Musically speaking....

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Great thread, I can see so many here have such a liking for music! I have often seen my 3 sons choices and thought how much wider it was than mine. It does seem to me, those born in the late 60's and 70's have a wider band of interest than those like me born in the early 40's!

I have to admit, some of the bands listed I have never heard of at all shows maybe I have kept my ears in the sand! Still I can now see you that many of you are on the same wavelength as my boys.

I won't bore you with my top ten, but I do like Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, The Hollies, Matt Munroe, Willie Nelson, Elvis and few Beatle songs and one Cliff Richard :oops:

I forgot Frank Sinatra that happens as you get older :wink:

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Greg
Married to the DDK

Post by Greg »

Thanks P

I look forward to the journey.

I'll report back in due course.

Cheers
Greg
Greg Lund
67 911S Targa,soft rear window (Brunhilde)
91 C2 Coupe (Clementine)
01 Audi A4 2.4 Quattro
2001 Subaru Legacy twin turbo wagon (just sold)
Hokkaido Japan
and an '89 SAAB Aero Turbo in Oz (for trips home)
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

roy mawbey wrote: I forgot Frank Sinatra that happens as you get older :wink:
Roy
:) Funny you should say that Roy, I keep checking myself for Sinatra and it might just be starting. My Father, you see has dozens and dozens of Sinatra albums, (he started young) So complete is his collection, that he needed just one. He`d spent years searching charity shops and record shops and all but given up but then with the advent of the internet, finding it was easy (he doesn`t do the internet and was duly amazed.) Made a nice 70th birthday present.

I don`t ever recall him offering to lend me any but prehaps that time will come.

Mike.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Yes Mike the internet does makes finding things so much easier and faster. Actually no internet no DDK etc etc. I can remember how limited the choice of 356 spares were in the 70's. You really had to join clubs or scour the exchange and mart for items then.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

left4dead wrote:Ry rocks!!! Well, he use to but now he mostly paints and writes (bad?) novels :roll:

Did you get to see him play, Adam?

Hi Steve - yes I did! Once at the Apollo in Victoria, and again at the Southampton Guildhall.

At the Apollo he was absolutely amazing, a very stripped-back performance - just him and a few others - incl Neil Casal. At Southampton it was a Cardinals gig - still very good - a 2 hour set, but he was getting pretty p!$#ed off at the shouts from the crowd asking for Blue Sky Blues and World War 24!

Favourite album is probably Heartbreaker, but I like them all... :)

How about you?

Ps. I understand he is working on some new material (music, fortunately!) at the moment...
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

mullerice wrote:
left4dead wrote:Ry rocks!!! Well, he use to but now he mostly paints and writes (bad?) novels :roll:

Did you get to see him play, Adam?

Hi Steve - yes I did! Once at the Apollo in Victoria, and again at the Southampton Guildhall.

At the Apollo he was absolutely amazing, a very stripped-back performance - just him and a few others - incl Neil Casal. At Southampton it was a Cardinals gig - still very good - a 2 hour set, but he was getting pretty p!$#ed off at the shouts from the crowd asking for Blue Sky Blues and World War 24!

Favourite album is probably Heartbreaker, but I like them all... :)

How about you?

Ps. I understand he is working on some new material (music, fortunately!) at the moment...
Hi Adam,

Yup, I was at the Victoria gig sitting in the stalls - you can hear me 'whooping' in the bootleg during 'The Hardest Part' :wink: :lol:

First Ryan gig for me though was at the Astoria when he was over promoting 'Gold'. GREAT gig - he supported himself, solo. Very funny indeed - he kept refering to the main act (him) as 'that c*cksucker Adams'. Everyone there walked away from the place blown away. All the girls walked away in love. I know a few that were there who are yet to recover! I was inspired enough to pick up the guitar for the first time in years and, after throwing away the pick, learnt to finger pick 'Ryan style' and sat down and learnt the entire album before moving on to 'Heartbreaker'.

Went to all but one of the consequent gigs and that was due to the drummer & bass player keeping me up all night in their hotel room drinking neat vodka nicked from the tour bus. I got home at 09:30 in the morning and spent the rest of the weekend in bed recovering whilst they had to play in front of several thousand at the Shepherds Bush Empire and a bl**dy great performance they managed, by all accounts.

Caught him play in NYC, too. My only regret is not knowing him when he played at the Borderline in his Whiskeytown days. I did see him there play a secret gig with Neal Casal sometime later though.

Not the most easy guy to approach I have to say. Even when he's 'off duty' he can't stop creating. Sat next to him in the bar at the Kensington Hilton and he just didn't stop doodling (exquisite drawings of fellow band members and anyone else who happened to be sitting around). Every fibre of him seems to need to create, constantly...
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

I'll have to listen to the bootleg again! That really was a great gig!

Wow, those stories are pretty rock n roll - very cool! 8). Stories of being in, and seeing bands, make me want to pick up my guitars again (something I don't do enough of these days!!).
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)