Camshaft nuts !....OMG !

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Camshaft nuts !....OMG !

Post by glovebox »

I saw on Classified Andy Lightweight 911 selling some camshaft tools, which reminded me of a story I was going to post a couple of months ago. But only now , after some counselling I feel I can share the story!Sprang an annoying oil leak from behind the cam carriers on my little 2.2 six. For a while I thought it was from the obvious rocker covers ...but no. Engine builder had used a silicone sealer between the cam carriers !! Which was nice of him Image
So engine out and stripped down the engine to the point of taking out the camshafts. Did my homework...I thought....where or whatever I read it always said ...do not attempt this with out the proper tools. So bought the camshaft tool plus the crows foot spanner 46mm if memory serves me correct. ...omg !!! Two of us could not move these nuts !! We ended up deforming the cam socket socket !!!! Admittedly it was basically a pre formed metal tube with a bar on the end of it! So went and spent more and bought what I thought was what I should of got in the first place ! This was the same tool, but a cast socket tool. This time another friend to help , no deforming ! But constantly slipping with the crows foot socket . Even tried clamping one of the socket bars to the nut and then tried clamping to the engine case and chain cover case . Still no movement!! So got another mate to come round and help. I got a big one this time ! With him on one end and me and other friend on the other bar, lifting us off the floor !!! Ending up with the crows foot slipping off again ! But a big cracking noise which was not the nut , but cracked the chain casing instead !! Image you can only imagine the different internet sites and forums to double check if the thread was counter or clockwise I looked at!
So managed to source another casing and also the king of all cam nut tools ! A socket within another socket, small fortune! But at this point I would of sold the house! Wife and kids to sort this out !!
So with the king of sockets , 3 friends , 2 x 2m poles and a couple of sprained muscles or tendons in my arms !! (Really I thought I was going to break something!! )
Finally! Finally! Loose nuts and the most expensive nuts I’ve ever removed! Image

So long story short!! If you are ever worried about cam nuts coming loose ? I can recommend a engine builder! Who knows a thing or two!!
And if in doubt? Just buy the best and most expensive tools you can not afford! It will be cheaper in the long run!
I feel like a weight is lifted now I’ve shared that!

Best regards Mark.

P.s . If u ever need one, don’t buy it , I can put it in the post .
Ooh and now thanks to loctite ! No oil leaks Image
davep
I luv DDK!

Re: Camshaft nuts !....OMG !

Post by davep »

That was quite the experience! No damage to the threads?
There is one nut on a stub axle that I never managed to remove. Fortunately it was on a spare arm.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Some mighty pry bars!
Is this something you could use an impact wrench on? I'm never sure if a quick burst with an impact gun is more or less friendly than 100kg hanging off a huge extension bar!
I remember Tim (Impmad2000) having a similar experience with something (maybe the nut in the end of his crank?) and we were able to get it undone relatively quickly with an air gun..
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Camshaft nuts !....OMG !

Post by glovebox »

smallspeed wrote:Some mighty pry bars!
Is this something you could use an impact wrench on? I'm never sure if a quick burst with an impact gun is more or less friendly than 100kg hanging off a huge extension bar!
I remember Tim (Impmad2000) having a similar experience with something (maybe the nut in the end of his crank?) and we were able to get it undone relatively quickly with an air gun..
Damn! I forgot to mention that ! Image
Yes we tried a impact wrench, although I really didn’t want to, incase of stretching or damaging the chains. But again to no avail Image
But luckily the threads were ok. I bought new nuts and washers though for obvious reasons.

Mark.
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

OMG indeed :shock:

Breaker bar tubes on ratchets! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :roll:
@classiccarguru1
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Ah I didn't think about it being held with the timing chain!.. Tricky issue to resolve
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

I'm just in the process of updating my t/chain tensioners to pressure fed and replacing the chains at the same time.
I was debating whether to replace the cam nuts as some "numpty" in the past has tried using a hammer and chisel to remove them!!!
After reading your experiences i will leave well alone! just hope I can fit the new split link chains without the need to take the cam sprockets off. Any tips for fitting split link chains? preferably without splitting the chain case.

Maurice
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

moriarty wrote:I'm just in the process of updating my t/chain tensioners to pressure fed and replacing the chains at the same time.
I was debating whether to replace the cam nuts as some "numpty" in the past has tried using a hammer and chisel to remove them!!!
After reading your experiences i will leave well alone! just hope I can fit the new split link chains without the need to take the cam sprockets off. Any tips for fitting split link chains? preferably without splitting the chain case.

Maurice
Hi Maurice, not changed the chains, but I guess cable tie or wire the old to the new and pull through perhaps? once the chain is split of course :)
Feel free to borrow my Stomski double socket if you want to have new nuts :) ?

Mark.
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

Thanks for the tip Mark I'll give that a try.
Cheers Maurice
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci