MOT test 2018

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mitso
DDK slapper chatter

MOT test 2018

Post by mitso »

I may have missed the answers regarding the new law by DVLA regarding classic cars , I have a 911RS and this means the cars is over 40 years old , how do you proceed to get a proper answer to this question? Will I need an MOT or not?
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: MOT test 2018

Post by 210bhp »

From what I’ve read on here (and probably not fully understood :( ) you are going to have to provide more details about your car to answer your question definitively.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Eric - essentially, from May, vehicles over 40 years old will be exempt from MOT unless they are 'substantially altered'.

What exactly constitutes 'substantially altered' hasn't been completely defined yet (as far as I know) ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mitso
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mitso »

210bhp wrote:From what I’ve read on here (and probably not fully understood :( ) you are going to have to provide more details about your car to answer your question definitively.

Regards
Mike
Mike
I thought my question is simply , does a car which is older than 40 Years require a MOT ?
mitso
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mitso »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Eric - essentially, from May, vehicles over 40 years old will be exempt from MOT unless they are 'substantially altered'.

What exactly constitutes 'substantially altered' hasn't been completely defined yet (as far as I know) ...
thanks Andy , although I have no clue how to proceed , will have to wait until May 2018 to get more detailed infos?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The details haven't been finalised yet Eric - only provisional guidelines have been issued so far.

Basically, my reading of the situation is that the first time you go to tax your car on-line after April 2018, there will be an additional question for 'historic' vehicles (ie those exempt from MOT) which asks if your car is 'substantially modified' from its original Factory specification.

If it isn't, you can proceed (with no requirement for an MOT).

If it is, then you will need to have your car MOT'd annually.

As I said earlier, full details of what is deemed to be 'substantially modified' have yet to be outlined.

There's an on-going thread with lots of details (from Keith Seume) in the members section here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60818

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

If your RS is not already 'Historic' in it's Log Book then you need to get that changed.

Come May '18, you will be asked, whether in a Post Office or On-Line, if the car is modified. If it is standard then your answer is 'No' and the car is exempt from having to have an MoT for ever more.
You can still have it MoT'd and the procedure/paperwork will be as it has been in the past.
(My interpretation here:)
If it fails the MoT you cannot ignore it, you have to fix it as it will be on the system (that the Police/Insurance can reference) as failed/not safe, and have it re-MoT'd and Passed.

If it is modified then you have to answer that question 'Yes' and the car will have to be MoT'd as usual.

Note: There are guidelines that I think are the final guidelines that apply after May 2018 on the Gov web site and are on the Member's thread on the last or previous last page of that long and 'hot' thread.
The Guidelines are on public view so I believe they are indeed final and you should read them for clarification in your own mind as I have done.

A lot of pressure is being placed on the Gov/DVLA et al about dropping the MoT exemption for historic vehicles of interest (not just cars) on grounds of vehicle maintenance not being to MoT levels by the owners, but I doubt the exemption will be dropped, just my personal view.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

mitso wrote:
210bhp wrote:From what I’ve read on here (and probably not fully understood :( ) you are going to have to provide more details about your car to answer your question definitively.

Regards
Mike
Mike
I thought my question is simply , does a car which is older than 40 Years require a MOT ?

Mike just wants to know about your RS I think. He’s a bit funny like that.
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Burma-Shave wrote:
mitso wrote:

Regards
Mike
Mike

Mike just wants to know about your RS I think. He’s a bit funny like that.
Actually it was a sensible reply which was elaborated on by Andy and, as I have no knowledge of the car in question, it was an attempt to find out simply if it was standard or modified, real or replica, in-period or backdated, original drivetrain, standard wheels, etc. Then the question that Eric posed could be answered more accurately. Mind you, a photo wouldn’t go amiss right enough.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/