Hello from Aberdeenshire

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

misteralz
DDK forever

Hello from Aberdeenshire

Post by misteralz »

Well, I've been lurking here for long enough and the activation email finally arrived this morning, so...

Hello. I'm Al, I'm 31 and I live in the wilds of Aberdeenshire with one wife, two kids, a small amount of livestock and this:

I'm no stranger to aircooled stuff at all! In this past week our nice new 'agricultural shed and workshop' has finally started to go up, ostensibly for keeping animal feed in, wool-making equipment, tools and stuff and this:

And naturally it will house all that - although the cab will have to come off the 3 to get it through the doors. The workshop space will likely be taken up by this:

Which actually needs a lot less work than you'd think. And I've some space left to play with. A big, early 911-shaped space. I've been obsessed with cars since I was a toddler - probably earlier, to be fair - and one of the earliest drawings I did that my mum's got cherished somewhere is of a convertible Beetle. Full of rabbits, but y'know what a 4 year old's imagination is like. Looking at my primary school jotters you'd get no points at all for guessing I quite liked mk2 Golf GTIs, splitties and yep, you guessed it, early 911s. It's an itch that's come and gone, and I've got quite nice examples of two out of those three, but that early 911 itch remains unscratched. The itching's back now. I've got the space to devote to a project now. I've built hot mk2 GTIs and a few aircooled VW engines. I've taught myself to weld, and I'm only going to get better at that as my early bay progresses.

So I find myself here. Soaking up as much information as I can, hoping to make some good contacts - and hopefully good friends - and hopefully within the year if not behind the wheel of something pre-impact bumper, then at least owning the bones of one to make my own.

:)
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire

Post by orkneydave »

Welcome Al,

I live a wee bit further up in Orkney (particularly like your first picture! ;-) )

I'm sure you will enjoy the forum!
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Thanks Dave!
That was taken the summer before last - we were up there for a week and loved every moment of it. The place is just so serene and gorgeous and friendly.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome aboard
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Welome Al. It's great to have a mate 1/2 mile down the road who is a ddker :P

Ian

DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Wondered if you were going to be on here, Pip. Nice to see that you are. And it's a mile, I've tracked it on GPS and everything. :P
How's yours coming along now? Have you got a build thread on here? And are you coming along to my garage warming? :)

Thanks Bootsy. Always enjoyed your Friday Porsche Thread over on VZi, but I've not been on there in ages!
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Hello Al, I'm new here too.. and I'm probably the only one admiring the majesty of your Mk1; too bad you can't keep the cab on it. We'll be moving to your neck of the woods this summer.

Stuart