6ft in a Chesil

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

abzadams
DDK rules my life!

6ft in a Chesil

Post by abzadams »

I am thinking about buying a Chesil speedster, but read that if you are 6ft or over your eye level is above the screen! Can anyone shed any light on this one please?
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 6ft in a Chesil

Post by pmjt »

abzadams wrote:I am thinking about buying a Chesil speedster, but read that if you are 6ft or over your eye level is above the screen! Can anyone shed any light on this one please?
It's the same for the original! :)

You tend to adopt a sort of bobbed down driving position - as far as I know, each Chesil is different so you'd be wise to have a drive in one before you commit hard cash.

If you're looking at a Chesil - try and find an Apal - I have one and they're wonderful cars..

The wind in your hair, nostrils, ears, eyes, throat can be kind of fun :wink:

p
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

I don't know if you can do it with a Chesil, but with the GP Spyder (RSK replica) the floorpan was lowered on the drivers side to accommodate taller people.
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

Post by martinpcraven »

Hi There,

Yep quite correct - the ORIGINAL car was a trifle problematic for 6 footers. The various Reps have mostly compounded that fact by adding sheets of timber under the seats.

Porsche's response to that criticism? BUILD A CAR WITH A LARGER SCREEN!!! i.e. - Convertible D, Roadster, Cabriolet and of course the Roadster T6 as replicated by yours truly - Classic Roadsters Limited.

I am 6'4", and fit easily in our T6 with the hood erected - unlimited headroom with the top down! More importantly, the top windscreen bow is not then in your eye-line. Additionally the floorpan has been lowered and sigificantly widened - vastly improving cockpit space and allowing the fitting of full size auto seats - Recaro, XJS, etc.

As a matter of fact - I am the company "mobile test dummy" for ALL our products - the criteria being that I have to fit comfortably in the car!
Hence our 550A (upcoming Spring 2006) has been designed so that I and fellows of similar stature can fit without problem - ditto the new 904GTS Carrera.

Otherwise it's a Chesil and a flying helmet and either a booster cushion or adopt a hunchback driving style!
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
www.ClassicRoadsters.co.uk
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

martinpcraven wrote:Otherwise it's a Chesil and a flying helmet and either a booster cushion or adopt a hunchback driving style!

The Apal has a really good seating position - it's very, very close on the original - but somehow, you're a little lower and a little longer in the leg (for me) - I find it very comfortable.

p