Interior Trim German Domestic etc

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

BashBell
DDK Newbie

Interior Trim German Domestic etc

Post by BashBell »

Morning all.

I have just imported a 1976 912E from the US, it's Grand Prix White with a Lobster Red (9290) and embossed for seat inserts (9295) Interior. It used to belong to Salvatore Mangiavillano ( Fat Sal) a member of the Gambino crime family. Ha.. There a turn up for the books eh. Pretty good condition just needs some TLC which I am embarking on now. Lights and indicators I've changed, seatbelts being replaced and Awaiting The form pack from DVLA so I can get it MOTd and registered

Rear seats , and one front seat have cigarette burns and splits , and the door panels have been "modified" for speakers, so I would like to recover them and get it back to clean and tidy. It also once had the dealer installed VCC cccool air conditioning in, but the rear compressor and grill and other bits and bobs are missing, so will remove the front under dash section that and take it back to stock, which involves sourcing (got them) knee pads and recovering in Lobster Red vinyl.

My question is, whenever I search for Porsche vinyl types and I have done it many times, I usually end up with the American sites talking about German Import Vinyl and domestic Vinyl. Not surprising in that I am searching in English. I've tried German also. Can anyone give any pointers to where in Germany I could get supplies of original or close to spec Porsche Vinyl. Seems stupid to buy it from the states with import etc when it's already in Europe. Who made these vinyls for Porsche ?

Many Thanks :)
Dave
65-912 Coupe Slate Grey. 72-911T 2.4 MFI Oilkappe Coupe Bahia Red. 76-912E Coupe Grand Prix White. 2010 997.2 Carrera4S Targa
1959 MGA 1600 Convertible Cream- 1959 Austin Healey Frog Eye Sprite Old English White. 1958 Sunbeam S8 Motorcycle Black.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Interior Trim German Domestic etc

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm not a expert but why not import from the US? They have more old cars out there so often it is the best place to get repo and original (like). Often the prices can be cheaper than the motherland.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
phil63
DDK Newbie

Post by phil63 »

Dave I also have a Lobster red interior mine is a 78 SC Dolomite Grey with Lobster Interior, seat door cards Dash the lot ! I cant help with the Vinyl but.......

I needed a small split in my passenger seat repairing last year and i went to Southbound trimmers (01264 8100080) they offered a couple of options. They had a second hand set of front and rear seat covers in Lobster or they could re trim my seats in Lobster Leather that was an exact match (they know where to source the right colour leather from Germany). Maybe this might be an option for you ?

BR Phil
BashBell
DDK Newbie

Post by BashBell »

Thanks for the suggestions, Southbound seems a good option.

Cheers
Dave
65-912 Coupe Slate Grey. 72-911T 2.4 MFI Oilkappe Coupe Bahia Red. 76-912E Coupe Grand Prix White. 2010 997.2 Carrera4S Targa
1959 MGA 1600 Convertible Cream- 1959 Austin Healey Frog Eye Sprite Old English White. 1958 Sunbeam S8 Motorcycle Black.
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Talk to Garry (visualfx on here) - he has become an anorak on vinyl types and a real bore to his mates :)

He also has a good stock of alternatives and does great trimming.

Cheaper than Southbound as well!

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Im currently investigating options for sourcing an interior for my 356SC. Basically, I need seat covers, front and rear. Carpet set, and vinyl panels for the dash, doors and rear quarters.

Best quote so far is all of the above, with leather faced seat covers on the front seats for $2,118.00 USD plus $286 shipping, plus whatever import duty will be due. All from K&H European Auto Upholstery in California.

Any ideas about how much import duty, VAT etc I would have to pay on the above?

Does this sound like a deal?
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso