Cavity Wax - Options, thoughts, experiences ?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Cavity Wax - Options, thoughts, experiences ?

Post by jackstowers »

Im having a new floorpan in my 914 and have noticed a few places that act as moisture traps. To help prevent having to have too much more welding done in years to come I thought Id squirt something deep into my cavities. Whats best? Where should I poke it? Where shouldnt I poke it?
Thanks
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Cavity Wax - Options, thoughts, experiences ?

Post by haasad »

I'm a great fan of good old waxoyl. Warm it up and thin a little with white spirit to spray / inject. It really does find its way in ( and out on hot days)

Andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

I'm quite the opposite to Andy and think that Waxoyl is a pain in the ass and needs reapplying regularly.

Dinitrol is my recommendation
http://www.rust.co.uk/products/category ... ofing-wax/
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Ha ha! thats great instant confusion and two different opinions. I dont intend to be reapplying frequently (at all if Im honest) it just seems like the right time to treat those hard to reach areas to some form of rust inhibitor.
I'll wait for the deciding vote
Waxoyl 1-1 Dinitrol
Extra time golden goal!
David

1973 914 zambezi green
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Dinitrol works straight out of the can whatever the weather, temp, etc. I've always got some handy to blow over repairs.

I found with waxoyl it just seems to dry out and disappear.
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

I find Wurth cavity wax very good but have used waxoyl in the past with ok results.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Lets confuse you even more

In my humble opinion - Tectyl is the best

I ran tests on everything that I could lay my hands on in the 80`s and sprayed up shot-blasted test pieces
We then exposed them to the elements on the banks of the Thames and awaited the result

Tectyl came out on top BUT - Dinitrol was NOT part of that test

There are a lot of variations in the Tecty range but we always use 506 for Flat services and ML for Cavities
ML comes in an aerosol can with a flexible tube (sorry I am not at the rock Pile and cannot remember the size of the cans)

Ring Kevin or Paul on 07000 356 911 if you need that info
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Just to further add to your confusion, I've heard nothing but good things about U-Pol Raptor. It's a stupid name, but supposedly works very well. I've certainly had excellent results with the U-Pol products I've used in the past.
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

Stolen from a landrover forum (warning - bit of a long story!):
Waxoil….

I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….
I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…
I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boling water…….
I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….
I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………
Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…
Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….
Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….
1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….
I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……
Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wifes love of her life…..
The cat….
It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…
“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…
Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…
Could I boll*cks….
The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirt mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..
Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….
Some waxoil drpped onto the lead lamp….
Ping….
Blackness…….
Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved friutfull, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……
Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……
This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….
1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very Censored off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen fllor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….
Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……
She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPADTE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....
"have a nice time dear ?......."
"what the HELL is that smell ?"
"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"
"Is that what it is - its disgusting"
"Er..really"....
"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."
"er...really ?"
"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house "
"really"
"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling
"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and
SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

brilliant!
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Good story, aerosol and outside on a nice day methinks whichever product I finally choose
David

1973 914 zambezi green
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

I use this stuff http://www.rust.co.uk/products/product/ ... ofing-wax/ also from rust .co.uk. I find that heating in boiling water helps but thinning is also an option. Does not come off!!! Metal, plastic, spray equipment, hands etc.

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

Love the waxoyl saga.... The reason why I use waxoyl is that as an apprentice we used to coat cast gearbox cases with it which were used in extremely harsh conditions, wet salty and warm. After about 5 years service they would always steam off and show clean metal. But I'm a creature of habit and haven't tried any of the other recommendations . I will add that I thinkWaxoyl broke down the acrylic seam sealer under my rear arches ...its going to be a horrible job cleaning, resealing and repainting.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Dinitrol
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by stuby »

If anyone wants some Dinitrol I have access to plenty - give me a shout

Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!