Reconditioned, Shortend Chassis?

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Reconditioned, Shortend Chassis?

Post by Little b@st@rd »

So, I'd like to get started on my chassis this summer and I'm trying to find somewhere that can supply a recon, shortened bare chassis. Considering either a Martin & Walker Speedster/Coupe or a Speedsterclinc Speedster kit but I can find no information as to wether these companys offer this service or not? Im assuming they both do? Anyone know about costs?

Chesil offer this service and although the prices are not clear to me http://www.chesil.biz/Chesil_Prices_K.htm I think it's £450 for a shorted IRS chassis? Or is that just the price of a supplied chassis PLUS shortening and recon on top??????

I guess it's not a good idea to get a chassis from a different place than I'm getting the body? Or is that not an issue?

One final stupid question, do they deliver? Or do I have to go and pick it up?

Any info, suggestions, advice appreciated.
Last edited by Little b@st@rd on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
adam356
DDK Fanatic

Post by adam356 »

You will find that the price you have quoted is for a second hand chassis which will be plus shortening, reconditioning ect so will soon mount up.

You will have to decide on which kit as chesil ect have the sub chassis bonded into the body whereas the speedster clinic chassis has the sub chassis welded to it making the chassis more rigid (in my opinion!!)

Im not sure if other manufacturers such as m&w, pilgrim ect's bodys are a universal fit and id doubt they would tell you if they did!!

Im sure most would deliver but as always at a cost!!

Speak to Gary at the speedster clinic he is a really nice guy and very knowledgable.
threefiftysix
DDK addict

Post by threefiftysix »

In my experience the guy you want to speak to is Jon Lane t. 07771765104 He used to do Chesil's chassis for them, amoung others and does M&W. He supplied me a chassis, shortened it and did IRS conversion. He was very competitive and has a delivery man too. He knows his onions when it comes to chassis shortening.

Nothing to do with me, just a satisfied customer.
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Ok, cheers guys, I'll look into those options. Thanks again.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

give Gary a call at this Speedster Clinic. PM me if you want his phone number

If you are not sure about him, ask anyone that knows him / has had one of his kits.

All his floors are made on a jog and will be arrow straight.

You will need to be patient when you try to phone as he is often under a car welding or sometimes the reception is poor where his unit is.

He goes as 356 on here, you could also PM him.

Hope that helps.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

to Little Bas tard... Did you ever get in touch with Gary @ The Speedster Clinic?

I went to see him the other day and he had a chassis, built up and ready to go.

You can actually go over and see it in the metal as there is one there to see. Looks bloody impressive, and I told him so too.
DDK addict

Speedster Clinic Chassis

Post by 356 »

The Chassis is now 80% finished all welds needs to dressed , and is a waiting shot blasting, zinc priming and top coating.

This is one of 5 chassis's which will be available soon for purchase
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Impessive looking stuff Gary, sadly real life intervenes and I've had to put everything on hold for now. It's all been noted for future reference though.
DDK addict

Post by 356 »

Little b@st@rd wrote:Impessive looking stuff Gary, sadly real life intervenes and I've had to put everything on hold for now. It's all been noted for future reference though.
Hi Little B@st@rd

As and when your in the market give me a call on 07866942518
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Will do.
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Ok, even though I said a couple of posts back I've had to postpone the chassis, I was surfing around on ebay as you do a came across a nice restored chassis, with and engine and gearbox, in my town! And for what seems to me a fair price.
Being the total noob that I am Id appreciate you guys having a look at the listing and seeing what you think? I think I could knock him down a bit just to get rid of it, engine and box can be repalced at a later date, so just an IRS conversion and shortening being the only major mods to be done. A pain in the ass to ship it out to be shortened etc but should still be cheaper overall? Right?
I Also realise going this route would rule out a speedsterclinic kit (sorry Gary) but I like the idea of still having the choice of either going with a speedster or coupe body. Anyway have a look please and tell me what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-1965-VW-BEET ... _861wt_922

Cheers guys.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Little b@st@rd wrote:Ok, even though I said a couple of posts back I've had to postpone the chassis, I was surfing around on ebay as you do a came across a nice restored chassis, with and engine and gearbox, in my town! And for what seems to me a fair price.
Being the total noob that I am Id appreciate you guys having a look at the listing and seeing what you think? I think I could knock him down a bit just to get rid of it, engine and box can be repalced at a later date, so just an IRS conversion and shortening being the only major mods to be done. A pain in the ass to ship it out to be shortened etc but should still be cheaper overall? Right?
I Also realise going this route would rule out a speedsterclinic kit (sorry Gary) but I like the idea of still having the choice of either going with a speedster or coupe body. Anyway have a look please and tell me what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1964-1965-VW-BEET ... _861wt_922

Cheers guys.
Personally, I think a Speedster Clinic chassis is a better base for a Speester rep. They are much stronger and purpose built.

Also, one of Gary's chassis will already be designed for/come with IRS suspension, and it will already be arrow straight as they are made on a jig.

A Speedster clinic chassis is not really that expensive when you look at what are getting, and what other costs you would be avoiding.

As for that one you have seen, looks ok but i'd want to knock him down a bit more seeing as it still needs things adding... and even then, i'd just use it to make a VW Beetle out of rather than getting it shortened and used as a 356. Just my opinion, i'm sure others' will vary.

I dont see a front beam on that one in the ad, and also, it's only a 1200 engine which you probably wouldnt want to keep, and are not that desirable to sell on either.
Little b@st@rd
DDK Fanatic

Post by Little b@st@rd »

Thanks for the response Del, I don't doubt that speedster clinic chassis are superb, however as long as it's professionally done on a jig (ie I won't be doing it) a shortened vw chassis is a tried and tested design for kit building, as is IRS conversion. Your right about the price though, I'd let the auction run and if no one bids I might make an offer? all opinions still welcome :)
356california
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356california »

Id still go for a speedster clinic one from gary. Gary obviously knows what hes doing and you can pick engine, gearbox, wont have any 'surface rust' and you can guarantee the body will fit properly.
/Users/steve/Desktop/random/250620101650.jpg
356california
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356california »

Id still go for a speedster clinic one from gary. Gary obviously knows what hes doing and you can pick engine, gearbox, wont have any 'surface rust' and you can guarantee the body will fit properly.
/Users/steve/Desktop/random/250620101650.jpg