Bring a 356 to the UK

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Re: Bring a 356 to the UK

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

Well done Neil

Torsion bar covers come off easily and PRS / Roger Bray can post you replacements although they might not be the same colour.

Anyway I hope you can make CLM this year as the drive suits the 356 really well.

I will keep an eye out for a red 356 anyway! My 356 is having a rest this year and I am accompanying a mate in a camper van !

Anyway enjoy

Regards Jeremy
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm trying to fill in the V55/%

Someone seemed to think that I don't have fill this in if not any idea what the number is for a 356?

10 Type Approval Number/Category
Details

To be taken from the European Certificate
of Conformity (ECOC) (Field number 0.6 in
the case of a ECOC for a car), or the Single
Vehicle Approval (SVA) Certificate (Class
Code). If you are unsure what to enter
please ask for advice at your local DVLA
office.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

You don't need to fill that in ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thanks. I was also told I may have to take the car to the DVLA office with me because they may want to check the vin number?

Next is the guess of where/how to put the UK plate on the car? It looks like I'm allowed a square (ish) rather than long thin rectangle on the back? Can I get this style of number plate from Halfords.

What about the front? Under the bumper? I quick look in the pictures of member 356s shows many variants. On the bumper, above the bumper, under, stuck on the the bonnent above the bumper and finally no front reg number (http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 7&start=75)? I'm pretty certain that you have to have a front reg number in this country?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
BAHumbug
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BAHumbug »

Neil
Here's a link to Shane B's Outlaw build chronicled a year or so ago both here and on the 356 Registry site (see 6/30/10 and 9/22/10). In California in the 1960's the "surfer's" cross and other former WWII German military insignias were popular with the anti-establishment set. Bikers wore German helmets and car guys like Dean Jeffries designed the torsion bar cover that is apparently on your car. Note the shift knob is also a German insignia.

http://www.hamiltonclassics.com/Balkowitsch.htm

We Yanks, especially those born after the war, don't have the lasting memories that I think are more prevalent in Great Britain. The horror of the war passed out of the public consciousness possibly because of the economic prosperity of the post war period and the new threat: Communism. As soon as the 1960s there was a comedy(?!) television show, "Hogan's Heros" about Allied POWs in a German prison camp.

Your insignia was intended to mean "this is a cool car" and not anything poloitical.
Wow, that ended up being quite a rant, sorry.
Happy Motoring,
Bruce
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

BAHumbug wrote:Neil
Here's a link to Shane B's Outlaw build chronicled a year or so ago both here and on the 356 Registry site (see 6/30/10 and 9/22/10). In California in the 1960's the "surfer's" cross and other former WWII German military insignias were popular with the anti-establishment set. Bikers wore German helmets and car guys like Dean Jeffries designed the torsion bar cover that is apparently on your car. Note the shift knob is also a German insignia.

http://www.hamiltonclassics.com/Balkowitsch.htm

We Yanks, especially those born after the war, don't have the lasting memories that I think are more prevalent in Great Britain. The horror of the war passed out of the public consciousness possibly because of the economic prosperity of the post war period and the new threat: Communism. As soon as the 1960s there was a comedy(?!) television show, "Hogan's Heros" about Allied POWs in a German prison camp.

Your insignia was intended to mean "this is a cool car" and not anything poloitical.
Wow, that ended up being quite a rant, sorry.
Indeed I figured that a kind of cool Red Baron car. However, I had to google it to check that it wasn't a Nazi symbol but was from WW1. I figured better off than on. As the garage that checked it over for it's MOT said as soon as I took it in, "Don't park it in Golders Green" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golders_Green).

PS saw thread the Balkowitsch Outlaw really cool car! It was one of the car which set me on the 356 hunt!
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Neil,

I lot of 'A's have square black plates on the rear but I have seen many rectangular ones as well. I have the square version and the front secured to the bumper with 2 screws straight through the round rubber deco trim. ( This is the way the front plate was put on by the importer in 59. I had the originals for years till I changed them for the aluminium ones you see on my photos below in the 70's.)

You can buy brackets that raise the plate up away from the bumper. I personally don't like that method. I also put a reflective 'stick on plate' on the front of the car in the 60's and it stayed there only a short time as it looked all wrong.

The torsion bar covers you can get from PRS seen them listed with photo on his website.

Image[/img]Image
Image[/img]Image

There are a number of 'classic black number plate' suppliers around in classic car magazines. These will stamp the numbers so they are raised in the aluminium don't know what Halfords offer.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I doubt halfords offer a vintage plate, probably only the modern reflecting type.
You can use framptons for this: http://pl8s.co.uk/
I have bought a couple of sets from them and they look great.
I think the square rear plate always looks better.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
mycar

Post by mycar »

Some further reading on the subject of number plates here...

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... lit=plates

Regards, Mike.
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

I use(d) a company called States Plates here in the UK who can do your number in a US sized ali plate stamping, plus it also lets you add wording at the top and bottom.....
http://www.states-plates.com/

Ive had them on three of my custom cars, and, so long as the age of the car is able to run non-reflective age related plates, Ive never been stopped or warned over them by the Police.
( I do think allowances can be made for import cars than only have US Sized plate spaces however)

Anyway, hope this helps.
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Can I charge my mobile from the cigarette lighter since my car is a 6v or do I have to buy an adaptor?
mycar

Post by mycar »

The charger should work fine Neil, as will a sat nav.

Regards, Mike.
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Not sure if it will work :?

You could make a 6v to 12v converter.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/6-12c ... mments=all

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII