Door popping open

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

What is the state of the rest of the shell? A door coming open could be due to the complete shell flexing.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Thanks, Nick

The door shell looks in good nick. the hinges look good, there's no sag and the gaps are perfect....

i've a feeling it's the lock mechanism located in the door, but not certain.

the rotating clasp mechanism (located in the door) snaps into two locking positions nicely when i turn it with the door open to test it. i've tried to force it open (to replicate what's happening when the door is shut) but it seems to be firmly locked into place. the problem seems to be that i can't get it to snap shut on the stricker plate :?

Miggs: I've been meaning to look up some of the Hampshire/Dorset guys as I travel through that way quite a bit. Need to clear it with the war dept though...kicking tyres talking Porsche is NOT her idea of a good time :roll: shame!
'72 2.4S Targa
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

If you go back to my post on 23 April on this thred you will see I sugested the lock in the door. They get worn on the corners and the spring catch slips off you will see if you compaire a new and a old one. regards Berny.
willbrown
I luv DDK!

Post by willbrown »

Thanks Berny...it would seem to be the obvious weak link.

Anyone know where I might find a new clasp?...even better have a decent used one for a right hand door they're willing to sell?...I've checked Eurocarparts & Type911 and can't see them listed.
'72 2.4S Targa
Berny

Post by Berny »

I got some at the autojumble but have used them cant remember who I got them from i think they were about £5 each the guy had a box full but you had to know what you were looking for.
Berny

Post by Berny »

Try Nick Moss or Mark Wareing Tel nos will be in members no,s.