass to any size etc

ImageUntitled

Also want to fit a 3 fold rag top to the hardtop but other than Paris Beetle kit I will have to look at sunroof source/ legacy in the USA which requires a custom product and templates sent over (this one is expensive)

I have found that most of the "off the shelf" solutions don't work or need modifications to make them right. Like with the windows it would be great if someone sold a kit that included everything you needed especially the rubber/ chrome trim etc.

Need to have a look at how to seal the doors to the body. There are a number of gaskets I have seen but I guess there will be several needed around the body/ door.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Standard 944 spare wheel fits :)

ImageIMG_2538

Another item ticked off, except getting the rim powder coated to match the other wheels
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

First firing of the 3.2 in its new home is getting closer and closer. Need to sort the advance curve on the programmable 123ignition, fluids and good to go. Problem is with the advance curve being programmable what to set as the curve?

ImageIMG_2550
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking good. The 123 is a nice bit of kit, being able to set the curve etc on your phone or laptop is a nice touch. Try the the 911 forum guys to see what to set the curve at?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

This any good?

If not send Glenn Ring who restores a lot of distributors world wide, he will be more than helpful. I have his email address if you want to PM me.

Ian

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/1 ... stery.html
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Is the stock curve in the workshop manual?