My 'new longer-term project' ...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: My 'new longer-term project' ...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The original 904's used Nadella axles which utlise a type of 'Hardy Spicer' universal joint &, in addition to being quite rare & consequently 'pricey', they are very difficult to find replacement parts for.

Consequently, most 904's have been converted to use later 911-type CV joint rear axles.

As mentioned previously I am using an uprated close-ratio 914 gearbox so in order to take advantage of the larger CV joints used in the 2.7/3.0 911 models, I needed to swap the existing splined output shafts in the transmission for the 100mm/6-bolt type used in mid-year models. A 'wanted' ad on DDK resulted in a pair of suitable shafts wending their way to me from the wilds of Cumbria - thanks to Mike Bainbridge.

After cleaning & some token paint, they were ready to install :wink: :

Last edited by Lightweight_911 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sladey

Post by sladey »

Good stuff - I especially like the steering wheel

Dunno if this is of any use during your coffee break Andy :wink:
http://psychcentral.com/ocdquiz.htm
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

:lol:
KS

Post by KS »

Oh great – I scored 23... :(
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well done Andy, as we know it's all in the detail!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Lightweight_911

Another area of the car that I wanted to make changes to in order to bring it closer to the originals was that of the headlamps.

Obviously from an availability point of view (& to keep costs/time down to realistic levels) Barrie supplies/fits an 'off the shelf' headlamp assembly:

However, on an original 904, the headlamps fit slightly further forward & incorporate a (visible) chrome trim ring:

I hit upon the idea of using a set of US-spec 911 headlamp housings & had several pairs available from cars I'd imported so decided to offer some up to see if they could be used.

With very little modification it seemed as though they would do the trick, so I chose my best set & cleaned them in readiness:

- & trial-fitted them with some suitable Carello headlight units:

After studying numerous original 904's it seemed as though the headlight of choice 'back in the day' was the Marchal Equilux as used on most high performance cars of the '50's/'60's/'70's.

There is a minefield of different varieties of Equilux used by different manufacturers/models but I eventually managed to narrow it down to 4 possible versions which were period-correct for the mid-60's & have been searching for a suitable pair for a number of months - unfortunately, due to their association with Ferraris of the era, prices aren't what you could term 'bargain basement' !

There is always a selection of Equilux headlamps on ebay (especially, as you'd expect, in France) but they're virtually all incorrect size/model &/or fitment.

I know where I can buy some new ones but I do enjoy the chase (!) & would prefer to use good/secondhand if possible.

Unexpectedly I found a suitable single unit yesterday at the Newark Autojumble for £5 ... :wink:

Here's an original (unrestored) 904 fitted with a Marchal Equilux headlamp:

- & here's my £5 buy before cleaning:

It looks as though the Marchal 'shield' in my bargain find is higher up on the lens but it's down to the angle - it's the same headlight.
Andy

Kuroneko
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Kuroneko »

Rolf Stommelen's chassis Nr.102 for inspiration... H4s mounted up front these days. Neko.

Lightweight_911

Another detail that I planned to change was the seatbelts/harnesses - I just don't like the look of modern harnesses (& in particular the 'hardware').

Since the 904 was/is a race car, harnesses, by necessity, have to conform to current local &/or FIA sanctioning bodies so it is quite difficult to find examples of what would have been fitted originally - indeed there almost certainly wasn't a std fitment (they were options).

However, many period photos show American Racing/Safequip/Race-Quip harnesses & 904-028 which has been owned by Alex Pollock since 1970 still has this original type fitted:

Now, it just so happened that I had a pair of these harnesses languishing in the back of my garage ... :wink:

- but the webbing was 45 years old, the shoulder belts are only 2in wide (& too long) & the hardware on the ends of the belts needed swapping around to give the correct configuration.

Similar belts are currently available but would still need altering - & I really didn't want new.

So I tracked down some of the extra period-correct belt ends & adjusters that I needed:

rubbed through the unwanted cadmium-plated finish on the adjusters & sourced the correct pattern 3" black webbing:

- & finally cleaned up the other hardware - managing to retain the right degree of patina :

They're now ready to be sent off for professional replacement of the webbing/checking the hardware.

Don't worry about the webbing looking too 'new' when they return - I have a plan involving some talcum powder ... :wink:
Andy

Lightweight_911

When discussing my engine earlier in this thread, I showed pictures of the 906-style lightened flywheel that I'm fitting & my intention to use a '69S/906 lightweight clutch.

I've had a few enquiries asking for details of the weight -saving with this set-up so here are the approx figures:

Std '65-'69 911 2.0 (& 914/6) flywheel = 5.73-5.86 Kg (they seem to vary)

My lightweight 906-style flywheel* = 4.2 Kg

Std '65-'69 911 2.0 (& 914/6) all-steel clutch pressure plate = 4.3 Kg

'69S/906 lightweight aluminium/steel clutch pressure plate = 3.1 Kg

So the total weight-saving is around 2.8 Kg (1.6 Kg from the flywheel & 1.2 Kg from the pressure plate) - quite important/useful at 8000rpm !

*since I want to be able to use the car on the road without too many problems, I didn't want to lighten the flywheel too drastically.
Andy

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

From my memoriess of my 69S, it also had a thinner (therefore lighter) centre plate. I ordered a standard centre plate at one point, and the clutch would not clear, so engine and box back out again - Doh! :?

Cheers!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Lightweight_911

That's right - & none of the parts have been available for many years ... luckily I managed to find a NOS alloy/steel pressure plate & 2 x NOS thinner '69S clutch discs. :wink:
Andy

Lightweight_911

Minor update - received my re-webbed harnesses back this morning from FDTS - very quick turnaround & great work:

FDTS have been manufacturing/refurbishing aviation & automotive seat belts & harnesses for over 45 years & can handle any type of related work:

http://www.fdts-seatbelts.co.uk/Contact-us.html
Andy

Miggs
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Miggs »

Andy one word

WOW
COMPUTER GAMES DONT AFFECT KIDS,I MEAN IF PACMAN AFFECTED MY GENERATION AS KIDS, WE WOULD HAVE ALL BE RUNNING AROUND IN THE DARK LISTENING TO REPETITIVE MUSIC MUNCHING PILLS
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Great attention to these details, you have so much patience!

To the general car itself, where are you with that?
Are you having Barry build the essential part or what have you done/are doing?

Graham.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Miggs wrote:Andy one word
WOW
+1 Just come across this thread. You are a very brave man!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP