defender clutch issues?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

defender clutch issues?

Post by neilbardsley »

Mrs B has broken the landie again. This time she was driving on the M1 and the car iumped out of gear and refused to re engage in a gear. The recovery chap said something about the clutch going but that doesn't make sense to me? I thought the clutch was only used when changing gears?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nick Moss

Re: defender clutch issues?

Post by Nick Moss »

With the engine running it's impossible to get into gear without a clutch. There could be several failure points; the master or slave cylinder, the hydraulic pipes and hoses, the fork, the bearing or the plate. You my be able to get the car into gear without the engine running, then start it in gear. Best leave it to the dealer.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

Probably the master cylinder. Not an expensive part and not too hard to replace. Buy Land Rover though because I've used 2 Britpart ones in the past and they've both failed very quickly. Can't see why it would jump out of gear though, it should stay in gear quite happily. Now its been recovered can you get it into gear with the engine running? What about when not running?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Panic over Mrs b had knocked the diff lock into neutral!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Doh!
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

I guess you mean the transfer box popped into neutral? It doesn't say much for the recovery chap that he diagnosed that as the clutch failed...
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

dragonfly wrote:I guess you mean the transfer box popped into neutral? It doesn't say much for the recovery chap that he diagnosed that as the clutch failed...
That is exactly what the garage said that she was recovered to!!