Holiday / route advice - France

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

hot66

Holiday / route advice - France

Post by hot66 »

I know we have some well travelled DDK'ers ;) so thought I'd try & use your collective wisdom :)

Taking the family down to the Dordogne ( Domme area) . According to google maps it's just over an 8 hour drive from Calais, but this takes you around the Paris ring road :roll:

Are there any better routes that don't add too much time to the journey ? ( "are we there yet ?" from the 5 yr old & 8 yr old sat in the back :roll: )

Taking a couple of days to do the return journey, hopefully via the Loire / Saumur area and then a night up near Rouen. Any hotels worth considering on this route?

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Holiday / route advice - France

Post by Gary71 »

hot66 wrote: a night up near Rouen. Any hotels worth considering on this route?
There is a Ibis with a underground carpark in the middle of Rouen ;)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

James
May I recommend a little book to you?

It's called France, Coast to Cote by Michael and Rita Little
It takes you through 19 routes from north to south noting a few things to see on the way.
If you can't find a copy willing to send you mine (probably been updated several times since).
In any event you might take a little time off your route to visit Oradour-sur-Glane just north west of Limoges. Very moving.

Enjoy your trip!

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rvzz »

How's that for a coincidence , just got this book off eBay (paid about 3 quid I think) in anticipation of a similar trip . Haven't read it yet though .
Cheers....Russ
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

210bhp wrote:Oradour-sur-Glane just north west of Limoges. Very moving.
Regards
Mike
isnt it just!
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

964RS

Post by 964RS »

We stayed overnight in Orleans on the way down and liked the place a LOT.

Really nice town on the river.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

964RS

Post by 964RS »

Mike Usiskin wrote:
Regards
Mike
isnt it just!
Lots of curry houses?? :drunken:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

964RS wrote:
Mike Usiskin wrote:
Regards
Mike
isnt it just!
Lots of curry houses?? :drunken:
as it happens I always found a decent curry really hard to find in france!
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

decapman
DDK slapper chatter

Post by decapman »

Do you have to go from Calais? quite frankly apart from the coast road to Boulogne everything up to 2 hours outside Calais is dead boring.
I would look at Newhaven Dieppe route, its a bit longer but worth it.Or even further on, LeHavre or Caen.
Then go onto Via Michelin website.
You can go through Rouen and Evreux by passing Paris.
At greater magnification on the map the scenic routes are edged in green.

Work out a route which joins these green parts together as best you can and you will be off the beaten track and travel through some stunning countryside.
If you need to make up time you can usually divert back onto an auto route.
Steve (left for dead) and I have traversed France and Europe many times using this method.
And yes Oradour is worth a significant detour
Marcus
1967 RHD 911S
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750 Competition Corsa
1956 356a "die Ratte"
1972 Mercedes 280S
2014 BMW X3 2.0SE
1974 914 2.0
992 C2S
1955 Continental Cabriolet
1968 Citroen DS21
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

I took my 4 year old down to Cornwall in the summer and was dreading 5.5 hours of "are we there yet??"

iTunes download of a couple of kids books - in this case "Coot Club" - and job done. He said next to nothing for the whole journey and was wrapped up in the story. Try a Charlie and the Chocolate factory or somesuch

Not as much fun for me as having my music on but a lot more fun than "are we there yet?"

As for routes, not a scooby.
burgundyben
DDK Fanatic

Re: Holiday / route advice - France

Post by burgundyben »

I know you said Calais but...

I would say to look carefully at changing route, come down the M1 to Northampton, take the A43 past silverstone to the M40, along one junction and pick up the A34 to Winchester, M3 then M27 to Portsmouth. Northampton to Portsmouth is 2 hours that route. Ferry to Le Havre (excellent Patissiere next to the round white concrete cinema in the town, turn left off ferry, almond croissant to die for, great breakfast).

French route Le Havre, Pont L'Eveque, Liseux, A28 to Le Mans, round Le Mans, Tours, Loches, Buzancais, Chateaurault, motorway with no tolls all the way to Souillac, then you're nearly there. Its a good route, I used it this year and last.

If you want to stop off half way, just a few miles south of Blois is Chitenay, Auberge Du Centre is very very lovely ( http://www.auberge-du-centre.com/fr/sommaire_fr.html ) with excellent restaurant and eating in the garden with jazz, good singer, pianist, marvellous food, try Chevernet local red. Splendid!

Chartres also worth a lunch stop on the way, stained glass in the cathedral is worth seeing, even for a confirmed atheist like me (did you see what I did there?)

If you want to stop near Le Havre then Honfleur is lovely. Hotel Dauphin very nice, parking not great though. http://www.hoteldudauphin.com/ Moules and frites on the quay.

From Doome, canoeing on the river is good fun, Gauffre de Padirac cave is worth seeing as is Rocamadour, make the climb to the very top.

Nip down to Cahors, nice market to trap tourists but worth looking at Pont Valentre, interesting history, see if you can spot the carved stone devil climbing up. Perhaps not too interesting for kids.
It was like that when I got here.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

orleans is a great overnight stop; i used to stay there when heading south as i can hit there from leicester at a reasonable time if i leave by 3pm

the paris ring-road isn't too big of a deal, provided you hit it at the right time; if you're going to get there at 8am or 5pm then it will slow you down enough to make the alternative routes attractive, but if you're going through there at 8pm or something then its pretty quick.. i usually get to paris around 11pm or so and the ring road is deserted which makes it an awesome race-track of a road 8)

HTH

b :)

ps.. for the return run, in my experience you can have a light lunch in monaco on the beach next to the grimaldi forum, and still make the last tunnel crossing :lol:
hot66

Post by hot66 »

thanks for all the advice :)

Deffo going via Calais ... premier inn & crossing already booked well in advance !
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
mycar

Post by mycar »

I second Burgundyben on the Le Mans route, we did that route in reverse on our way back up from the Lot, though we stayed at Le Touquet the night before we caught the ferry. The Ibis is right on the beach.

Definately do the canoeing and the caves, though I`d ditch Cahors in favour of Sarlat. There`s a market on Saturdays and this time of year it`s marvelous, few tourists and the smell of fresh walnuts and mushrooms is something you you don`t ever get in this country.

Merlot Mike.
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Ben's route is perfect, but I would also go via the Chunnel as the kids love it.

Little brother has some friends with a vineyard on the edge of the Dordogne and we used the route south of Le Mans to get there last time. Brilliant.