Dreaming of a Swap Meet

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Dreaming of a Swap Meet

Post by neilbardsley »

takeflight wrote:This place as just opened up, haven't been there yet, but meet the owners and I think they would take a swop meet for all Porsche clubs etc on board, he as a burnt orange 912 himself.

http://caffeineandmachine.com

The meadow then could be used for our own private get together, or as I said its secure and if anyone fancies camping more than welcome.

cheers Roy
Danny on here has visited has been there. I think they had a coffee and cars morning so very likely
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

It only opened last week, we were going, but as usual something cropped up and couldn't make it
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

takeflight wrote:This place as just opened up, haven't been there yet, but meet the owners and I think they would take a swop meet for all Porsche clubs etc on board, he as a burnt orange 912 himself.

The meadow then could be used for our own private get together, or as I said its secure and if anyone fancies camping more than welcome.

cheers Roy
... I have been following them on Twitter - looks like a great place for a collection of old Porsches / swap meet and with DDK private area afterwards I’d say that is the basis of a very good plan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'72 2.4S Targa
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

I like this idea, and would be keen, and all my spare Porsche stuff will fit in the 356. Warwickshire sounds great, but we seem to be ignoring the requests from the North, How about moving up country a bit? Combine with a bit of track action, Curborough? Also perhaps there are some forecourts in Knaresborough we could invade.......
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

willbrown wrote:

cheers Roy
... I have been following them on Twitter - looks like a great place for a collection of old Porsches / swap meet and with DDK private area afterwards I’d say that is the basis of a very good plan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should pass there en route to Greatworth with Jaffa on Tuesday- thought I’d stop for a coffe and a gander- could ask them then?
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
danny
DDK forever

Post by danny »

Have to say it's a great spot,
Loads of room, parking, bar, coffee, food, rooms....

Would really suit a swap meet/car meet.

Just 12 miles down the road from me.

'67 912
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Winston Teague wrote:I like this idea, and would be keen, and all my spare Porsche stuff will fit in the 356. Warwickshire sounds great, but we seem to be ignoring the requests from the North, How about moving up country a bit? Combine with a bit of track action, Curborough? Also perhaps there are some forecourts in Knaresborough we could invade.......
W
Ooooooo, Knaresborough. Now you're talking, for once I won't need multiple days to get there and back! :drunken:
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Hendrik Moulds wrote:Am always up for a swap meet, although they are always a long drive away!
Wouldn't it be worth looking at asking the organisers of the Hedingham Castle meet if they would expand to accommodate this?
What Hedingham Castle meet? Unlikely to be any more Classics at the Castle, I'm afraid.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

KS wrote:
Hendrik Moulds wrote:Am always up for a swap meet, although they are always a long drive away!
Wouldn't it be worth looking at asking the organisers of the Hedingham Castle meet if they would expand to accommodate this?
What Hedingham Castle meet? Unlikely to be any more Classics at the Castle, I'm afraid.
Oh, I hadn't realised.
Just shows how far out of the loop I am. :roll:
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Timo

Post by Timo »

Caffeine and machine looks like a great spot.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

anglophone1 wrote:
Should pass there en route to Greatworth with Jaffa on Tuesday- thought I’d stop for a coffe and a gander- could ask them then?
C
can't wee why that would do any harm 8) see if it can be ruled in as an option?
'72 2.4S Targa
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

What is the irresistible allure of buying and hoarding old car tat ? Doubt my wife would trust I could ever go to an event and come back with less stuff than I left with.

I used to get along to that Crawley swap meet and would welcome a new event of that type although things have become a lot more commercial in old Porsche world these days. I've accumulated various parts parts and literature for our little hobby mainly for early 70s 911 over many years when but never seem to get around to selling it on eBay or offering it for sale here -- other than odd bits and bobs to folks who've persuasively persued me for some rare bit they need. Some of whom have become good mates following the meet and pay accompanied by the obligatory beverage/s. You know who you are ;)

Maybe a swap meet event would give me some focus to clear things surplus to requirements -- some of which hasn't light of day for several decades. Let go of irresistible finds that I obviously didn't even really need because they've hung around decades gathering dust some since those swap meets. Back then before Internet with a good rummage, cash free barter swaps often to help out with a rare part and friendly haggling for sale -- just a few quid in folding stuff went quite a long way.

I bought a load of stuff of a guy onetime who been in the old Porsche scene maybe decade or before me and he predicted I'd keep the stash a long and then sell the hoard to the next person like me. Maybe his prophesy is true. I've probably got a fraction of what some have tucked and others probably make a business of this these days. Doubt we'll ever get back to the carefree earlier era I recall or one he'd recall before me but supportive if swap event happens.
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

... Thought...

Maybe a Porsche swap meet as a part of the Bicester Scramble in spring as they have large sheds and other space given its closeness to M40 giving access to many and other things see at an event where some Porsche owning folks go already
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

It would be great to get something like this set up - sounds like there is sufficient interest out there.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I’ve been invited to one of these swapping meets on Friday night - it’s in a room at the back of a dodgy pub so I’m sure it will be fine
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk