1987 3.2 Carrera Backdate project - Sladeys hotrod

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

I'd not seen them, I was looking at some cobra seats TBH but those do look nice. Do you think you'll fit in them??? :lol:
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Cheeky bugger! Actually I would want to sit in them before buying - important to know they're right
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sladey

Post by sladey »

Further update

Ladt week-end - with help from Ian and his electronic know-how I finally fitted my 911T stylee rear light clusters

Pretty pleased with the look
Barry

Post by Barry »

And a nice tidy work area as well :shock: :lol: .

Looks good, really good 8) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

O'Yeah...Liking the look of that!! 8)

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

A car I love just keeps getting better 8)

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
hot66

Post by hot66 »

car is looking great Mark 8) That 'new' back box is much better :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Barry wrote:And a nice tidy work area as well :shock: :lol: .

Looks good, really good 8) .
that's not mess Barry - it's a creative workspace.

In my defence I'd literally just finished the lights (sheesh! Tough audience :lol:

thanks for all the comments guys :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Looks great Mark, love the lights really suits the car!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
tim78
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tim78 »

Derek wrote:A car I love just keeps getting better 8)

Derek
What he said.

They look really great
1968 912
1985 911 3.2
911s68
DDK Fanatic

Post by 911s68 »

Hi guy's i live in mansfield and see this car flying around the area,it look's the daddy on the road and sounds great.

Just wont to say you've done a great job.

Steve
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Looks very cool Mark!!! 8) 8)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for the nice comments
sladey

Post by sladey »

Only me!

I've been accused of not being on the forum much recently - thinking it through it's ebcause most of the problems I've had ove the last year have been mechanical and therefore much of my posting has been on impact bumpers as a lot of the problems related to the engine management system.

Just to recap:-

Last July I started with a bad mechanical noise on the way back from Goodwood FOS. This turned out to be a rocker lobe finally going through the hard outer casing and wearing itself away (and the relating cam lobe). This was linked to shoddy work done on the engine previously (which I am currently pursuing....) but meant I had to pay for that side to be stripped down and the damaged parts replace. I know the only way to properly deal with this is a full stripdown and rebuild but that just wasn't possible, so I've taken the risk and flushed the engine through before rebuilding that side. I've since done 4 oil changes to help flush through any crap.

Last September I started to have running problems with the car. Revving on it's own accord, idling at 1200 RPM, losing power mid and top range. Overall a nightmare. In the hunt to track this down I had the ECU rebuilt (no change), replaced the idle stabilizing valve (no change), replaced the idle microswitch ( no change), had the injectors sent off for testing, cleaning, retesting (no change), and eventually stripped down the whole of the induction system, cleaned and replaced everything (new gaskets etc) to end up with ....... no change. Nightmare!

I booked it in to Wayne Schofield for a custom chip on the basis that he really knows his stuff and he will sort any problems out before doing a remap. He sussed the problem within 10 minutes of me arriving - faulty cylinder head temp sensor. replaced taht and it ticked over great. he remapped it and it runs brilliantly now.

These running problems lasted from last September to the end of March when it visited Waynes. As I drive it every day this was a real nightmare and probably the worst time I've had with the car since I bought it. Mohammed Ali once said it's not the mountain that kills you, it's the stone in your shoe.

Anyway I then got a few weeks of fine driving. After a while though it started to have difficulty starting. The starter motor whirrs but it won't catch. This got worse and worse. I had to put it in 4th and rock it back and then it would start. Initially I suspected the starter motor so the weekend before last I replaced it with a cambridge hi-torque jobby.

It started great that day, but the next day the problem started to return, and rapidly got worse. So I came to the conslusion that the starter ring gear had become chewed up. I decided I was going to drop the engine to make sure - the first tiem I've ever done this. I was very nervous and excited.

This brings you up to date as of last Friday....
sladey

Post by sladey »

Got round to this job at the week-end

OK let's start with the Jack Olsen self-portrait to prove I was appropriately attired

Nige had given me some tips on how to drop the engine, but obviously I thought I could do better - inspiration came to me in the night and this was the result.

Once it was all up there the realisation dawned that the car was too high for the jock to touch the engine. So it was either let the engine freefall for 6 inches and hope the jack catches it, or remove all that gubbins and go to plan B (Nige's plan)

Nige's plan worked really well - once it's jacked up on the jack, support with axle stands. Lower the engine. Then use a second jack on the floorpan just forward of the transmission - this is to 'super-lift' the car. Because you're nearer the fulcrum it doesn't take so much jackling to get it really high, and because you're no longer supporting the engine and gearbox it's pretty easy to lift. Once it's 'super-high' I extended the axle stands to hold it nice and steady. Thanks for the guidance Nige - went really well.

I followed this article (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... clutch.htm) combined with the bentley manual. I maybe missed it but I don't think it mentions the electrical plug at the rear (i.e. towards front of car) of the engine compartment. Simple to unplug it.

We actually had a bit of a heart-stopper part way through. As the engine was coming down it started to lean over to one side. I soon realised it was due to an oil pipe still done up. I also realised this was because I'd backdated the oil pipes when I converted to 993 H/e's - so it would not be mentioned in the article I was following. So now I had to go under the car with the engine and gearbox balancing on a jack and undo a potentially stuck oil pipe. I have a special tool for this but I lent it out and forgot to get it back in time. For safety I put an extra axle stand under the engine.

At this point I was getting a bit tense. My brother went to make me a cup of tea. Happily though, this particular pipe had only been on for about 18 months so it came off quite easily, and we carried on with the lowering.

Here we've got the engine part way out. I'd chosen to jack it up on the engine - at the time of placing the jack there was still an oil pipe at what I though would be the balancing point - so as it all came down the gearbox dropped first. I wanted to put something under that end but we've thrown our skateboard away. So I butchered a sack truck and took the axle and wheels out. A Skateboard would have been better as the tyres caught on the side of the gearbox when we turned a corner but it was good enough

A few more tugs and this is what you end up with:-

I split the engine from the gearbox. I started to suspect my diagnosis of worn teeth was correct when I removed the starter motor - a lot of silver and bits of metal

Once the gearbox was off the diagnosis was confirmed

This was good to know.

I'm now looking at what items need replacing (the clutch fork needle bearings are shot but there's a potentially complicated question about whether a factory approved mod has been carried out or not so I've posted those questions over on impact bumpers)

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Mark