Dansk Vs Original Novato SSI's

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

LGK6D
DDK above all

Dansk Vs Original Novato SSI's

Post by LGK6D »

Hi Guy's,

I'm after some advice please, I've read conflicting things about the new Dansk SSI's versus the original SSI's. Some have said that the fit on the Dansk ones is poor and others have said that was an early batch and now they've sorted it out, they're exactly as the originals. Does anyone have any current experience?

Also, if the new ones are good, where's best (most cost effective) place to get them?

Many thanks
David
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Dansk Vs Original Novato SSI's

Post by inaglasshouse »

Mecatechnic are usually quite competitive:
https://www.mecatechnic.com/fr-FR/paire ... S11226.htm

No idea if the Dansk SSIs are now OK. Please let us know 8)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I bought some recently from mechatechnic in France and they are a work of art. Admittedly I have actually passed any exhaust gasses through them yet, but if appearances are anything to go on it's all good.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Workmanship looks good:

LGK6D
DDK above all

Post by LGK6D »

Thanks for the pics, the area of concern seems to be the location tab line up to the crank case and also one of the seams catching the lower valve covers? How far off are you to fitting them Gary?
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

A while. Sorry!
Andrew Slater is further ahead on his build (search Manhattan project) and also has a set.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

I'm a few days away from fitting mine, but after spotting this post I did nip home at lunch to trial fit them for you.
I will say they are a quality part - definitely a work of art.
The left one dropped straight on, and the right one needed a little persuasion with my rubber mallet.
The location tabs look pretty good to me.

I bought mine from Eurocarparts but you need to keep an eye on their prices/discounts and offers ( they change them often ), and quidco ( if you want cash back ). I was watching the deals for at least a couple of months.

(Gary may wish to look away for the next bit)
I waited for the stars to align and I got a 20% discount + 15% cashback so paid approx £840 delivered.
(Gary will definitely wish to look away for the next bit)
However they cancelled my first order for some reason [ maybe the high discount ], so I had to place the order for a second time and that was successful. Luckily Quidco paid me the cashback for both orders so even better result! - sorry Gary.

I'll update my build thread when they are fitted.

Which raises a question.
SSI supply a tool to do up the nuts but it is a bent angle tool for standard nuts.
Although the heat exchanges have holes in them to accommodate fitting barrel nuts they don't supply the long reach tool.
I'm planning on fitting standard copper nuts to each stud using the supplied tool - any reason not to?

Andrew
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
LGK6D
DDK above all

Post by LGK6D »

This is brilliant Andrew, thanks for doing this. There's a 15% offer from Euro's at the moment that I'd already clocked, I'll keep my eye to them.

Thanks again
David
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

They normally have small barrel nuts ans the special tool is really a long Allen key.
I found the holes in the heater boxes are just too small to low a 3/8 drive socket through so if you use nuts a 1/4 drive might be ok for size.

On my 73T/ 3.2 I have stock barrel nuts but apart from access nuts would be ok, but some of the positions are very very very tricky with a 13 mm af spanner.....
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I'm just sitting here crying. :)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

911hillclimber wrote:They normally have small barrel nuts ans the special tool is really a long Allen key.
I found the holes in the heater boxes are just too small to low a 3/8 drive socket through so if you use nuts a 1/4 drive might be ok for size.

On my 73T/ 3.2 I have stock barrel nuts but apart from access nuts would be ok, but some of the positions are very very very tricky with a 13 mm af spanner.....
I started to fit them tonight and found that my sockets fit in the tops of the holes provided but won't fit through the bottoms - so I'll have to go for barrel nuts. The supplied tool only just fits in the other spots and on some you only get a single 60 degree turn so takes a long while. Its obvious is the photos but only just twigged that there are only 5 holes for barrel nuts in total - not the six I was expecting.

I notice that RosePassion stock stainless barrel nuts so might have to go for them as they are not much more expensive than the steel ones and will match my stainless studs.
Gary71 wrote:I'm just sitting here crying. :)
I told you to look away :roll:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep, that's how mine were, got one stuck once...
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Do use the barell nuts up the holes you find it much better when the time comes to undo them!
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I've also spent some time with my set up to ensure the exhaust studs are exactly right length to ensure maximum tool engagement once assembled.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

I'm pretty sure my studs are a bit on the long side as I was expecting the flanges to be thicker - but it all goes together.

However I've taken the advice ( many thanks Berny ) and ordered the stainless barrel nuts from RosePassion.
I've ordered 5 extra as the postage was getting to be more than the parts so if you want them they are yours Gary.

I'd like to correctly tighten the oil pipe under cylinder 3 but struggling to find a 36mm spanner/tool that fits in the tight space. Its the one that then routes around the flywheel and terminates next to the oil cooler.
Anyone know what the best tool for the job is? I've yet to find a torque spec not that I could get a torque wrench on it.

Finally sorry if I have stolen David's thread. Keep watching out for the discounts David, I think you need at least 20% Eurocarparts discount to matcht the Mecatechnic prices I think.