what sound deadening & wing sealer to use??

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

what sound deadening & wing sealer to use??

Post by bazz55 »

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great. I am currently finishing restoration of a 69 911 and would like to know what sound deadening you guys use for the floor of the car?? Where is the best place to buy??

Also what sealer is best for the front wings when mounting them back on??

cheers all the best bazz 8)
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

any ideas?? cheers chaps
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

no idea about OEM sound deadening, but aftermarket dynamat is the most popular, but quite pricey. There is another product on the market called "brown bread" which is available from most car audio places; does 99% as good job as dynamat but at 2/3 price..

assuming you want to keep the weight of the car standard-ish you will need to do some research into where to place it, but middle of pannels i would imagine works best (I've only ever covered whole areas with the stuff in cars where weight didn't really matter).

Also if you're forming around pressed shapes in the floor, firewall, etc., get yourself a small roller; you want a solid wheel hand roller with a wheel about 3-4" diameter and about 2-3" wide.. a good source for these is a composites company as they use them for pushing material into moulds.. makes shaping the sound deadening much easier and gives you a good contact across the entire area of the sheet which is what you want
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

cheers for that smallspeed :), the car came with dynamat on the doors which seemed pretty good. I have used a similar sound deadening in my oval to dynamat it just didnt have the shiney surface. Good call on the roller will have a butchers on the net.

anyone any idea of the sealer for the wings??

cheers bazz
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

How much is dynamat these days. I guess postage wont be cheap as its quite heavy.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

i would try and find the stuff locally as its heavy for posting, unless you can get a good deal.. usually you will find a decent car audio place in each major town/city these days

dynamat is about £25 a roll at the moment i think, but you might get it for 20 on the internet. brownbread is about 10-15, plus i have a feeling its a bit lighter than dynamat..
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Bazz

I have a roller for this job if you need to borrow it just let me know.

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
pete917
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pete917 »

should look nice and neat like this:

MJ_911
DDK Newbie

Post by MJ_911 »

This makes for good reading:-

http://web.archive.org/web/200807020907 ... wdown.com/

a product called 'secondskin' comes out better in tests than Dynamat.