New DVLA system for imports

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Havana Henry
DDK Fanatic

New DVLA system for imports

Post by Havana Henry »

Does anyone here know how long it now takes to register an imported car now the local offices have shut?

I could not find any relevant info with a search, perhaps as it's a recent issue.

I have a US car, taxes paid, title, insurance, soon an MOT hopefully, and hoping to make it to CLM, so time may be tight if the paperwork is lengthy.....

If anyone here has done similar recently, I'd love to know how they got on.

James.
James.

1964 356 C
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: New DVLA system for imports

Post by DustyM »

If your paperwork is in order you should have your V5 within 2-3 weeks
Havana Henry
DDK Fanatic

Post by Havana Henry »

Thanks for that Jon, good to know.

James.
James.

1964 356 C
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I got mine through in about 2 weeks when i applied last November time. Very efficient and quick I thought!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Havana Henry
DDK Fanatic

Post by Havana Henry »

2 weeks doesn't sound bad for a Government department to act by post, thanks Stuart.

I must admit though, I preferred it when I could take a 10 minute stroll to my local office, and if you got there when they opened, you'd be done around 15 minutes later. Shame they closed them.
James.

1964 356 C
jeffnudd
DDK Fanatic

Post by jeffnudd »

Sorry to hijack your thread but i am having difficulty with the V55/5 form, filling it out is a nightmare. I do have an office about 25 miles away so can i still go there to get the car registered quickly and because the car was imported 10 years ago with a customs A4 sheet with customs number on it will i be responsible for any VAT as i purchased the car August 2013? (I do know the previous owner)

Ive not done anything like this before so i could do with a helping hand.

So far i have the following for my 1970 911 Karrman Coupe 2.2T:

MOT Certificate.
Insurance Certificate.
Original Purchase Invoice from USA.
A PHOTO COPY of the C&E 389 Customs A4 paperwork from 10 years ago.
A Certificate of Authenticity.
Application forms for tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle (V55/5 etc) turned up a couple of days ago.
Obviously payment for a registration fee.

I was wondering if anyone had a step by step thread on how to register a imported car, i thought i seen one a while ago but i could be wrong, some of the questions on the V55/5 form don't apply to the vehicle but im stuck on the Certificate of Conformity or SVA/IVA/MSVA? There are several questions regarding this on the V55/5 form which i am tempted to ignore but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.

I have loads of questions for example cylinder capacity would be 1199cc rather than 2200? It's this kind of thing that DVLA would want to know or am i too fussy?

Kind Regards

Jeff
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I fumbled through it last year and my car was also one that had been imported by someone else. This means the VAT is already paid - the Customs form should show that - not sure if a photocopy is ok to use.

Apart form that i think you have everything covered above - must admit the first time is a bit confusing but i think its easier than it seems at first.

And put whatever the engine cc is on the form so that that appears number on your V5.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

Did mine a few months ago and most of the questions on the form aren't applicable. Don't worry about the stuff like the c of a as they aren't bothered as long as the cars got a mot. Forget about the dimensions and stuff like that.
Took around 2 weeks for log book to arrive and all the rest of the docs arrived a week later as I asked for my usa logbook back.
Fairly easy I thought as long as you have everything required.
Good luck.
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!
jeffnudd
DDK Fanatic

Post by jeffnudd »

When i got some of the forms through to fill out, one of them said i had to inform these: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nova/ within 14 days of the vehicle arriving into the UK, but i am fairly sure that if i have a customs number and the parcel has been delivered (so to speak) then the car's VAT or duty is already paid and i am now free to register it. Apparently if they don't know its here it's a fine of £5.00 per day, i worked out that since its been here in the UK (10yrs) i would be liable for an £18,000 VAT bill?
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

jeffnudd wrote:When i got some of the forms through to fill out, one of them said i had to inform these: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nova/ within 14 days of the vehicle arriving into the UK, but i am fairly sure that if i have a customs number and the parcel has been delivered (so to speak) then the car's VAT or duty is already paid and i am now free to register it. Apparently if they don't know its here it's a fine of £5.00 per day, i worked out that since its been here in the UK (10yrs) i would be liable for an £18,000 VAT bill?
The rules changed last year at some point and the NOVA scheme is applicable since whatever that date was. Cars imported before that date are not covered by NOVA and you dont have to inform them. There was a thread or 2 on this last year:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45551&hilit=nova

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45535&hilit=nova
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
jeffnudd
DDK Fanatic

Post by jeffnudd »

Very helpful threads guys, Thanks.

Vehicle now on NOVA System.
No VAT to pay :bounce:
Rang DVLA and they went through ALL questions with me (Good as gold) :wink:
Sent off relevant paperwork and forms to DVLA.
Now waiting for DVLA's bit.
DaveW
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DaveW »

I have been reading the import threads mentioned and just want to clarify in my own mind that I am correct as follows:

1. My car was imported 27th March 2013 and therefore I can rely on the C&E389 form and importer invoice/receipt rather than worry about NOVA that came into effect 15th April 2013?
2. I have the US Certificate of Title that specifies it is a 1975 model year Porsche 914 alongside the VIN but not specifically its first date of registration - that first date of registration is not a mandated field?
3. Once I have an MoT that I should not need a Certificate of Conformity or Letter of Authenticity from Porsche - or should I still apply to Reading just in case?
4. That I need full insurance before registration rather than the laid up insurance currently in place?

I know a few of you have been through this recently. I am up against it time-wise if I am to process this ahead of the Le Mans Classic so feedback welcome.

Thanks
Dave Watson

'75 914 1.8 FI
'86 911 Turbo SE
'79 928 Series 1 Manual
'92 928 S4 Auto (daily driver)
Mr Pharmacist

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

From my experience:

1 - you should be ok with just the C&E389 form
2 - US title was fine for me
3 - I don't think you definitely need a letter of authencity (cert of conformity cannot be used for registration purposes according to the text on the cert - dont know why as they contain the same info more or less)
4 - yes you need full insurance

hope that helps!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

You all 'seem' to be talking about cars imported from outside the EU, in particular, the US.
What's the situation with a car like mine which was imported as a non runner (and not likely to be for years) from within the EU. Do I have to do anything now?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Codfather
Married to the DDK

Post by Codfather »

Mike,

i have previously imported new cars from the EU to UK which has been straightforward enough, although the cars have to have temporary export plates to allow the car to be driven to the UK. once here then a quick cheque in the post to HMRC for the vat then you can register the car here as a new car.

you have bought a "box of second hand bits" , no vat needs to be paid on this in the UK. so no, nothing to be done at this moment in time.
you will probably have to convince HMRC at a later date that the car was imported , so keep any ferry tickets and reciepts you have, once they are happy that no vat or import duty has to be paid you can then apply for your V5 and Mot etc....

cheers
Dave
1979 911sc
2010 Range Rover Sport
2013 Mini D