904 Replica from Classic Roadsters Ltd

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

904 Replica from Classic Roadsters Ltd

Post by martinpcraven »

- Here's a sad sight that WILL have a happy ending (double happy ending actually!!).

This original 904 GTS Carrera is owned by a friend of Jurgen Mohr (Mohr/FMS near Dresden who are Classic Roadsters Business partner). The client had had it fully prepped by a separate car body restorers and it had been waiting to go into the paint booth.

The heaters were turned up overnight to ensure perfect last minute dryness before the painting process - see where we're going with this?! Yep, at 4.0am the following morning the fire alarm went off - and this was all that was left. This was NOT at Mohr's premises we hasten to add, but the previous "restorer".

Mohr have now been given the task of saving the car and rebuilding it totally. They tracked down the ORIGINAL moulds and chassis jigs [ mercifully the chassis was only "scorched"], and have negotiated a deal to produce new working moulds to produce a totally authentic "Replica" body. The car is a well known competition car with full provenance, but for obvious reasons must remain anonymous.

Now the "quirk of fate", being in "the right place at the right time", whatever - it just so happened Chris, (Classic Roadsters Development engineer) was in Heyda at the time that the 904 arrived in a VERY sad state. He was putting the finishing touches to the new 550 Spyder chassis and was neeedlets to say, fascinated by the state of the vehicle. After the 904 was unloaded the tape measures came out, and yes, with minimal adjustment to the wheelbase the 550 chassis would be suitable for the 904!

King Moulds have already been prepared and a prototype body will be made available when Chris returns in July. The rebirth of an original legend and the birth of a new replica - good things DO sometimes come from bad!

So here's an open invitation for a caption competition - the prize for the best (donated by Classic Roadsters Ltd.) a copy of the ORIGINAL sales brochure that came with this car.

Good luck. To ensure a fair deal - the judging will be carried out by your forum meister.

Oh yes, I'm just off to start putting together the sales literature for the new Classic Roadsters 904!!

You can also just make out in the background the Classic Roadsters 356 Cabriolet German demonstrator!

Finally, there is also a nasty rumour that there's a 908 Spyder awaiting restoration so keep watching this space!!
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
www.ClassicRoadsters.co.uk
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

904 caption

Post by beachcomber »

:oops: "Hans immediately regretted trying to weld the repair patch on the body"

Beachcomber
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Between them, Hans, and his brother Kneez and Boomtown Rats fan Bert, knew they had the technology,
tools and harsh language to get the car back on the road.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Hans's body shop skills turned out to be not quite as good as he made out!

If you want a real laugh go to.......

http://tanetane92.web.infoseek.co.jp/20050116tas2.html

Martin, do you think there's a market for replicas of these?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

"Could somebody help please, I seem to have impaled myself on this chassis crossmember"
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
drummerboytom

Post by drummerboytom »

" would you like fries with that ? "
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa
lewis
DDK above all

Post by lewis »

This years entry for the Turner prize will be
lewis
68 912
corduroyboy
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by corduroyboy »

"Scheizer! Meine bratwurst ist scorched!" Hans reflected on his decision to fit an optional interior barbeque.
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

I'm liking it A LOT already!!!

Post by martinpcraven »

I KNEW (absolutely knew) that with a classic picture such as this one, I could not fail to inspire!!! Well done guys and gilrs and leep them coming. At this rate, judging is going to be a VERY tough task!!!

By the way - The website is now up and running too - Result all round!!!!

Keep it up as they say!!!
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

Old Bugga

Post by martinpcraven »

Old Bugga - something is troubling me and I cant quite put my finger on it. I think it might just be the pink in the colour scheme or maybe the way it resembles a Bex Bistle dustpan and brush........!!!

I may have to work out a slightly tougher Sales and Marketing strategy for that one so I may need to 'get back to you' on the idea!
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited
beachcomber
DDK Fanatic

904 GTS

Post by beachcomber »

This guy is coming NOWHERE near my 550 with a welding torch!!!

"Hans had warned the driver several times that the front discs were getting dangerously hot on the downward section of the Nurburgring"
Beachcomber
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

"Jurgen wondered how he'd explain to the boss how his "watch me light one" party trick had gone so horribly wrong"

:bootyshake: :violent3:

F
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
Car Collector
DDK Newbie

Post by Car Collector »

I have never really considered a 904 before but having read up on it, I'm really keen to see more about whats on offer. Do you have any more information please? If I 'were' interested, would it be an option to have the FIRST one produced, maybe even the prototype???

Maybe we could come to some arrangement whereby you (Classic Roadsters) used it to promote the model at shows etc and then I could have pictures etc for the portfolio??

I did see wah tlooked like a 904 in the States but when you look more closely, it was all out of proportion - I guess the 'original' that it was supposed to have come from was too!

Let me know what you thinkl.......
Jon
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

No Hans I definitely said Porsche NOT Porch!!!!!!!!!!!!
martinpcraven
DDK Fanatic

Post by martinpcraven »

Well I have to say that there were some GREAT entries and I would like to say a big thank you to all who 'took up the challenge' - I do hope it raised a smile!

I will be putting up another competition entry next week but in the meantime, as promised, I spoke to our illustrious leader (That's you Bootsy!) and he kindly offered to judge the entries and his comment was as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin, I have pondered and award the winner as Fraser Murray for his...

"Jurgen wondered how he'd explain to the boss how his "watch me light one" party trick had gone so horribly wrong"

I'll leave you to post the winner up.

Regards

Thomas
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for your support Bootsy!

Well done to Fraser - Obviously a budding talent there!!

Fraser, I am not sure if you would like the 904 advertising book as originally offered or whether you would like a poster or model of your choice from our website (www.ClassicRoadsters.co.uk) - The choice is yours. Perhaps you would be good enough to email me (Martinpcraven@BTinternet.com) with you choice and an address etc to send the item to?

Kindest regards

Again many thanks to one and all

Let me know your choice and I will happily get it off to you in the post ........
Martin Craven
Classic Roadster Limited