They're a modern tubeless tyre.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Blockley Tyre company

Post by Nick Moss »

Deep sixes = tubes (supplied by Blockley). You know it makes sense.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
KS

Post by KS »

Absolutely.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Nick Moss wrote: They come wrapped, which makes fitting more difficult especially on tubed rims that don't have a proper well. This can be ameliorated by unwrapping a day early and spreading the beads with timber spacers.
Thanks Nick, good tip. Julian also sold me a set at the introductory price, will be sure to let them breathe before I get them fitted.

Cheers, Richard.
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

Nick Moss wrote:Deep sixes = tubes (supplied by Blockley). You know it makes sense.
Hi Nick, I hope you dont mind me clarifying with you but are you saying if you have deep sixes you should fit a tyre with a tube?

I have a slight mis-match on my car as I have two deep sixes on the rear and two flat sixes at the front and the PO fitted a 205 tyre on the rear and 195 at the front which I think over tyres my car and I was thinking of replacing them with either the Blockleys or Vred Sprint classic.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marcus
1968 Porsche 912
1960 Vespa 150
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

Longstone tyres
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Seven wrote:
Nick Moss wrote:Deep sixes = tubes (supplied by Blockley). You know it makes sense.
Hi Nick, I hope you dont mind me clarifying with you but are you saying if you have deep sixes you should fit a tyre with a tube?

I have a slight mis-match on my car as I have two deep sixes on the rear and two flat sixes at the front and the PO fitted a 205 tyre on the rear and 195 at the front which I think over tyres my car and I was thinking of replacing them with either the Blockleys or Vred Sprint classic.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Marcus
Tubed rims (which deep sixes are) should have tubes fitted.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Dougal Cawley
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dougal Cawley »

Well any tyre of the size 185/70R15 should be able to be run with tubes regardless of weather they are tubeless or not.

However might i suggest running on top quality tyres. There is an interesting article (in German) on this web page of mine about tyres for these cars http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/cl ... sche-tyres
Longstone tyres
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Dougal,
May I suggest you supply the inner tubes with the correct stem size for deep six tyres.
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
Gduplock
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gduplock »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I took advantage of the Blockley offer of 4 tyres (165x15's), had the 5.5J x 15 steels powder coated and have just got round to fitting them with the hub caps I sources from US. I'm very pleased with the look close-up. Not out of my garage yet.
I will post image later.
Graham

Canterbury, Kent

1968 Porsche 911L Sportomatic
1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV
1968 Austin A60 Cambridge
2007 Audi A4 Cabriolet
Seven
DDK above all

Post by Seven »

I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the Blockley Tyre company this afternoon and got four of the 185/70R15 tyres fitted to my Fuchs. Two tubeless with the flat sixes and two tubed to the deep sixes I have (thanks Nick for the steer regarding tubes for these).

I had booked in to see Lee at Blockley with my wheels as my parents house is quite close by so I thought I would get them fitted there, but when I turned up Julian Majzub the owner was there and I spent a really good hour or so talking to him which was fascinating.

He is clearly very passionate about his business and he went into a lot of detail about the quality and detail that he puts into his tyres and about the credentials of people that drive, race (and win) on them. I think he was a little upset about the recent test report that we have seen comparing his tyres to the other leading makes as he was unaware of them being used in this way and he explained that the compound that he uses in his tyres coupled with the releasing agent on the rubber means they need a bit of scrubbing in (about 50 miles or so from new) before they start to perform as they should and with this test inevitably the different tyres were fitted straight off, tested round the circuit, then the next set tried out. He believes in his tyres so much that he sticks by the promise that if you try the tyres out and are not happy with them then he will happily take them back and refund the cost.

I'm now very much looking forward to trying them out on the car as the quality seems really good (the inner tubes also seemed to be of a very thick quality rubber, nice metal valves as well) and they look great with a period tread pattern as well.

The little rural industrial estate that they are sited in was also very interesting to drive around. They all seemed to be older 1930's/40's small industrial units with a number of classic car restorers/dealers and the Watsonian motorcycle side car company there as well.

I have no affiliation with Blockley but it was great to talk to someone with a passion for their product (and historic racing!) and I left excited to see how the tyres feel on the car and they currently seem to be really good value!
1968 Porsche 912
1960 Vespa 150
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Post by scalino65 »

haha..I went to Majzub's house once...it was entirely full of bits of old cars..he had a 30s blower bentley, in pieces, in his living room...genius!
KS

Post by KS »

I've run my 185/70s for about 1000 miles now and am impressed, I have to say.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

I just fitted a set on my 912 after reading KS fitted them and they got the seal of approval. They are a great looking tyre, I've only done about 100 miles but really pleased. Tubes had the wrong valves though so had to fit some land rover adaptors.

Mark Paine
A whole bunch of old VW's
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
targa/red
DDK slapper chatter

Post by targa/red »

So whats different on a deep six rim to other sizes to make them need to be tubed