Starter Motor

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Richi996
Married to the DDK

Starter Motor

Post by Richi996 »

I have a 915 gearbox and starter ex my 911E 2.4 Ltr Engine . the gearbox has been bolted onto my high compression 2.8 Ltr .
Last time i ran the engine i noticed how slow it turned over .. so was wondering if anybody has used an after market high torque motor .. where value for money and quality are on par ... :?:

Cheers Rich
Richard
73 RS Rep with 2.8l Twin Plug
Ducati 996 Foggy Rep
1 wife and 1 Boy
dugsud
Married to the DDK

Re: Starter Motor

Post by dugsud »

Brise do a nice unit, a bit dearer than some but lovely quality and very light. I've had one on for 20k+ miles with no probs.

http://www.brise.co.uk/Porsche_starter_motors.html

Doug Sudron
83' 911SC
Triumph Tiger 1050
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

It might be worth ensuring your main earth is clean before parting with your cash. You should have an earth from the gearbox to the rear bulk head. Might be worth checking the main feed as well.

Kind regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Richi996
Married to the DDK

Post by Richi996 »

Thank you both for the feedback ... my earth connection is squeeky clean ... i think it is just my starter was fitted to a 911E so only producing 0.8 ps instead of the later more powerfull 1.5 ps . has anybody tried the Cambridge Motor sport ones .. they come in a little bit less expensive then the brise units . Otherwise i presume i can buy / use any starter up until the G50 from 1987 :?: for my 915 box .

Cheers Richard
Richard
Ducati 996 Foggy Rep
1 wife and 1 Boy
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Richard,
I have a 915 gearbox mated to a 2.7 with raised compression. I needed a new starter motor and went for an aftermarket lightweight high torque unit. Started with an external solenoid unit and moved onto the internal geared unit when that did not work. Maybe it was bad luck but neither design worked all the time. They would jam. I reverted to a rebuilt Lucas unit in the end and so far it has worked well.
I certainly got adept at taking starters in and out. I have a modern competition loom fitted and checked the earth and connections before I started changing the starter motor.
I am told by those that should know that the Porsche does not seem to suit this type of starter motor, perhaps it is the heat in that area?
I don't want to put you off going for a high torque unit but I would have a spare standard unit available if you do go down that route.
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have had a Brize for 3 years on my 3.2 in the racer, no probs at all. I needed weight saving and compact package.
On my 911T hotrod with 915/3.2 the starter was sluggish (original starter) but fresh batteries has made it 2 x faster....
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Richi996
Married to the DDK

Post by Richi996 »

Thanks for the feedback .. just noticed Jerry that you are in the Warwickshire area .. will send you a PM .. never know we could be neighbours :)
I have just finished installing my front mounted oil cooler and the 2 battery boxes have now each excepted a 4 inch venting duct ... so the only option is to fit a battery in the smugglers box ....... this means i will have to go down the HT starter option ... looking on the Pelican site a few people have installed the cambridge one with no issues ... i also met them at a classic car show and the quality looked very nice .. what would life be without decisons and trying to convince the misses indoors that the expense is justified :lol:
Richard
Ducati 996 Foggy Rep
1 wife and 1 Boy
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by moriarty »

I have used a 3.2ltr 1.5hp starter on my 2.4T,-fantastic!! fits straight on with no issues, fairly easy to come by s/h and a lot cheaper than after market hi-torque starters! (trust in Dr Porsche)
Moriarty
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Neil Bainbridge was talking to me the other day about hi-torque starters ... might be worth giving him a call
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Richi996
Married to the DDK

Post by Richi996 »

Thanks the reply ... i think i will go the Mr Porsche way and get a 1.5 hp starter .... just seems to be a lot of negative issues regarding these high torque motors and would i'd rather use the money for better upgrades .. like a full kit of Superpro bushes :wink:
Richard
Ducati 996 Foggy Rep
1 wife and 1 Boy