Gear box problem, throw out fifth gear

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Rickard M
DDK Fanatic

Gear box problem, throw out fifth gear

Post by Rickard M »

Hello! (911 -71)
Hope you can help me and tell me what may have started to fuss with my gearbox. Yesterday it started to throw out of fifth gear all the time. Thought at first that perhaps it was because the box was moving, so compressed the rubbers in the front beam (motor pads are changed already) with large washers, got better in the gear stick lever and after adjusted according to the instructions on the pelican (http://www.pelicanparts. com/techarticles/911_shifting_improvements/911_shifting_improvements.htm) I feel like I can find distinct positions but fifth gear still jumps out, has worked well before, what can be wrong? Should I try to adjust any more, hope I do not need renovate the the box, expensive and just in the beginning of summer :cry:
1971 911T
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Re: Gear box problem, throw out fifth gear

Post by impmad2000 »

Check you gear box oil level and top up if necessary.
Was the problem with mine when it 1st started to do this.
(911 box)
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Rickard M
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rickard M »

okey, good advice, I have to check that, thanks. Was your level very low? Or is it very exactly?
Although there are a few small blue spots (swepco) on the floor, it takes the long time before it becomes a quantity of oil...

BR Rickard (911 box too I think)
1971 911T
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI Rickard
do you have a 901/911 box or a 915?? where is Rev on the gear lever?? as it could just be adjustment or the bushes worn in the lever if this has just started?

regards mike
Rickard M
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rickard M »

Hi Mike, I think it´s a "911" box
The cup bush under the lever is new also in the in the coupler Image
Been away and haven´t had time to check the oil yet, can I tilt the car a bit and over fil slightly as well? If this doesn´t help I need to try adjust more but I thought it seemed ok, It feels like I find all the gears and can feel some small play in the rod by the coupler both back and forth an rotate at fifth.
Regarding the oil, I think I change it all at the same time, (so I can look for particles) Don´t think I have 2,5 litre Swepco left but I guess it´s ok to mix with other mineral?
1971 911T
Rickard M
DDK Fanatic

Post by Rickard M »

Jippi! Seems to work better now, anyway, after my brief but hard test drive. :) Lifted the car up front and rear in level so I came in under. Dropped out of gear oil, did not find no more junk than glitz and full plug magnet. Doesn´t seemed to have been low level either, because it came a little as soon as I opened the level peg, Filled again, did not have blue swepco so it was enough, 3.75 liters in the can and 2,5 went in for about maybe 10000km ago, so mixed with other mineral, seemed to mix well. Then I wanted to get it to go a little deeper on 5th so I pushed the bar and the coupler together more.

EDIT: Took a longer ride today, fifth grade still jumps out at times, even though it felt a bit better now, had no problems when I ran a little harder, I thought, but it was mainly when I "slow crusing" below 3000 rpm. So, any idea what could be the problem?
1971 911T