Replacment keys, info please

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

george21
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by george21 »

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask how i can get keys made for my 1969 911 and 1977 911
I have bought both project cars from states and both came with no keys at all. I know on old vw there is a code on door lock or ignition and it can be made from that, is that is the case with porsches as well?
Any advice who can make them will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance. George
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Replacment keys, info please

Post by jwhillracer »

Your local Porsche centre ought to be able to provide you with the original keys for the chassis number, if you think that it's a fair chance they haven't been changed. They did it for our 914/6, but not our 911.......... :?

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
george21
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by george21 »

Thank you, I'll try to find out from dealers.
Any other ideas? I heard that it should be a sticker with code on the ignition lock, from which
It can be made by wider key makers?
Managed to find something but can't work out the numbers.
How many numbers should be?
Attachments
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4806.JPG
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

The yellow sticker looks like the Porsche part number sticker so not what you need. It is always worth a call to your local Porsche centre to ask. I have found the price of parts to be pretty fair in many cases. They will cost a fraction of what you paid for the cars and you will a proper key rather than a pattern part.

Regards
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

1977 924 key cut from chassis number.Took about 8 weeks, from initial call £28.God bless all at Porsche London.Great bunch of guys and gals
8bit-ash
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 8bit-ash »

I took my ignition barrel into a local locksmith and he cut a couple of keys for £30. Not all locksmiths offer the service but think I only had to call around two or three before finding one.
1970 911E Sportomatic
2002 Boxster S
2004 Audi A2 TDi 90
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

You generally have to find an independent one - the chain ones refuse to cut blanks they haven't supplied - bullshit to preserve their markup on the blanks

Edit:- didn't realise you'd taken the barrel in! It was hard enough getting a key cut!
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

My 356 came to me as a damaged rusty shell with a few parts in cardboard boxes and, of course, no keys. Speaking with PR services of Billericay they said it might be possible for their key man to make keys if they had the key barrels. So I pulled the barrels out and sent them off to PR and in a couple of weeks got back two keys which work to perfection. Whether they can do this service for 911's I'm not sure but it's got to be worth a try.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

My 914 came without keys. I removed the barrels and found no numbers to work from. I spoke to my local Porsche dealer who sent an enquiry to their historic car people. There was no key number recorded for my car.

I looked around and spoke to a few locksmiths. Didn't much like what they were saying. Eventually found all safe. Very nice to deal with and made my keys at my house.

http://car-locksmiths-cardiff.co.uk
1974 Porsche 914