Defender, Range Rover or Cayenne?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

I've got the new Defender XS with the cold pack so have heated seats and windscreen that frankly is genius in this weather. It is a fantastic piece of kit, hasn't let us down, goes anywhere and pulls anything.

It's not the comfiest or fastest family car in the world - but it depends what you like. I like it and I'm planning on keeping it for good too.

If you don't mind travelling lengthy distances at 70-75mph and don't do all your driving in a town, then this will be fine for you - but if you want something a little more refined and want to travel faster, I'd go for a Disco - friend of mine has one and it's a really lovely car. Hasn't let him down - yet!

Agree on the tyres thing. Defender great on the snow on standard Grabber tyres but a bit of a handful in the ice. Oh, and the turbo takes a bit of getting used to if you're having a bit of fun - it doesn't stop surging the moment you take your foot off the gas - which can make slides a bit more lively than expected....ask me how I know! :shock:
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

If going for a Defender there's really two sensible options, first being go for one of the new ones as they are very good and seem much more reliable than early/mid 2000s models, are more comfortable and more every day friendly than previous versions. Daily driver no problem.

Option two is to go old school Defender which means 300Tdi (or maybe 200Tdi) so pre ECU and all mechanical. They build overland trecking vehicles based on these for a reason. Very reliable, 250,000 miles out of an engine, simple and cheap as chips to repair, etc. But if you go this route then in standard form they are bl**dy horrible to drive every day. Underpowered by modern standards, gearing is too low, old fashioned heating, struggle to keep a decent speed on the motorway, etc. Mods required are overdrive, bigger intercooler, EGR removal, sports exhaust, tweak the diesel pump a teeny bit. With this and a decent set of road tires it's a perfectly capable if rather basic daily driver which is happy cruising on the motorway. Bl**dy tough offroad too (not on road tires though LOL). Oh and no ABS, no computers to help you out and you won't ever get over 30mpg (if you get that). Less than half the price of option one though.

Ian.
Last edited by IanMcLeod on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pauldvern »

I have an Audi Allroad quattro TDI as my daily drive, which dearly love. It happily climbs to Brighton hills in snow and I take to the alps every year and have never had to put the snow chains on it. It's an extremely comfortable and civilized car with plenty of carrying capacity. It's great for those who dislike the Chelsea tractor.

Paul

P.S. The Cayenne is just wrong. What were they thinking?
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

pauldvern wrote: The Cayenne is just wrong. What were they thinking?
We could make a lot of money selling those............................? :?

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

hot66 wrote:my favorite 4x4 overall are G-wagens ...
I like the idea of a G but looking on Pistonheads they appear rarer than a Veyron :shock:

I'd need a LWB for the hounds though. James? Was yours a SWB or LWB?
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

left4dead wrote: I like the idea of a G but looking on Pistonheads they appear rarer than a Veyron :shock:
And more useful - try http://www.ballooner.co.uk/used-cars/me ... 7373666993

or http://www.g-classcentre.co.uk/

as 2 ends of the 2nd hand spectrum.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I had a W463 SWB ... they are large inside than a defender. The previous model the W460 is a lot more work horse.

I bought at the cheapest end of the scale for a W463 ( £6500 ish) so mine wasn't perfect. They are really well built though. Keep a look out for leaking wiper spindles ( damp carpets ) as this is a real PITA to sort.....also make sure all the diff locks work .. apart from that it's just the usual to check.

300 diesels are slow ( it's a very heavy car ) ... I had the 3.0 straight 6 petrol which is a nice motor ... with a manual box I got around 18mpg.

They hold their money well, but do take a long time to sell ( mine sold quickly though as it was cheap )

Some pics to get an idea of inside space

Last edited by hot66 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Tony wrote:
left4dead wrote: I like the idea of a G but looking on Pistonheads they appear rarer than a Veyron :shock:
And more useful - try http://www.ballooner.co.uk/used-cars/me ... 7373666993

or http://www.g-classcentre.co.uk/

as 2 ends of the 2nd hand spectrum.

g-class centre .... my experience of them was over priced poor condition vehicles
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

I have had a freelander commercial for the last 3 years.
Only one problem with the intermitent wipers in all this time.
We have 2 foot of snow at the moment and a long steep drive, it just gets through anything, not cleared any snow but taken lots of neighbours to work.
I really need to change a couple of tires but it doesnt stop it going just makes stopping more of an experience. :lol:
I agree that most farmers go for double cab pick ups but a vet friend had a Nissan Navara and had no end of trouble, he went for Toyota Hilux when replacing it.
I would agree get some good tyres and it will make the world of difference.
Stuart.
1971 911E
1990 986S
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

hot66 wrote:I had a W463 SWB ...
I love that G James. Looks like a right ol' Tonka toy externally but with a lush executive interior. Best of both worlds I reckon.

Thanks for the photos. 8)
Steve

Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

Defender all the way… not without their faults but as a daily driver in the country can't fault it. I have the last of the 300tdi's and it done 110k and still feels great.

Only ever breaks down when I wash it (fact) only happened 5 times now but I have stopped washing it so that is sorted.

Lost count of the amount of people I have pulled out of muddy ditches which acrues lots of brownie points around here, shall be cashing them in on Christmas Eve in the pub.

I think there is a new Defender due in 4 years'ish, should be interesting to see.

My mate has the new van powered 6 speeder and he is smitten also.

Best 4X4 by far…

(one of the best copy lines ever also)
Gavin Joule
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

hot66 wrote: g-class centre .... my experience of them was over priced poor condition vehicles
Absolute and utter ninnies. As with the other G-seller, too many wealthy 'alternative' clients to peddle their over-priced Gs at. Buy privately with full history, they do turn up fairly regularly. Importing from the US is a good route to a spec'd G500 and cheap too this past year :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Charlotte couldn't get the Range Rover out of her head so we bought a sub 40k '03 4.4 petrol Vogue in August this year to replace an '07 VW Touareg V6 TDI. It's now on LPG and apart from a cam position sender (known BMW fault) and alternator (see cam position sender) it has been kind to us thus far... And we bought well so haven't got silly money in it.

At the same time we bought ours, Charlotte's sister bought a '53 TD6 version from a dealer, once again low mileage and they've had it in the garage almost as much as on their drive.

We all agree that to drive there is something about them that is really special despiste the reliability, creaks and groans, build quality etc, etc. and for someone who was resolutely against the idea, I absolutley love the big Range Rover and am a convert.

Of course when our all encompassing warranty runs out I might take a more cautious view of the running costs, but I'm not sure what you could replace one with and get the same feel good factor...

They really grow on you!
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

hamishf
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by hamishf »

I've got a '07 RR Sport TDV8, having never had anything other than a 911 as a family car, and I rate it. Goes up hill down dale and through snow, charges along motorways at 80-90mph (in France of course), out accelarates hot hatches, can be chucked around a corner like no car of its weight should be able to, and is silver so looks a bit less footballer like than all the black ones. And every option under the sun, which makes it pretty comfortable driving on days like these. I'm converted, and never ever thought I would be. No problems at all to report thus far.
Hamish Franklin
r-gruppe 613
73E hotrod (2.7MFI); 74 Carrera; 69 280 SL; 924 Carrera GT
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

cubist wrote:
hot66 wrote: g-class centre .... my experience of them was over priced poor condition vehicles
Absolute and utter ninnies. As with the other G-seller, too many wealthy 'alternative' clients to peddle their over-priced Gs at. Buy privately with full history, they do turn up fairly regularly. Importing from the US is a good route to a spec'd G500 and cheap too this past year :wink:
G350:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2335023.htm

£125,000 !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Steve