For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Rebuilding the 959

Post by Roarmac »

Hello.
My name is Roar Olsen from Norway.
I have a quite a project going on rebuilding a crashed 959. If there are people that you know that had a lot of experience or expertise please pass them on to me.

Also people with parts I would like to talk to..

Thanks,
Roar
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Rebuilding the 959

Post by Bertroex »

Hi Roar,

Welcome to the forum. You do like a challenge!

I wonder whether it was you who bought a crashed 959 that was originally silver and belonged to a farmer in Lincolnshire, UK?

Sadly, I don't have any parts or any contacts, but (retired?) DDK-er pmjt rebuild a prototype 959 and might still have good contacts at the factory and with Porsche Cars GB: the only point, I understood, where UK based 959's can receive technical and maintenance support within the Official Porsche Network.

Kind regards,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

A link to your thread on Pelican where Wayne Dempsey (another owner) is assisting:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... 959-a.html
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Post by Roarmac »

davep wrote:A link to your thread on Pelican where Wayne Dempsey (another owner) is assisting:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... 959-a.html

Roar
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Just read the whole thread on Pelican. Nice. :)
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

Just had a look at the first few pics on your Pelican thread...

I'd love to fix that...

Had to have a quick look at 959 Parts prices...
At £16344.99 for a roof skin there will be a lot of fixing or making!

Most of the parts are 959 numbers but looking at a few pics I'd bet some are adapted from contemporary 911 parts from a 3.2 Carrera.
Porsche didn't have loads of money back then but they did have some proper metal workers...

The roof looks alot like a de seamed 3.2 Panel with some Fab work along the side windows...
The door frames, side windows and rear window seal are 911 part numbers so...

I'd have a measure up and if it works out buy a donor 911 shell and I think you already have a good fabricator lined up

Trip to the factory with a digital camera and several memory cards is in your future sir!
http://www.911rrr.com

Baltic 3.2 Carrera
Ornamental 911 Gulf RS 3.4 hotrod...
Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Post by Roarmac »

crisc204 wrote:Just had a look at the first few pics on your Pelican thread...

I'd love to fix that...

Had to have a quick look at 959 Parts prices...
At £16344.99 for a roof skin there will be a lot of fixing or making!

Most of the parts are 959 numbers but looking at a few pics I'd bet some are adapted from contemporary 911 parts from a 3.2 Carrera.
Porsche didn't have loads of money back then but they did have some proper metal workers...

The roof looks alot like a de seamed 3.2 Panel with some Fab work along the side windows...
The door frames, side windows and rear window seal are 911 part numbers so...

I'd have a measure up and if it works out buy a donor 911 shell and I think you already have a good fabricator lined up

Trip to the factory with a digital camera and several memory cards is in your future sir!

Hi.
Thanks for your ideas..
The roof bit is under control. I have good contact with classic which have given me good help.
The roof has exactly the same dimensions as a regular 911 roof parts from the gutters and the area around the deck lid.

Regards,
Roar
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

How did you get the roof sorted?
Did you take any moulds from a Donor 911 Shell and rework (which is my train of thought) or take a copy from another 959.

Is the factory the only place to buy 959 Panels?

The Kevlar/unobtainium/unicorn/whale/rhino-horn mix Porsche used on the panels was extremely dear then, but other people offer Porsche Carbon/Kevlar roof Skin's for motorsport at fraction of the price nowdays

The 959 was the car I had a big Poster of when I was a Kid!
i used to know "everything" about them back then :lol:

I've got a Aluminium 993 Bonnet here I have stashed away for my next project, not sure if thats any good to you or even needed... IIRC they had a "911" Alloy Bonnet didn't they.

Sorry I can't give you a lead on other parts but I have a genuine interest, I'll be reading thought the Pelican thread later and would love to read more
Cris
http://www.911rrr.com

Baltic 3.2 Carrera
Ornamental 911 Gulf RS 3.4 hotrod...
Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Post by Roarmac »

crisc204 wrote:How did you get the roof sorted?
Did you take any moulds from a Donor 911 Shell and rework (which is my train of thought) or take a copy from another 959.

Is the factory the only place to buy 959 Panels?

The Kevlar/unobtainium/unicorn/whale/rhino-horn mix Porsche used on the panels was extremely dear then, but other people offer Porsche Carbon/Kevlar roof Skin's for motorsport at fraction of the price nowdays

The 959 was the car I had a big Poster of when I was a Kid!
i used to know "everything" about them back then :lol:

I've got a Aluminium 993 Bonnet here I have stashed away for my next project, not sure if thats any good to you or even needed... IIRC they had a "911" Alloy Bonnet didn't they.

Sorry I can't give you a lead on other parts but I have a genuine interest, I'll be reading thought the Pelican thread later and would love to read more
Cris
Hi Cris:)
The roof panel is made up by 5 layers of fiber, 1 aramid and 4 layers of fiberglass. Aramid in the center. In additional they have used Nomex for strength(just like they do in airplanes) in the center of the roof. About 80 cm by 80 cm.
What we have done so far is make molds of the c post and planning to use the original to make a mold and use as much of the original as possible to make the new one. The original is not very nice but is repairable. I have repaired quite a bit of it, but a nice mold would have been very nice..:)

I`m awere of that there is other alternatives in terms of racing parts, but trying to the longest to use the original parts for the originality...I have a brilliant guy helping me out with the Aramid such that I think it is in the best of hands...
If your guys need some fiber work done in England I warmly would recommend Henry Nickless. He has made some kit cars and his home page is Chiron.

Regards,
Roar
Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Post by Roarmac »

Hi guys:)
I very much appreciate all the inputs and not least the help given by former member Pmjt:) great guy:)
If there is people you know who has the barn full of 959 stuff(not so likely, I see that one), please contact me such that we can fill the small gaps to get this baby where it belongs..
The main things I miss now is:
Front windshield outer gasket, gaskets and maybe some internals for the left door.
Left mirror(will be able to sort the one I have though)
Brake fluid tank.
Engine covers(3 of them, 2 Kevlar/fiber and one alu.

I could also need a good alu guy. I have decided to repair my old hood(front), luckily I have a new one but it would be I nice challenge to have the old one back in shape as well.
What I need is a guy that can skin it?
Any ideas folks?

Thanks,
Roar
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Rebuilding the 959

Post by Bruce M »

If Barry can't he will know who can.
Roarmac
DDK Newbie

Post by Roarmac »

Bruce M wrote:If Barry can't he will know who can.
The question is than: who is Barry :) :lol:

Regards,
Roar
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Rebuilding the 959

Post by Bruce M »

Some say....