Tensioners tensioners tensioners

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

dogbower
DDK forever

Tensioners tensioners tensioners

Post by dogbower »

Hi
To time in with the nice weather I have discovered that I have a failed chain tensioner :(
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20262
Thanks for your help in identifying this.
I dont want to start the never ending discusssion on what type is right but rather confirm what my options are as I am getting a bit confused :?
I think I have 4 options
1 Solid tensioners - no thanks
2 Refurb my old ones - but cant seem to find any kits for this
3 early 930 tensioners - can collars be fitted to these?
4 later pressure fed 930

As far as money goes if fitting the early 930 might as well go the whole hog and do the pressure fed.
Inclined to go with refurb origionals refit collars, I know what the sound I am looking for if one fails again. :lol:
The upgraded idler gear looks a good bet but if I do this I have to go with later tensioners?

Your thought would be most welcome, funds are pointing me to cheapest route but dont want to be a false economy.

Also with the chain covers removed how much oil would you expect to come out? I had a couple of pints out when I first removed them and left a small tub underneath to catch any more drips but must have had at least a couple more since then. Dont know exactly as my small tub overflowed and is now killing my grass. :oops:
1971 911E
1990 986S
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

3 is my favourite, 930 tensioners, and yes they do take the collars. Just keep it simple, fit the spacers with the old idler arms. But looking at the prices on type 911, I can see what you mean !! The 930 type tensioners are expensive!! Twice as much as I remember !! I wander if that is for a pair !!
Oh well.
The advantage of the oil fed ones is that it externally obvious that you have done this jobe to the engine. Reassurance to the buyer if you ever sell it.
Good luck with whatever you decide. I don't know about the oil question. Drain your oil tank just in case. It could be back feeding through the pump or something.
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I'm with Tim and go for the 930's. You can check out a post I started on the subject a long time ago.

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... =tensioner
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I've had the same pressurised tensioners on my hillclimb 911 since 1987 with no problems other than a cracked feed pipe in the first couple of months. (Writing this holding very tight to my wooden desk....................)
:roll:

Cheers

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

If you do decide to rebuild your current tensioners the part number is 911.105.901.01 available from Porsche for about 20 quid each. It's not too hard to rebuild.
Personally I don't reckon there's much difference between the std 911 tensioner and the non pressure-fed 930.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

James
Thanks for the information and your link to the rebuild article will be followed religiously.
Pelican list these parts as no longer available but still available from my local Porsche dealer, only £16 each kit so bargain compared to so called upgrade. :P
I assume its just engine oil used in them.
I have removed both tensioners and they were both gone, I could compress both of them by hand. :cry:
Have stripped first one and will start rebuild on Sunday. So far so good but I assume it will be harder to rebuild with the new bits in.
Will update when completed.
1971 911E
1990 986S
jaymatwhit
DDK above all

Re: Tensioners tensioners tensioners

Post by jaymatwhit »

erm.... my tensioners do not match anything on here or google - they look like the standard spring loaded ones with the arm and cylinder to hold the spring but mine are manually adjustable with 2 black bolts on the side to clamp the shaft - any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_4206.jpg
Last edited by jaymatwhit on Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USA Spec 1972 911 2.4Te MFI
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

jaymatwhit wrote:erm.... my tensioners do not match anything on here or google - they look like the standard spring loaded ones with the arm and cylinder to hold the spring but mine are manually adjustable with 2 black bolts on the side to clamp the shaft - any ideas?
Photograph? Sounds to me like a home-brewed set-up, taking a stock tensioner , drilling and tapping the body, and screwing in two bolts to turn it into an imitation of a 'solid' tensioner.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jaymatwhit
DDK above all

Post by jaymatwhit »

Thats what i thought but it looks like it was cast that way
Attachments
IMG_4205.jpg
USA Spec 1972 911 2.4Te MFI
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

MikeyC
Married to the DDK

Post by MikeyC »

Just come full circle on this one!!!! (It gets very confusing trying to help answer the same question on two posts!!)
Mike Champion
www.mceporsche.com