For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Oil temp and pressure gauge and sender

Post by Ben Nichols 1979 »

Hi all

So, the harness is out....thats the plus point

There are few issues but I need to clear up an issue with the engine wiring.

My car has the three centre dials (voltmeter, temp and clock). It seems I dont have a temperature sender in the engine and the temp gauge is connected to the oil pressure sender on the top of the engine.

My question is, how do I know if I have an oil temperature sender, is it usually connected to the sump plug? If so what does it look like? If I need to get one where do I get it from?

I think it would be useful to have an oil temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge (I am happy to lose the clock). Is this possible, do VDO do an oil pressure gauge that looks the same as the stock gauges??

Can any point me in the right direction for an oil pressure gauge that would look right and tell me where I can get an oil pressure sender? whilst the engine is out I will change the oil so dropping the oil out doesn't bother me.

As always, any help greatly received.

Thanks
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Oil temp and pressure gauge and sender

Post by Dean.s »

The oil sender is in a taco plate on the bottom of the engine next to the oil strainer cover. chances are if you've looked all over and haven't seen it you will need to buy a taco plate and sender. neil at boatyardbuses.com is the place for this. then you will need a 200 degree sender, same as 911 but the part number escapes me.i have an older thread on here where the number is written.

the sender wire is green with a red stripe i think.
1974 Porsche 914
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

The point here is.,
Sender and gauge need to be compatible.
There are some handy charts that “map” sender part numbers on the disparate forums.
If you have no luck googling that, I’ll dig around in my records to see if I can find one for you
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

This may be helpful.
Note that sometimes people have swapped modules in the gauge, so you want to take care to check which module is in the gauge itself.
Sometimes it may be easier to swap the module instead of the sender!

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)