Can someone explain 356's to me?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Luke
DDK rules my life!

Can someone explain 356's to me?

Post by Luke »

Thinking of returning to the fold with a 356. Only problem is apart from the fact they are beautiful i know v little about them as my knowledge is all pre '73 911.

My budget precludes a speedster or convertible (and besides I prefer coupes), but the values of the various models seem to vary massively, and I'm not enitrely sure if I'm missing something or if there really is a vast difference between an A's, B's and C's??

From an investment point of view and assuming I can find an A1 car of any time (big assumption I know) what are the most desirable 356 coupes? (excluding GT's as I canny afford one)
Porscheless but still aircooled
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Desirability ?

For me (& many others - apart from my controversial 3rd choice) preference would be:

1. Pre-A
2. 356A
3. 356B 'Knotchback' (Karmann hardtop)
4. 356C or SC
5. 356B

However, it depends on what your usage pattern will be...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Get yourself Brett Johnson's The Porsche 356 - A Restorers Guide to Authenticity.

There is a massive difference between the models - a Pre A compared to a C, like Chalk and Cheese!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

As Andy says, it all depends on what you want to use the car for.

The later the car, the more "modern" it drives

For me, an A is the perfect combo - best looks and a few refinements from the pre A's.

If you want to really use it, then it would be a C or and SC.

Worth joining the 356 registry - a really interesting read every other month.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

my choice would be a preA, some people say there like driving a split beetle, very basic and unrefined but i found there was very little difference in that and the 'A' i had, i have driven both on long runs to europe,
PREA for me, the overall styling with the bent window and beehive lights and dashboard win the day, the earlier the better
like i say in another topic the this http://www.europeancollectibles.com/inv ... nv_id=C968 looks good value for money
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Pre A

I was told when I bought my Pre A what did you do that for.... the A is a better car

Hmm I have to agree with 356boy. The A is the next best buy in my view but the very early cars are alround a nicer simpler car. I love the looks of a Pre A over any other model..

I will say that a nice A is a very god buy back into Porsches and there some more about. Will you be ok with the Speed difference I mean a 356 is not the quickest car in the world having had one of the best Pre 73 911's and a 997? You will be doing 65 on the motorway.. But with a 912 motor in the back as many A's have ( over time people have put in 912 motors )you get a steady 70 75 is much more of an easy drive..

Value wise well I have to say 356's have in the last 2 years really gone a little bit mad. there is a post up here for what looks a very nice A for sale in Europe with out seeing more pictures I would say it's worth a look for sure...
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

If I wanted to buy one 356 I would go for PreA as well as long as you aren't going to use it as a daily driver. Go for a bent window one as well, they have the syncromesh gearbox! The only problem is finding one as they are rare and therefore expensive.

I think the early cars are much more interesting to drive and have great character as long as you don't mind cruising at 65 on the motorways. The only problem is that the suspension needs careful setting up. I drove to Switzerland and Spain in mine last year with hardly any problems, it was great fun.

If you are going to use it for long distances quite a lot, it would probably be worth going for a late B or C. The only difference here is the brakes! The drums on my '62 are very capable in modern traffic and can't be much different from the discs on a C.

Going back to prices, there usually isn't much difference in price between As and Cs (it's more about the condition of the body), the Bs are cheaper because they are much more common (20some thousand made?) and don't have the looks of the A or the ultimate drivability of the C. PreAs? It just depends how lucky you are in finding one.

Anyway, I would go to Heddingham (if you can wait that long), have a look at the cars and talk to the owners. You would get an idea of what you really want and then just go for that.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

for us the choice came down to what we could find for sale within our budget.

theres an awful lot of dogs out there that were once nice cars :cry:
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Just keep asking around and take your time.
Don't buy one just for the sake of having one or you'll end up spending way more in the long term, I know I have done!
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

I've had a few lovely Pre A's and A's (and the world's most comprehensively rotted B...) and swear by my early A: '55-'56 the most aesthetically pleasing shape with neat screen, larger rear arches and beehive tail lights. Buy one!

As an aside, my only ever C had none of the rawness that I love about pre A's and A's but was by far the best daily driver with confident discs and great potential when lowered over 16" fuchs and lo-pros - and of course any 130pcd porsche rims are a straight bolt up - sandblasted cookies looking particularly pukka :wink:

C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

so there you have it, preA wins hands down :lol:
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Get a C. :wink:
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Steven wrote:Get a C. :wink:
If I went or go for a 356 in the not too distant future it will be a C. Kind of like an early 912!
Last edited by Bootsy on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

Thanks guys,I knew I'd get some honest advice!

So it looks like th preA is the winner with the A a close second. Now its just a case of finding one...

This car is going to be a low mileage summer weekend use only car so its long distance performance isn't a concern. I've radically rethought my car needs, the 997 was fantastic but not driven much and when I did use it I could really do with a bit more luggage space, so I am now aiming for a "station car" like a golf or maybe a new 500, a pristine classic for sunny weekends (and of course so I can hold my head high on this forum) and the speed will come in 2 wheel form (if I pass my test in a fortnight). 65 is fine for central london!
Porscheless but still aircooled
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Sounds easy now you just have to find a Pre A.. and with there being about 20 in the UK it's about as rare as 911 RS's only even more rare.. :lol:

Cars do come up and I can ask the guys i know in the US about any well sorted cars.. one was available in Novemeber for $28,000 which I thoughts was a total steal...for a up and running tidy Pre A..

They are certainly investment cars at the moment..

Have a look at that A 356boy posted up does look a nice car but pictures and all that.. still worth asking for better pictures..

Will pass on any cars I know of and post up on the Pre A hide outs for you...