Mk1 gt3 flat battery - what next?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Mk1 gt3 flat battery - what next?

Post by rft218 »

Hi Guys,

I know its not even air cooled but I also know there are some people out in DDK land that have some newer stuff and so I thought I would ask!

Anyone know any tricks for a 996 1999 gt3. I have left it go completely flat and realised this wasn't a good idea. The 1999 car has a cable operated bonnet switch with a deadlock so that if the battery goes flat you cannot pull it up!... making it little difficult to charge the battery.

I have had a good surf on the web and on later cars there is a little power block that pulls out to enable you to put enough charge into it to open the bonnet. On 1999 cars this doesn't exist.

So the only option appears to be take the front wheel off and find the emergency release...

Now I am trying to work out if I could do something similar as the newer cars and charge/power the battery though either a fuse holder or something in the engine area (for some reason I can get access to this)

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to fix it?

Any thoughts gratefully received

Cheers,

Roger
oldtimer
DDK forever

Re: Mk1 gt3 flat battery - what next?

Post by oldtimer »

Is it possible to charge the battery through the cigar lighter ( if you have one !! ) ?
Adrian.Tyldesley
DDK Fanatic

Post by Adrian.Tyldesley »

There is an OPC TSB (Porsche Technical Service Bulletin) if bonnets lock (and the techies cant be bothered to reach around for possibly displaced cables etc)
Front and Rear Hood Release Inoperative [grp5 1/96 5510 1/21/97] 1pg

Should the front and rear hood releases become inoperative due to a disconnected or discharged battery, the following procedure will allow the hoods to be operated electrically under these conditions.

Open the driver's door.
Using an external battery, connect the negative lead to the door stop.
Connect the positive lead to both sides of fuse "C3".
With the door open, move the door latch with a screwdriver into the closed position.
Using the key, lock and unlock the door.
The front and rear hood releases can now be operated.
Note: If the vehicle is in the workshop and the battery must be disconnected, try to park the vehicle in a safe area where it is not necessary to latch the front hood.
Cheers. :)
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

I recharged in the same situation by removing a fuse (30A I think) and connecting positive to the terminal and negative to the body somewhere under the footwell. Use a gentle charge with the charger inside the car, door shut, and overnight you should have just enough in the battery to flip the bonnet release.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Porsche certainly don't make life easy with these early GT3's - thats progress for you?

Have just checked the Drivers manual for my 2000 GT3 and the supplement indicates that there is an emergency charging point within the fusebox - guess I'd better go and have a look?

Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Thanks all that is excellent. I will have a play and hopefully I can get it going, I will let you know how I get on
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Dear all,

Well the good news is that the charger on fuse c3 works fine and the car powers up ok but that hasnt fixed it :-(

The remotes dont now seem to be syn'd (or whatever the correct term is) to the car. I have tried the putting the keys in the door an pressing the button to no avail. Same in ignition, so the bonnet release is still stuck. I still have the option to dig out the emergency cable which is the next step, at least I can then get the battery sorted.

OPC Exeter says the keys are probably 'broken' and need a new key coded - but it has to go back to them :-(

Does anyone know if my only option it to take the car (ie get it relayed) to Porsche to do this?

Cheers,

Roger
Adrian.Tyldesley
DDK Fanatic

Did you lock the latch on your open door when you tried it?.. Its important that you simulate the doors being closed for it to work.
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

You should be able to remove the 2 plastic grommets from the inner face of the release housing (facing the drivers seat rail) and use a 5mm allen key to undo the 2 allen key bolts holding the release housing onto the inner sill. Pull the housing up and you will be able to access the bonnet release cable directly. Refit on completion!

Chris
Porsche - Diesel, the next most affordable Classic
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

when the car has not been unlocked for a while the remote stops working on my 2004 gt3 and you have to unlock the car manually and then insert the key in ignition and power up within a certain time period (30 secs?)…maybe that is part of it
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Adrian.Tyldesley
DDK Fanatic

If you follow the TSB to the letter then you will gain access. :)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Be patient, the remote will work eventually once the immobiliser wakes up. Keep charging.

The key fob is almost certainly not broken. Follow the procedure in you handbook to reset with your key. It may take a bit more umph in the battery yet.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Oh, and when you're up and running invest in a trickle charger.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Thanks all,

I eventually undid the sill piece that holds the levers - its only held with 3 allen bolts and then you can get flip the front very easily. I didnt fancy getting to the emergency bonnet release without being able to take the wheel off (as the locking nut key is in under the bonnet!!)

The battery was completely dead - i think a cell is dead in it, even with a commercial style charger it doesnt respond, so I think this was what most of problems were. When I put a new battery in it all sprang to into life, keys all ok and everything working correctly.

I think if the battery wasnt scrap the charging suggestions would have worked.

Thanks for all the input,

now happily driving the toy around again with smile on face! :-)

Cheers,

Roger
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

rft218 wrote: now happily driving the toy around again with smile on face! :-)
How about a photograph of the Mk1?

Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6