Time to change, diesel or petrol?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

moggy
DDK rules my life!

Re: Time to change, diesel or petrol?

Post by moggy »

I'm investing in donkeys. DONKEYS are the FUTURE!!!!

I want to customise my donkey so when I cruise by the chicks they can all say....

"Mmmm, nice ASS!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

KS wrote:So, tell me about the pollution created by power stations around the world
The argument is that the pollution from burning fuel producing electricity can be more easily dealt with at one large source than it can spread over tens of millions of small sources that move around.

The world is also moving towards wind / solar / wave power too.

I agree there are questions over battery life and recycling, but they're not insurmountable.

I remember reading once that the Jeep Wrangler 4.0 V8 is actually the most environmentally friendly car as it's been around so long the environmental cost of designing and testing it is minimal per car, that they last so well they save another car having to be built and that because they're made of basic materials they're largely recyclable compare to modern cars. Makes sense.

Bikes do have an environmental cost in their production, so do shoes, and you need energy to walk which comes from food and if you're an omnivore then some of that is from meat which is horribly inefficient and polluting to produce.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
KS

Post by KS »

So, basically, we're all f..... :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

Nah. Just cycle everywhere, powered only by organic lentils, on a second hand steel bike. If this guy can do 7,000 miles in a month a 600 miles round trip ought to be a breeze for you:

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk

Towing might be tricky tho.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

As a wise man told me in the 90's, the problem is there are too many people.
It is that simple.
No people = no transport and unnatural energy needs.
So, everyone who really feels that all the fossil fuel burners are evil and must go (now) have they sold/scrapped their vehicles and bought an EV or nothing?

Are people leading by example?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Sam wrote:If only Mitsubishi had employed a stylist to design the car rather than, presumably, a poor partially sighted person they'd probably sell loads of them.
My wife refused the pre-facelift model on this basis.....

Mind you, one of the best things to be said about the Nissan Leaf's styling is that you can't see the outside of it when sat on the inside...
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Sam wrote:
KS wrote:So, tell me about the pollution created by power stations around the world
The argument is that the pollution from burning fuel producing electricity can be more easily dealt with at one large source than it can spread over tens of millions of small sources that move around.
And if (a big if, I know) we crack nuclear fusion, and the penetration of electric cars is already significant, we instantly improve the amount of pollution being released.

On recycling, the Leaf is 99% recyclable and 100% of its lithium can be recovered.

But, again, we did't go ULEV to save the world. We went because taxation / government policy made it the cheapest option and in our situation the current limitations are a non-issue. A win-win.
964RS

Post by 964RS »

There is no such thing as pollution or global warming.

Donald Trump says so.

And he's smart, so smart, the best at being smart, no-one is smarter than him.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

X 1 for trump!
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

shambly wrote:
My wife refused the pre-facelift model on this basis.....
My ex-wife the pre-facelift model was refused on this basis
@classiccarguru1
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Coincidentally, I got an email from TfL today. No doubt because of the hoohah over air quality, they are debating/consulting on the early introduction of the Ultra-Low Emissions Zone in that there London. Was aimed at Sept 2020 and now thinking of April 2019

"Cars, vans, motorbikes, minibuses, buses, coaches and lorries will need to meet certain emissions standards or pay a daily emission charge to drive within the zone. The ULEZ will operate within the central London Congestion Charging zone, 24/7 every day of the year. "

So no more bimbling to afternoon tea at the Ritz in the Pagoda. Anyone seen Moggy?
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
mycar

Post by mycar »

This has turned up at our local !

The landlord has had to spend money but also got a grant to do the install and advertises on the internet to attract custom.

He reckons it costs him around £2 for anyone to charge up their car and is starting to think it's a very good idea. Stay overnight and charge up your car. Come for a Sunday roast and charge up your car !

He's getting great feedback on ZapMap and it's starting to make sense.

We're not exactly in the middle of nowhere, but then we're definitely not urban. If charging stations have reached Nidderdale then the white heat of technology must be coming to a location near you soon.
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Tosh wrote: Anyone seen Moggy?
Moggy isn't here at the moment, he's very busy working...... :lol:
final testing on the 911 today. Managed 160 miles 'hard' :evil: driving on one charge (so looks like we're good for 200 mile range with normal driving) :cheers: