Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Help with IVA Test question

Post by greg356a »

Hi, Hope someone can help with a question,

The IVA standard details;
11. A Fuel Tank must not be located in, or form part of the passenger compartment, or other compartment integral with it and the bulkhead that separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through which any escaped fuel could travel.

Can the fuel tank still be fitted under the bonnet? :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
ger
DDK addict

Re: Help with IVA Test question

Post by ger »

I believe so, however, you will need an external filler, (and a sealed bulkhead of course)

See mdmax72 thread here.....

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... nal+filler
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Thanks for the link. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Greg
you can still fit the fuel tank under the bonnet, as Ger said, the rules state you must have an external filler.

Just a word of advise, go through all the IVA forms, especially regarding the rules for the use of the Donor Chassis. Would be a shame for it end up on a Q plate...

If you got anything your not sure about fire away, if l can help l will.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the offer I will pm you some questions very soon.

Whilst a Q-Plate is not in keeping, does it have any adverse affect on the sales price?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

I would say yes to that Greg ! youd be surprised how many people comment or look at your reg :roll:
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

I am really confused with the rules about IVA and kit cars. Is it not now possible to register the car with a current year number plate ?? I understood that TAX exemption was no longer available on cars that go through IVA (so not much point in retaining the donor number plate), but I didn't realize that dvla could issue a dreaded Q plate !!!!!
Pilgrim "California" Speedster
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Basically if you go through the IVA. DVLA will take the number plate asigned to the donor and remove it from the data base. As your Vehicle will have gone through the IVA and meet today's criteria that car manufacturers have to abide by. (Apart from crash tests ) It will be classed as a new car. You will have 3 years MOT free motoring. On the new Log Book issued it will state year of Manufacture 2013 or whenever you pass the IVA. You'll be issued with an age related plate of the donor vehicle. Even if the donor has Historic Road Tax, you will loose that entitlement and have to pay for your road tax based on the emissions. That's another topic.

DVLA will only issue a Q plate if not enought parts from the donor vehicle are used in your build, ie front axle, rear axle, gearbox, engine, chassis, steering, suspension etc. From memory it's either 5 or 3 major parts which need to be used from the donor vehicle. Another thing, whatever engine you use you need to prove the age of the engine. Not when it was rebuild etc, needs to be age of Manufacture. This is to see whether it will qualify for a smoke test on MOT's or whether it will have to pass emissions tests basically.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Rich,
Great information. I think you need to be able to declare two major components from the donor out of the five options to avoid a Q-plate, ie rear axle and chassis.
I know the date of the engine via the internet, but what evidence do they need?
So, if they remove your number plate and give you an age related plate, I assume you then cant change the plate latter?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
stevesprite
DDK above all

Post by stevesprite »

Thanks Rich

that makes it clearer to me . :)
Pilgrim "California" Speedster