Okrasa Special

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

So, after much arm twisting Barry has agreed to build the bodywork for the Special! To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. The plan is to conclude on the renditions/drawings and agree a design, then Barry will build a wire buck on the chassis of the car to create and confirm the shape and solve the inevitable issues that will result in trying to translate a photoshop image and a mock up in GRP and polystyrene with reality. This will also be used to verify the aluminium panelling as it's presented up to the body. Stage 3 is to then build the actual bodywork in a reasonably heavy gauge aluminium. Hooray!
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Excellent. The right man for the job:) You best get the rollers on the English wheel polished up ready!
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Good luck to Steve and Barry. This is a fantastic project 8) .

I'm really looking forward to reading about the progress.

Derek
1970 911 3.6T
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

That's great news Steve. I hope we see plenty of photos of the progress. Best of luck Barry, what a great project to get your teeth in to.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
hot66

Post by hot66 »

wonderful 8) I think Barry's going to enjoy this one 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Barry

Post by Barry »

hot66 wrote: I think Barry's going to enjoy this one 8)
:P Just a bit.

I'm very much looking forward to it, and was very taken with the car right from when Steve first mentioned it (before he bought it). I saw it a little while ago, and it's even better in the flesh.

For quite a while now I've wanted to build a complete body, and had been looking for a project to justify the excercise. I also quite miss my saturdays at Rod Yates coachbuilding shop (although I'd be very welcome back there I'm sure, and Rod will be on hand if the need should arise), as they made a change from the week-time work. I've done some work for Steve in the past, and we are local to each other, as is the car.

So, all in all, perhaps it was all meant to be :) . There's obviously plenty of research and initial design work to go through before we start to mock very much up, but we are both agreed that much of the enjoyment of this project should come from this journey, rather than a frantic rush to see it on the road.

One thing as a result of this: I'll now be on the lookout for a very good quality English Wheel. My existing one will be fine for the tighter, less critical areas, but for the larger more subtly curved areas, an upgrade will be required 8) . No hurry at all, but it's something that I've been promising myself for a couple of years now, and this is the excuse I've been waiting for :) .

Anyway, thanks to Steve for the opportunity, and thanks for the words of encouragement everyone :salute: .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

steve wright wrote:So, after much arm twisting Barry has agreed to build the bodywork for the Special!
That must have been a lot of arm twisting. :)

An excellent result though. Barry can create something wonderful there. I thought some of the Photoshop renderings were very promising. Really exciting.
Well done Steve, Mr Carter can do it if anyone can.

Just remember three things Barry:
Bill every hour.
Bill every hour.
And bill every hour. :wink: :lol:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Barry wrote:I'll now be on the lookout for a very good quality English Wheel.
There are a couple in the back of Mulliner I noticed the other day and casually mentioned if we employed anyone that still knows how to use them... :wink:

They do get used, thankfully for it is a dying art, so my underhand pitch to get them in my garage counted for nothing!
sladey

Post by sladey »

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Oh yes, this will be good.

I've got some beer in and a few bags of nuts, ready to watch some action. Wouldn't this be good on Discovery as a regular slot?

Could also make a great CD in the end for Xmas. :drunken:
Barry

Post by Barry »

911hillclimber wrote: Could also make a great CD in the end for Xmas 2015. :drunken:
:wink:
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Barry

Post by Barry »

Ferry Man wrote:
steve wright wrote:So, after much arm twisting Barry has agreed to build the bodywork for the Special!
That must have been a lot of arm twisting. :)
Yes, I now look like Mr Tickle ....

Thanks for the business lesson :oops: . That's something I've never been very good at :roll: . I'll try to do better, I promise :) .
Barry

Post by Barry »

Gary, I was chatting to Rod earlier today, and he's been looking out for one of the huge Edwards wheels for some years now (about 3/4 ton + I gather). If I could find him one of those, it would make one of his current pair available.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the one that would then become available, but I love it: quite a bit of feel, nice and forgiving, whilst still giving an excellent quality shape and finish. Just like any tool, the better the quality, the easier it makes the job.

Out of interest, I understand that the modern ones you see in Frosts (£5K + ) are very hard indeed, and rather un-friendly to use. A nice wheel has to have just the right amount of 'give' to it. Despite it being a huge chunk of cast iron, they actually flex a lot, in fact they can't work without it.

My little home-made job has done me well upto now, but it's never really had to do big, soft panels, and I suspect that it simply wouldn't be accurate enough for Steve's job, although it's been perfect for my needs upto now.
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

I'm looking forward to following this!
I still remember 'helping' a craftsman make an ally bonnet for a vintage car on a big old wheel back in my school days. (My 'helping' consisted of just supporting the other end).
I was fascinated to see a flat sheet develop into a beautiful compound curve
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
Mike

Post by Mike »

Well done Barry, I knew leaving you that little project the other day would bring you round to working with aluminum! :lol:
This can only add to your already impressive skills.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2