73 electric window switches with chrome surrounds

After a set of 11's? Post your wanted adverts here.

Moderator: Miggs

Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

73 electric window switches with chrome surrounds

Post by Bigfoot »

Hi, I’m after a couple of original electric window switches or if anyone knows if someone is finally manufacturing new ones please?
Many thanks
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 73 electric window switches with chrome surrounds

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Adam,
Not got the details with me now but I seem to remember the 73 ones are slightly different from earlier versions? More contacts?
If you post a pic of exactly what you need, I think I might have one or two.
Thanks, Richard.
911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Hi Adam,
These are hard to find. As Richard correctly points out, 73 ones are different and had a short lifespan. They are similar to the ones produced thereafter but latter ones had a textured black plastic bezel rather than a smooth metal chrome bezel (note metal, not plastic). A previous owner has damaged the metal chrome surround on one of my 73 switches with something like a screwdriver and I am trying to find someone to restore it.

Earlier ones than 73 had a curved chrome bezel. Annoyingly, the earlier ones and later black plastic ones are available but not the 73 ones you need. They have come up for sale on here before so hopefully someone can help you. Photobucket pictures no longer work so I can send a link of a correct one.

Kind regards
Gitesh
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Thanks guys, yeah it’s the ones with more contacts. I don’t have an original one so don’t have photo but if you have any Richard please pm me as would be a great help :)
Thanks Gitesh for confirmation too
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Hi Adam - I need the same switches as you (73 car) and I innocently bought three switches from Rose Passion that they describe as window switches.... see A below.

When I showed them to Gary he said they wouldn't work (only four connections) and of course they don't have the correctly profiled black rocker, and as Gitesh pointed out the the chrome surround should be slightly curved.

You need B ... These are my two originals that came with the car, one of which is broken, so ideally I need two replacements.

C is another switch that is NLA but was more popular than our ones with the chrome surround so an option I'm looking at is to either swap the surrounds or have the black surrounds chromed. I saw a thread on early911s where someone had covered them with chrome tape but they didn't look good.
See here...
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... zels/page2

I am going to take my broken one apart to see if parts are interchangeable. The slight benefits of the used black ones are that they are more readily available, I picked up these two used ones on Ebay this week, they have the correctly profiled black rocker with a smooth finish and the surround is slightly curved.

This is the other switch that Gitesh referred to and is currently available from RosePassion and probably Porsche but has a textured finish.

Kieron.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48230
2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Kieron
I believe the ones marked A in your pic are correct for earlier cars.
Thanks, Richard
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

I had a rummage in the parts stash and found this:

Any good?
Happy to sell it - I don't have a car for which it is correct.
(Not yet tested, can do that later on if anyone is interested)

Cheers, Richard.
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

You betcha Richard!! Great find! Please pm me price
Cheers
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Thanks for info Kieron, how’s the build?
aston wrote:Hi Adam - I need the same switches as you (73 car) and I innocently bought three switches from Rose Passion that they describe as window switches.... see A below.

When I showed them to Gary he said they wouldn't work (only four connections) and of course they don't have the correctly profiled black rocker, and as Gitesh pointed out the the chrome surround should be slightly curved.

You need B ... These are my two originals that came with the car, one of which is broken, so ideally I need two replacements.

C is another switch that is NLA but was more popular than our ones with the chrome surround so an option I'm looking at is to either swap the surrounds or have the black surrounds chromed. I saw a thread on early911s where someone had covered them with chrome tape but they didn't look good.
See here...
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums ... zels/page2

I am going to take my broken one apart to see if parts are interchangeable. The slight benefits of the used black ones are that they are more readily available, I picked up these two used ones on Ebay this week, they have the correctly profiled black rocker with a smooth finish and the surround is slightly curved.

This is the other switch that Gitesh referred to and is currently available from RosePassion and probably Porsche but has a textured finish.

Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Thanks for letting me know that Richard hopefully they'll be of use to someone.

On the final stretch now Adam, car is currently with Gary for finishing off so should be ready early in the New Year. How are you enjoying yours, have you managed to get many miles under the wheels?
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Hi Kieron

That’s great news, Gary will do a great job. He told me he was going to repro some switches himself, is he still planning on doing that?

My car is away for winter, did quite a few little trips over summer but MFI let me down on way to Spa trip so no big run out yet. Love the car though! Good luck finishing yours, it’s in good hands!
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Hi guys

I’m still on the hunt for a couple of switches if any kicking about please, Richard has supplied the first one :)
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Hi Adam - not sure how you're getting on with your search for switches but I've just bought x3 of these which are aluminium and should polish up or could be chromed. I've got x3 of the black switches, 'C' above, so I can swap the black surrounds over so I might have a spare, but I need to see what the new surrounds are like when I get them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263385627195
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).