BMW Brake Upgrade

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

BMW Brake Upgrade

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Does anyone know the correct BMW brake calipers that can be bolted onto an early 914 front strut?

Looking to upgrade for the forthcoming season, but want to get the right bits!

Thanks
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: BMW Brake Upgrade

Post by smallspeed »

E21 320i ATE Calipers
You might struggle finding cheap ones now as e21 prices are starting to pick up and they’re fairly rare in the uk. You can look up part numbers on realoem.com and then put that part number in the cross reference tool to see if any other BMW cars used the same Calipers - BMWs are like Lego so you might find some other options to search for!

Also because they’re so Lego-ish it’s worth googling incase there are some simple e21 upgrade options that might be a step up AND easier to locate (e30 for example). I think Volvo Calipers are often used as an upgrade on ‘21’s but I believe that’s for the Girling set up and not ATE
Also google the hell out of e21 brakes and upgrade options - there’s 10x more bmw info than Porsche on the net and every possible option will have been looked at

Make sure you get ATE ones, there was a right mix of ATE and Girling Calipers and the Girling ones probably won’t fit.. that said you may find there’s also a ton of info on switching from Girling to ATE to Girling so some of the above might not be 100% set in stone (ie you might use Girling on Girling brackets / ATE on ATE brackets and they’re a direct swap)

One last thing - if the ATE ones use those rubber bung slider things like on the e30/36/46 that followed purchase some of the bronze bushes from hack engineering - they’re a MASSIVE improvement in bite, response and feel!

HTH - sorry I can be more specific but despite having wanted an e21 for ages I’ve not really messed with many over the years :(

Ben
Last edited by smallspeed on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Some more info for other people who might need it in the future..

Think this is the Brake Caliper parts diagram and part numbers (e21 320i)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=34_0341

List of bmw cars (320i or 323i e21’s) that used the same Caliper..
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxre ... series=E21

NOTE: The information I’ve provided is based on the 914 how-to provided in the pelican parts article and so I’ve just translated what they listed - not taking any credit or any responsibility!

E21 upgrades are a bit limited but the Volvo Caliper appears to be popular - you’d need to find a suitable 914 compatible MC to support that, and figure out if it’s a suitable upgrade for the upgrade if you know what I mean! This is meant as an upgrade for Girling Calipers and not ATEs so some homework required to determine if you can use Girling instead of ATE on a 914 (or probably more simply - whether you can swap from ATE to Girling on an e21 BMW)
You CAN fit e30 brakes in place of an e21 too but requires some more modifications and again is relevant for Girling equipped cars. while e30 Calipers are way cheaper and easier to find, the Volvo Calipers are 4 piston and bigger / thicker vented discs so a bigger improvement (and less modification)
Last edited by smallspeed on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Some good info on Volvo upgrade here..

http://the320i.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/v ... s.html?m=1

..you’d need to confirm if this upgrade also works on an ATE equipped car (pelican suggest you must use ATE Calipers not Girling)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

If you use e21 ATE Calipers, these are the bronze brake guide bushes - just check they’re legal if you’re competing.. they make such a big improvement on the e21/30/36 etc that some classes (mostly in the us such as spece30) outlaw then

http://www.hackengineering.co.uk/produc ... er-bushes/

These are available from other sources but hack are probably cheapest and easiest if you’re in the uk

Note: they require routine greasing but on an occasional use car it’s probably once per year so no big deal :)
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

That's great info! Many thanks!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

That is indeed great info!

Sorry for hijacking...but...Is there something similar for 912's ?

Cheers
Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

jury wrote:Sorry for hijacking...but...Is there something similar for 912's ?
Use early Boxster brakes for 912/911?
Had some on a 911T that I owned and they were awesome on such a light car
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Looks like the same swap works for 912’s too..
Some more info and specifically what to look for (ATE and wide/vented disc Calipers) here..

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... grade.html

Also, the whole “production date cut off” thing is BS - BMW used a mix of ate and Girling Calipers from car to car and the only way of telling is to read the casting or look at the mounting type.. ATE uses slider bolts, Girling uses weird thin pins..

ATE are like this.. Rubber slider bush things can (should!) be replaced with bronze guides!

Girling are like this..

If it’s like an e30 you can switch one to the other but you need the relevant Caliper carriers (I’m not sure this IS completely relevant on a Porsche so beware! ;)
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

It's all a bit confusing isn't it! Hence my original post!

I've found this supplier of brakes - but mentions 2 options which I assume are ATE and Girling. No idea yet which is which - more research required!

Thanks!

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/BMW/3%20S ... 0Cylinders
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

If you click into the Calipers there’s info on the thickness disc it’s applicable for..
Based on eBay adverts for 323i replacement discs, the vented ones are 22mm thick which I think all of those Calipers you linked are for. I have a feeling all 323i’s had vented discs whereas some of the 320i’s did - might be a European thing as the US BMWs are generally a crap spec for one reason or another

Based on the pictures alone, the ones you linked appear to all be ATE type, but might be that the images are generic.. definitely worth checking with the supplier first

I used budweg Calipers on my e36 because I couldn’t find any gen 330ci Calipers that weren’t stupid money! Calipers were great BUT the finish on them was crap - really cheap plating.. I might get them re done this winter or have them powder coated
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

22mm will be too thick for a 914 as they don't have vented discs.

I'll have to check these to see if they are suitable. Fortunately the place is not far from where I work so will pay a visit and see if I can establish a more definite answer

https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/BMW/3%20S ... 0Cylinders
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Ah sorry..
based on pelicans article I thought the idea was to convert to vented discs as well
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

The pelican article on was looking at doesn't go into vented discs - I didn't think that was an option on a 914 set up without going the 5 lug route?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... lipers.htm
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

E21 / e30 are 4x100 pcd if that is the same as a 914 maybe it’s an option?
Volvo conversion (for e21) uses mini (also 4x100) discs