A.F.N. Brand

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

rrusse15
DDK Seasoned Poster

A.F.N. Brand

Post by rrusse15 »

Does anybody know if A.F.N. used to have any branded clothing, stationary or items, or even a badge of their own?

Looking back at old pictures the building in Isleworth had Fraser Nash Cars written on it, and PORSCHE Parts and Service above the door. The vans had the Fraser Nash car badge and PORSCHE Concessionaires for Great Britain on their sides, but it seems strange that the company is always referred to by Archie Fraser Nash's initials if they never appeared anywhere?

Looking at old paddock and pits pictures there doesn't appear to be any 'Team Kit', going on either, jackets / overalls etc? Perhaps it was all a bit early for that sort of thing in the 50's and 60's? and by the time the 70's came along, outwardly at least, they were Porsche Cars Great Britain.

Just curious really, I was thinking it would be quite cool to have some recreation clothing made. But with that sort of thing the devil is in the detail and without anything to actually recreate it might not work!
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: A.F.N. Brand

Post by KS »

You'd need to check with AFN...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Hi as you say the devil is in the detail: Frazer Nash. Get the spelling right! I have (had) some close ties with the Aldingtons and will find out, However they were frugal verging on tight and would not have bought anyone clothing as most people do not default to nudism.
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

It was always Frazer Nash to me and even in the very late 60's it was still just Frazer Nash. Strange that when the showroom had 356 and BMW motocycles in it. If you lived near Isleworth most were aware of Frazer Nash chain driven cars and one guy Nelson Ledger had a lot to do apart from the Aldington's in running it. He even had a flat above the showroom.

You are right, tbe 50's and 60's were probably the reason why they didn't advertise in the way you mention. Even marketing has changed so much since those days to sell products like that.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

Roy, Ray Wright did a branding scheme for them in the late 70's early 80's if my memory is correct. They had red and black workshop overalls with the AFN logo and the Parts Department issued silver carrier bags with the AFN logo on both sides. I am sure Ray will have copies of all their branding - but if not try searching through your 70's/80's copies of Porsche Post for AFN ads or even contact the PCGB club office as I am sure they will have an archive of past issues of PP.

Chris
Porsche - Diesel, the next most affordable Classic
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Here's an invoice with the AFN logo from 1979..............

Cheers!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

I will look through my porsche posts to see. I have not belonged to PCGB since some time late in the last century but remember Ray Wright and his black speedster and 912? He was was in the right sort of job to do that work.
The invoice really made me grin. I think you must have put what the Porsche code numbers identified along side the number? I have loads of invoices for parts I purchased at Frazer Nash all with the code number but no explanation!! I can relate the parts to my cars history books because the items puchased are dated and described in it. Otherwise you have to search the spare parts manuals.

Pity the person with a pile of those and no brief info and guide to what they are.

I will scan an early 1960's invoice which was always mainly headed Frazer Nash Cars. The shortened AFN heading as you show came later.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Disk pads
16 quid!
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Four
Married to the DDK

Post by Four »

Here's a couple of AFN stickers on 911's.

The first is original and on a late 70's car. The second was seen on a mid 80's 911 but I believe this logo dates from the early to mid 90's when AFN were also into Audi in a big way.

Doug

ddk member # 1376

silver metallic -1966 912
continental orange 107 -1975 911 C3 sport
polar silver 92E -1995 968 sport - verkauft
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

The 70s AFN logo is just so cool. Makes my typographical senses stand to attention
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”