Reconditioned, Shortend Chassis?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

356_outlaw
DDK addict

Post by 356_outlaw »

Horses for courses and all that. The speedsterclinic chassis is one way of doing it, but it isn't the be all and end all. Using shortened Vw floorpans is a perfectly good way of going about it. Just make sure you have it done on a jig and you have nothing to worry about.

By the way, jon lane was mentioned above, I believe he supplies a jig shortened chassis painted with new floorpans for around that auction price.
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

I agree with 356 outlaw. "Not the be all and end all" Each maker has pros and cons attached. Once my PC in up and running will post a few pictures of the Chesil sub-chassis to compare. Sure M&W are very similar to.

That one on EBay is a swing axle. Have you thought about if you want a swing axle or IRS ?? If you want to have a low looking stance then IRS would be better for suspension geometry.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Thanks for everyones input, having slept on it I've decided to nt bother with that particular chassis. Your right to say I'd better off getting a chassis thats already been Shortend. I'll try not to let my enthusiasm run away with me again. Cheers!
brasnell356
DDK Newbie

shortend chassic

Post by brasnell356 »

The Speedster Clinic shortened chassis are the best by far in my opinion.

They are made in a jig, so they are dead square, so your speedster will not crab down the road. The beetle floor pans are removed and Gary has fabricated his own floor pans, so you don't get cut and shut beetle pans, which looks a mess.

Gary's chassis have got a metal bulk head which makes the speedster more rigid and reduces body flex.

Gary was a god send from start to finish when i was building my speedster clinic speedster. He also helped to get my speedster registered as a speedster, so he really does offer the full package.

Gary can sometimes be hard to get hold off because phone reception is a bit bleak at his workshopImageImage[/img]
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Aymore pics of your car? Looks great, I can see you've gone the extra mile,.
DDK addict

Speedster Clinic

Post by 356 »

Speedster Clinic Chassis

These are just a few reason why i believe a speedster clinic chassis is better and most importantly safer and stronger there for making it better to drive .

1. The chassis is shorterned by 300mm to give correct wheel lenght
2. Metal Floors/ inner wing and bulk head are cnc laser cut and made from 2mm and are flat
3. All steel used has wall thickness of 3mm and has box section of 80 x 40 ,60 x 40 , 50 x 25, and all seams are fully seam welded
4. Seat belt points are welded and not just bolted into a beetle floor
5. Seat runner braces are welded in to floor
6.Heater channels are built into the chassis .
7 More seat movement to the rear more leg room if you are tall ,

And all the work takes place in a jig
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Not much of a pitch, you get that from chesil
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

mdmax72 wrote:Not much of a pitch, you get that from chesil
^ Knowing Gary, I don't think it was a "pitch", just pointing out the features.

If I was looking to build a speedster I would physically look at both in person. I have seen one of Gary's SPEEDSTER CLINIC chassis first hand and I have seen shortened floor pan versions first hand. My own opinion is that a SPEEDSTER CLINIC chassis is by far superior. It's not just me that thinks that either. Many well respected members of the speedster club in the UK have said the same thing, and they have chesils themselves.

Am not saying that the shortened floor pan version ones are rubbish and should not be used, after all, like has been said on here, they are tried and tested and work well enough. However, the Speedster Clinic is simply alot better - and i think for the money they are absolutely spot on.

Suppose you can extend this debate into standard suspension over Red-9 suspension too.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Little b@st@rd wrote:Aymore pics of your car? Looks great, I can see you've gone the extra mile,.
Good call... More pictures please Ant!
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hey Del everybody has an opinion, just putting my to penny's worth in the jar.

I do have some engineering background. Looking at the speedsterclinic sub-chassis and the chesil both have pro's and con's in both designs. They both do the job. Just don't agree with those who say that because the speedsterclinic has cnc flat plate floors over a beetle floor shortend really makes it any better. Both have the backbone of the chassis shortend which is no differance to having the floors shortened in my eyes. Done properly can be just as strong as the original uncut backbone.

Both utilise the subchassis to incorporate the heater channel.

Both are jigged and fabricated.

Both use the Vw suspension.

Both have adequate box section to the sills.

Both are shortend to centralise the wheels in the arches.

One of the differance's in design between the to are the front bulkhead section. Speedsterclinic use flat plate from the A post to bulkhead to A post. This design is better l feel as when utilising the beetle steering column, you need a stronger bulkhead in order for the collapsable column to collapse in a front impact. Chesil only use a steel bulkhead half the height as the Speedsterclinic. The top half is fibreglass as is the section from A post to bulkhead. Again debatable as the A post are strong enough the hinge the doors.

And it goes on and on 8) Intresting debate though.
Rich

DDK Member 0547