window winder mechanism

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

window winder mechanism

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Does anyone have a picture of a window winder mechanism out of the car...

I got to the office carpark this morning wound the pass. window slightly to swipe my barrier pass, didnt realise but i must have been leaning on the top of the glass ...clunk.. the glass dropped about 4"... the winder won't wind it up and it won't slide up either...sounded like something fell into the bottom of the door

Cheers one and all
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Sounds like the bottom bar has pos popped off it's mounting..

I don't think I have a picture but I am sure there is some on the web like Pelican..

Just reread your post.. I would seam that the rollers ( 2 ) that sit in the track have popped out and then the window has then jammed next to the frame.. just go careful but it sounds like you may have to losen some of the bolts to the frame to release the glass.

You may then need to losen the chrome frame inorder to refit the glass back in the track part of the window lifter.. but just remember there is a method to doing up the bolts to the frame much in the same way as doing up the head on the engine.. turst me on this one my window never shut properly as soon as I slacked the bolts off and did it up as per the book the window works a treat!!

have you the orange 912 book? I know it's all in there.

let me know I could try taking a picture of it and you can see it all

give me a call later if your stuck I have ( as you know ) lots of books I can photograph for you

Mark
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Cheers buddy :)

I've just got in from the garage (grub is about to be served by Mrs G)

I've taken out the winder mech, it's quite easy to see what happened, the toothed part had come apart from the roller part, then the spring fell off.

looks like I just need to file some of the top the connecting piece to fool it into thinking its longer, push it in place, splay it out at the back, pop the spring back on re-install and I'm good to go.

fingers crossed i won't have to reverse into the office carpark tomorrow, corr blimey don't these cars wind you up sometimes :oops: :lol:
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Oh yes...
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

I have a problem with my door window on my '69 912. The window itself is hardly moving up or down, so it disengages from mechanism, if I try to lower the window. I took the door panel of and the mechanism is workin smoothly. I tried to oil the window rails but it didn't help, not that I was expecting much improvement. Enyone have an idea what is jamming the window?
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

You probably new window guide seals. The old ones have steel inards, which clamp the glass as they rust. New ones are rubber only.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Welcome back Darren.
Long time no hear.
Glad you are ok.
jb
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Jason - Darren's posts were from 2007 ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Thanks Nick, I'll look for new quide seals then.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

You can test the seals by removing the frame and seeing if the window goes up and down freely on its own.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

I had the mechanism of the window, and the window itself was hardly moving by hand. I had to use so much force that I was afraid it would break. So I bet your diagnose is spot on.
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by stuby »

Just a thought - it IS the correct glass that is in your door - there are 2 sizes of door glass, one which was fitted on the early cars (chrome on brass frames, which is slightly larger (wider) across the bottom. The later cars (anodised aluminium frames) had a smaller door glass

HTH
Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

I disassembled the door and the guideseals were aftermarket type, without steel reinforcement. Glass does move on the frame when it's off the car, but it's getting stuck when mounting the frame to the door. So is it wrong kind of glass then? How to tell them apart? Is there difference in markings? Or do I need to measure?

Right hand side is working, so I could tear that also apart and compare. Might take some time thought, as I'm driving the car with the left hand side window unoperational, but in it's place.
stuby
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by stuby »

The difference is on the lower 2 inches of the glass, at the front edge (the one that runs in the channel nearest to the 1/4 glass)
Are tour frames chrome on brass or anodised aluminium?
The difference in sizes are approx 3mm (only on the lower edge) which is enough to stop it operating properly.

HTH
Stu
Don't shoot the messenger....He's only doing his job!
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

They seem to be aluminium. They are original '69 frames without went window. I quess making hardened glass smaller is out of the question by DYI methods. I've heard that by sand blasting it could be possible...