The Purple Peril

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: The Purple Peril

Post by Gustosomerset »

Tp8, thanks for the tip off. Luckily he didn't - and here are a few more pics to prove it. The Aubergine seems to come alive in daylight - in fluorescent light it's much darker. A small prize for identifying the new car in the workshop behind the Peril and in front of the S.....

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Elite!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

Ok, too easy!
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Gustosomerset wrote:....and here's how it looked by the time we acquired it... with its unique matte green paint job. Missing interior, glass and engine but generally sound - with a big box of bits and a C of A.

The SAME Elite or do they skulk around stalking your car?
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
KS

Post by KS »

Gustosomerset wrote:Ok, too easy!
Where's the prize you promised! :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

Well spotted. Actually a different one...just sold to DK Engineering, but that's another story...
Oh, and the prize? Is it a feature/test drive for Classic Porsche Magazine...or am I getting that the wrong way round?!
KS

Post by KS »

:lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
FLY 7
Married to the DDK

Post by FLY 7 »

As said above, I've followed the build of this car and, today, I was invited to take it for a drive.

It's still being run-in, but it was a spirited 12 mile run through some Somerset back roads, before the rain arrived.

I can confirm this car is good - very good - so much so, that I'm still smiling.

I'll do a fuller review in the next few days, but for now - congratulations, objective achieved!
Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

Gus! I'm late to the party but great to see this thread... and see more resto pics. The colour really does look good and I like the mods. You did the right thing going to Nick FJ for the engine, even if it means managing on one kidney. :wink:

But sort out those wheels, proper finish only please!

You've both done a terrific job with the car; he's a talented boy that Jason. :salute:

Oh and Mike.. you beat me to the first drive rights! :evil:
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

Nige - when you say 'You've both done a terrific job...', you and I both know that in fact, I've done very little. Agree re the wheels. Time for your test drive?
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

Happy New Year to all.
The Peril has been on the road, in the brief minutes when it hasn't been raining in Somerset, and it's all that we'd hoped it would be.
However, having started this thread just as we finished this car, I'm sure no-one here will be surprised to learn that we've rashly bought another one.
It's another U.S. spec 1970T, but this time with matching numbers engine, so the plan - at this stage - is to go for a full concourse restoration, not another hot rod like the Peril.
Although in generally good condition, the car has been in a front impact at some point and was hidden under a terrible fibreglass 959 style bodykit - so much work will be required...which I hope to make the subject of another resto thread as and when we get started. All this means that the Peril will need to be sold soon to fund the next one...so you may see it on the For Sale boards at some point in the near future. Thanks for all your interest so far....
Pics of the 'new' car show the bodykit where it should be and what now remains underneath.
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

A brief update on The Peril. Having said we were going to sell it....we can't quite contemplate that just yet as...well, we can't really bear the idea.
So in the meantime, taking advice from here and elsewhere we got the wheels done properly by Alan at Canford. Thanks for the advice. A few pics follow.
Gustosomerset
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Gustosomerset »

So finally, after much debate and some considerable sense of regret, the Peril is now for sale, via Alan at Canford Classics, in the interests of funding the next project.
Many thanks to all of those who contributed to this thread and we hope the Peril will find a good new home.
saxon
DDK forever

Post by saxon »

Beautiful the only thing i would change if it where my car, is a nice chrome grill on the rear deck lid 8) 8) 8)
2010 mini mayfair cooper s
1999 mini cooper works s

Peter
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hello, Canford Classics currently have this fantastic 911 in our show room. It has just had its photo shoot and will be on our web site soon, but if there is any early interest please feel free to contact us and pop down to view the car.

For now here are a few of the pics we did last night.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales