are there lots of RHD conversions in GB ??

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

team914
DDK Newbie

RHD

Post by team914 »

Maurice Povey's car is also RHD.
I am currently converting to RHD using photos of Ian McMath's Crayford when he was restoring that car many years ago.Its a huge amount of work,and I work very slowly!! The process is helped by the centre fed steering rack,and the removable dash panel.You also have to modify the fuel tank to provide proper space in the passenger foot well.I have used a RHD 911 pedal box.Another issue that arises is the amount of offset between the seat and the pedal box. Some conversions were done without bulkhead/tank mods and this leaves very poor legroom for the driver in RHD.Its also interesting to note that one of the early A4 size brochures for the 914 and 914/6 had small print on the back page that stated "Right hand drive vehicles not available in this model year".I will post some pictures of the surgery involved,prepare to be shocked!
1973 914/4 2L RHD
1972 914/4 RHD,GT lookalike,2.7L six on Jenveys plus DTA.
zoomiewoz
DDK above all

Post by zoomiewoz »

Wow this thread has been dead for some time. I seem to remember Autofarm built one as well. The person that told me about it said that thay built up a compleate new bulkhead for the car. Some were i have a photo of o RHD 916 replica that i took at silverstone in the early 80s and beleve it to be the AutoFarm car at the 1000K event. It was in gun metal gray metalic and parked in the paddock i think with the cannon sponserd Porsche team. the reg no was MIA 914 and the wipers parked on the opposit side of the screen than normal. Can any one throw any light on the subject ??????? Woz :lol:
rookie
DDK Fanatic

Post by rookie »

I keep an eye out for cars for sale over here. Any that do come up have all been converted to RHD on import. It concerns me that many a time the ad says "original right hand drive". You'd think owning such a rare car here, they'd at least know the history of it.
Luke.

1975 914. Currently in Kenilworth, being wooed by Melbourne.

http://www.fuel-press.com
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

And why would you need to convert to RHD in the first place?

Never quite understood the need myself. I prefer to keep it as LHD as original.
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
PhilD
DDK Fanatic

Post by PhilD »

I've got one too, it's a 73 2.0 litre original UK car. It was already converted when I bought it but been unable to work out if one of the Crayford cars or not! Don't think it is mind as the workmanship is not really up to standard. I know that's it's been RHD for at least the last 15 years.

One thing to note, whilst the steering column is nearly dead centre unless you extend the column between the universals - a quick bit cut and shut with a suitably turned sleeve, you'll find the steering wheel will either be set off to the left or will be central but twisted to the near side - see even the easy bits are difficult?

Also if you want to fit both the radio and glovebox you have some serious rebuilding of the bulkhead to get the radio in!

Agree with the pedal position too, but OK unless your over 5' 9"ish.

Problem when driving is that the box feels all wrong as the weight bias and angle/movement of the gear stick - not that they were perfect on LHD!

The one advantage though is being able to overtake on windy country lanes - alternative of course is to fit 3.0 LITRE 6 - probably cost about the same but definitely more enjoyable?
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Crispin Manners has a 914/6 that was converted to RHD by Autofarm in the late 70's. I first saw it in their old premises in Amersham in 78 or 79 when we had our 914. It had a 2.7 engine then, and was later raced by Trevor Messett among others.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
tuff914
DDK Newbie

RHD Owner Australia

Post by tuff914 »

Hi Gustl,
Not sure but I may own the RHD yellow 914/4 in Australia you
mentioned.
My car was imported from the states and converted to RHD using porsche
components. (RHD 911, pedal box, front suspension etc etc.)
It drives as well as any LHD car I've driven, turning circle is the same etc.
Cars over 30 can be full registered here LHD, but in a RHD country it
makes overtaking etc "interesting". There are quite a few 914's converted to RHD here, I would guess at least 20-->30.

Cheers
John
tuff914
DDK Newbie

RHD Owner Australia

Post by tuff914 »

Hi Gustl,
Not sure but I may own the RHD yellow 914/4 in Australia you
mentioned.
My car was imported from the states and converted to RHD using porsche
components. (RHD 911, pedal box, front suspension etc etc.)
It drives as well as any LHD car I've driven, turning circle is the same etc.
Cars over 30 can be full registered here LHD, but in a RHD country it
makes overtaking etc "interesting". There are quite a few 914's converted to RHD here, I would guess at least 20-->30.

Cheers
John
zoomiewoz
DDK above all

Post by zoomiewoz »

jwhillracer wrote:Crispin Manners has a 914/6 that was converted to RHD by Autofarm in the late 70's. I first saw it in their old premises in Amersham in 78 or 79 when we had our 914. It had a 2.7 engine then, and was later raced by Trevor Messett among others.

JW
HI can you remember if the roof was welded in ? also have found the photo of the car and will try and post it on here but dont hold your breath i aint computer savvy Woz
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

zoomiewoz wrote:
jwhillracer wrote:Crispin Manners has a 914/6 that was converted to RHD by Autofarm in the late 70's. I first saw it in their old premises in Amersham in 78 or 79 when we had our 914. It had a 2.7 engine then, and was later raced by Trevor Messett among others.

JW
HI can you remember if the roof was welded in ? also have found the photo of the car and will try and post it on here but dont hold your breath i aint computer savvy Woz
Doesn't look as though it was..................

Castle Combe 1981

Cheers! :drunken:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
zoomiewoz
DDK above all

Post by zoomiewoz »

HI JW thanks i must be on another planet :alien: just looked at the photos i have and the roof is not fitted in the shots at all so it looks like the same car the reg no looks the same MIA 914. At a guss i took the photos in 1984 woz
moriarty
DDK slapper chatter

RHD 914/6

Post by moriarty »

Hi Gustl
I have a RHD 914/6 which I converted to RHD 13yrs ago when I bought the car as a complete restoration project, I had previously owned a 1.7 LHD car which I felt was under powered and a distinct disadvantage being sat on the "wrong side" when trying to overtake! having nearly had the side taken out by the "hot hatch" drivers sitting on your bumper and then deciding to overtake at the same time!! Very frustrating. However, there is a lot of work involved as others have said but no regrets in my case and is a joy to drive. I've had none of the problems as far as the steering wheel position/pedals are concerned. I used a 911 rhd pedal box which does mean they are offset a bit to the left - as they are in a 911; as for the gear lever, you need to unglue the stick and alter the angle of the bend to incline it towards the driver and then reset the splines. I also had my gearbox converted to a side shifter. All in all its as good if not better than a LHD set up. I've fitted a 2.4L K-jet engine which is very economical and produces about 150 bhp with plenty of low-down torque, which makes it an ideal engine for touring - which is what I mainly use it for.
Maurice (moriarty)
914-6 2.4T conversion + (RHD)
Audi A3 Sport Saloon
Renault Megane Touring 1.9dci
Gustl
Married to the DDK

Post by Gustl »

looks like great work - my compliments !!
Wolfgang