Hiring a campervan/motorhome - newbie advice needed

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Hiring a campervan/motorhome - newbie advice needed

Post by gridgway »

One of this year's race meetings is about as far away as you can get up in Wales. Well it feels that way.

So far I have used travelodges for me and Miss Ridgway to stay at the races. As this one will have a sat night BBQ as well, we fancy renting a van/motorhome for the weekend (thurs, fri, sat nights).

I am a complete camp novice (!) so have no idea what they are about. So I thought I'd ask here.

So what do you need in a campervan, what are the options and where can one hire one in Surrey? In fact can they be hired for the weekend?

Cheers
Graham
james912
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by james912 »

I have used this place before and they were very good if you fancy a retro bus or something a bit newer.

http://www.vanillasplits.com/html/home.html
---------------------
James
1969 White (Originally Burgundy) )912
59 Grande Punto D Sporting(Daily)
57 Smart
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Hiring an old VW is a dangerous way to a new hobby! Do you need to tow a race car with it, if so you may struggle to find a hirer that can handle towing. Why not arrange an "extended test drive" from a dealer.......
The big questions are imho 1: how much power you want?, 2 do you need or want a bog and or shower? 3. how small a parking space do you want to use? currently asking myself these and other questions for a trip to Aus. we love our T25 over here. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

We are not towing a race car, but we have a fairly long trek up to Anglesey. Also I suspect Miss Ridgway would appreciate an in-van shower rather than the circuit facilities.

So I suspect we may be hiring a more modern van.

Graham
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

can you hire one from closer to the track? takes a bit of the "road trip" out of it, but for me i'd rather be driving my car than my sisters motorhome, so the further i can swing the bias in my favor the better :lol:

while i love the old VW campers, if you're going for a weekend you might be better getting a more modern larger motorhome with shower, kitchen, toilet, etc.. there is a place somewhere just south of oxford that does the big american ones if you want to go all out, although might be tricky around some of the welsh lanes!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

That's an interesting idea if the pickup and drop back times can be made to work!

This looked like a good starter that had stuff in it, but wouldn't be too challenging to drive through Wales!

http://www.kvmotorhomehire.co.uk/berth2.html
GRaham
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Post by myatt1972 »

Also worth thinking about the facilities at the site ie, electric hook-up , toilet emptying and so on, could have an effect on the van you hire.
Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
MdR

Post by MdR »

james912 wrote:I have used this place before and they were very good if you fancy a retro bus or something a bit newer.

http://www.vanillasplits.com/html/home.html
I helped assemble some of these.
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

We hired a modern california from Mark @ Kamperhire for 3 weeks last summer, http://www.kamperhire.co.uk/index.html

It accommodated the four of us very nicely indeed for a 2,100 mile trip.
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card