Thanks Nick

Would you know the part number?

Regards
Vaughan
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd

Post by Nick Moss »

There are 2 part numbers: 964 504 209 00 and 964 504 213 00 (spare wheel well)
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Enviro-Strip
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Enviro-Strip »

A 911 shell we have received from Nick Moss at Early 911 for paint strip, de-rust & 2Pk etch prime.
Attachments
Early 911.JPG
Early 911.JPG (96.51 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Enviro-Strip
DDK Seasoned Poster

Re: Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd - Early 911

Post by Enviro-Strip »

Not looking to bad at all Nick :)
Attachments
Early 911A.JPG
Early 911A.JPG (113.37 KiB) Viewed 653 times
Enviro-Strip
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Enviro-Strip »

A Porsche 356 coupe we have had come in for paint strip, de-rust & 2Pk etch prime.
356 Coupe.JPG
356 Coupe.JPG (99.57 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Attachments
356 Coupe (a).JPG
356 Coupe (a).JPG (104.07 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

That could be horrible! RR in the background? How does that look?
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Enviro-Strip
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Enviro-Strip »

The Range Rover had been done by another company causing the customer problems, we are now putting it through our process so he can complete the restoration, to be fair its not in bad condition!!
Barry

Post by Barry »

I saw Jamie's 912 the other day and was very impressed indeed.

It's clearly a sympathetic process, but I did have one question: have you opened up a car? I.e. what happens in the seams and in box sections? I can appreciate you're not introducing agressive acids etc, but are seams and box sections bare, or covered with part-cooked paint or what? Either way, what would you recommend the next stages to be (any welding aside) in order to preserve the shell in the future?

Absolutely not a pop, and like I say, I was very impressed with how Jamie's shell had come out. It's clearly a very different process from that of the (dreaded?) acid dip, my views on which have been voiced often on here.

Oh yes, and Jamie is indeed a very lucky (or keen eyed) boy: a cracking basis of something rather lovely 8) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I'm presently investigating options regarding the restoration of my 356SC, which should be landing on these shores later this month.

What is the effect of the Enviro-strip process on lead loaded areas of a shell?
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Think we have been waiting for an answer to Barry's question since last year ?
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Barry

Post by Barry »

To be fair, I did get an immediate response, albeit via P.M. for some reason, rather than on thread. Back in a mo: I'll find and copy it ....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Barry

Post by Barry »

"Hi Barry

We have not opened up a car ourselves but one of our customers did for us.

I went in to see Prodrive about doing their shells, they explained the problems they were having with the shells that had been done by someone else & showed me a shell that had been done 18 months earlier, it wasn't good!!!

After doing the first shell for them they invited me back down while they cut all the box sections open to see if any residue etc was trapped inside, all areas were spotless clean and completely dry, we have now completed several shells for them and they have recommended us to all their customers.

As well as de-rusting & cleaning the metal back up our chemical does help protect the steel, we then immerse the shell in a rust inhibitor & low bake it for 2-3 hours to remove any moisture. If we etch prime the shell we have various attachments to get in the box sections as far as we can, customers then use wax oils etc, I would recommend a company called Rustbuster who have some excellent products on the market.

We do regular work for some very high end Porsche restoration company's such as SVP, Early 911, R-to RSR & RPM Technik, all of which we have done several shells for.

Hopefully the reputation we are building will help convince people this is a good process & eliminates the horror story's you here about other processes."

Not sure why they P.M'ed rather than reply on thread, as it was a prompt and reasonable response.

As far as I'm aware, Jamie's car is still heading to me, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy for me to report back with a objective view.

As most will know, I'm 100% against the Surface Processing style dip. I'm very happy to keep an open mind with Enviro Strip (and similar), and happy to give 100% accurate and honest feedback once I've worked on a shell.

For newcomers to the forum, I only take shells in once blasted or dipped, and have commissioned (or taken commission from) neither process. Therefore have no legacy cars to sway judgement. My current default view is that whilst blasting isn't perfect (you have to hot-scrape the underseal off, and cavities end up with loose blast media trickling out just when the painter least needs it), the hidden cavities and seams retain their factory e-coat, primer + cavity waxes where added. Therefore, these places remain protected, unlike traditionally dipped shells. Re: E-coated shells end up with e-coat in the 'easy' areas, but not in the critical seams, which retain a dilute acid solution, sitting on either pickled e-coat / paint or rust. In short, my few experiences with re-E-coated cars suggest that the E-coat is too thick to penetrate the seams, unlike the (water-thin) acid that precedes the E-coat.

As I said before, my initial impressions of Jamie's shell were excellent, with no rust bleeding evident at the time. I'm genuinely fascinated to be able to unpick some seams (as we need to do anyway) and see how the hidden areas look.
Barry

Post by Barry »

BTW, I still think that Envirostrip should have gone to a local breakers, bought a random shell, treated it, then cut it open, say eight or twelve weeks later.

They then could have posted photo's of opened seams and cavities (or invited interested parties to visit whilst they cut a shell up) to prove the process. Cost to them would be a £200 shell from random car, plus one space on the line. Cheap promotion I reckon.
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Interesting. Thanks Barry.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle