Goodwood Members Meeting Live Stream

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

PhilipB
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Goodwood Members Meeting Live Stream

Post by PhilipB »

Spoke to the driver. It was a 2L six. Apparently it was very peaky and wouldn't pull with less than 5,800 on the clock. He seemed to do OK but then he's a very good driver.
Philip
markh
DDK slapper chatter

Post by markh »

Well done to anybody who stuck it out for the whole weekend... it really was cold!

My heart sank a bit when I looked out the window on Sunday morning but I knew it was only likely to be a bit sketchy getting to the main roads so set about clearing off the snow.

Once at the circuit we lined up, signed on and waited.

Then we moved round to the grid and Lord March came and had a little chat with everyone.

We got to drive two laps of the track at a leisurely pace while waving at the marshalls - good fun and another 911 in there but I didn't get a chance to speak to them.

We were then told to park at the house and get ferried back down. Looking at the state of the car parks this was pretty fortunate.

After that early morning cameo it was down to the serious business. A few photos below:

Our own Winston?
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Great photo. If only! That's Mark Walker in Thunderbug. Mine has up & down stripes and isn't as fast, well driven or reliable! W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Hope it wasn't anything too serious that went wrong in the race, Winston.
11/10 to all of you guys for bravery in the conditions. :cheers:

JW

Watched from the comfort of my sofa.................. :roll:
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Plug Lead off! Pi** poor preparation......
Last time it went on to 1 cyl i thought 'maybe it'll clear.......' it had broken a rod at the very top! This time i cut the ign immediately: Very pleased with 17 mins at race speed.
-1 deg in the assembly area, very very cold, too cold for methanol, I got away with it as i have a bonnet, the Morgans and the supercharged cars iced up. Wind chill on the hands which are outside the cockpit was terrible, utterley numb after 2 laps.......
Still a great weekend. W
Winston
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
neilbardsley wrote:Does anybody know what engine the winning 904 had in it? I'm guessing something like a 2.5l flat 6? I saw on Inst that it was prepared by DK Engineering for the meet.

- as far as I know, the car that James Cottingham was driving (& which won the Ronnie Hoare Trophy race) is #083 which still has its original 4-cam engine ...
I had a chat with James Cottingham after the race and he told me that the car was originally a series 1 904 that was re-shelled by the factory to a series 2 and that the car also ran a flat 6. The (original) 4 cilinder Carrera engine was still with the car but stored. He also told me that about half of the participating 904/906's were 6 cilinder cars and the other half 4 cilinders.

I had a great time at the track. The 4 of us (2 from Belgium en 2 from the Netherlands) stayed at a B&B in Arundel and drove to Goodwood with my company car (a Toyota Auris Sports Tourer Hybrid :oops: ). Saturdays I could leave the car park without any problems, but on sunday I had to be towed to 'the road' because I got stuck in the mud.

It was really cold on both days, but nevertheless I enjoyed the races.
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

markh wrote:Well done to anybody who stuck it out for the whole weekend... it really was cold!
Yep sure was, here's me cheering you on :wink:
76MM_3.jpg
@classiccarguru1
markh
DDK slapper chatter

Post by markh »

I got a couple of pictures of you Winston from the first few laps:

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Winston Teague wrote:Plug Lead off! Pi** poor preparation......
Last time it went on to 1 cyl i thought 'maybe it'll clear.......' it had broken a rod at the very top! This time i cut the ign immediately: Very pleased with 17 mins at race speed.
-1 deg in the assembly area, very very cold, too cold for methanol, I got away with it as i have a bonnet, the Morgans and the supercharged cars iced up. Wind chill on the hands which are outside the cockpit was terrible, utterley numb after 2 laps.......
Still a great weekend. W
Well done.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Berny

Post by Berny »

Well done Winston and an easy fix! when is your next outing?
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Wasp is entered for VSCC Curborough 6 th May, slightly lower key than Goodwood. Still umming and aghhh ing about Spring Start Silverstone, theres a big Frazer Nash race for pre and post war 'Nashs inc GNs on the Saturday. Very tempting as it will be a fab meeting, come on down everyone! W
Winston
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Glad it was a simple fix, though must have been bloody annoying at the time!
Coming down to VSCC Wiscombe?

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Glad to read that those who braved the elements enjoyed their day. Apart from the bikes, every race ran as planned, which didn't look likely in the blizzard that hit the circuit on Saturday night. At one point during the first race of Sunday the track cameras panned up to folks skiing on the downs above Goodwood.

There was an understandable air of sadness about the event for many; one of the popular Goodwood content team and a commentator, Henry Hope-Frost, was killed a few days earlier returning home from a testing day. He was a massive motorsport fan and a big character, fondly remembered by all who came into contact with him. The #fever and HHF car and visor stickers were a tribute; so far friends and supporters have raised over £100k as a fund for his wife and children.

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/