Check your throttle cable links…

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Item number 10 (lifted from Brays)…

I was just off out for a nice drive on Sunday arvo, went to to pull away from the lights and the pedal went flat to the floor… ok I thought…maybe a connector has come off, pushed the car around the corner had a look in the engine bay, everything is connected, had a look underneath and the cable connector had broken…grrrrrr :(

I went past a motor factors just before this happened so walked back up the road and luckily they were open, I bowled in and explained my plight, the guy was like errr…. No sorry we’ve got nothing you could use, undeterred I had a good root around for something that would possibly get me home rather than wait for the knights of the road… all I could muster was a pair of fuel line clamps and a spring…filled with optimism I went back to the car, and laying between the curb and the car removed the entire cable and rod to the bell crank and in true Magaiver style managed to connect them together like so… :oops:

Put it all back together and went happily on back home, infact my botch repair lasted for 2 days on the daily commute as well…

A quick call to brays for a replacement item Monday morning to order a replacement part, £18.. Ok whats so special about it then…you can see the new one has a steel case so if it happens again the steel case keeps everything together… much better

just fitted the new and improved bit this evening, greased up the cable so I'm good for a lead footed drive to work tomorrow once again :P

Moral… don’t let this daft little piece ruin a drive out for you, check you’ve got the updated steel cased linkage before you get stuck
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Excellent initiative & 'get-you-home' tactics Darren !
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Barry

Post by Barry »

:) .

I remember on that now long-distant 911 Tech. Symposium at Cornbury House there was a chap that had driven all the way up the motorway using some string out through the window, and into the engine bay, onto the throttle: same thing had happened.

He'd actually marked his hand quite badly, as the throttle took so much to operate :roll: . Still good for him, as he made it.

Well done, Darren: good thread, and thanks for the reminder 8) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

A very similar thing happened to me many moons ago in a Karmann Ghia. I waited for the AA and we bodged a get home repair - problem was I broke down in the heart of the red light district in Norwich and was contunually propositioned but ladies of the night.

Ironic really that my office is now also in said area!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Thank gents, it was quite a satisfying get me out the sh** quick fix.
Bootsy wrote: I broke down in the heart of the red light district in Norwich and was contunually propositioned but ladies of the night.

Ironic really that my office is now also in said area!
I'm saying nothing, but I think you're leaving yourself wide open there Bootsy :lol: :lol:
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Gilbert '71 T wrote:Item number 10 (lifted from Brays)…

I was just off out for a nice drive on Sunday, went to to pull away from the lights and the pedal went flat to the floor… Moral… don’t let this daft little piece ruin a drive out for you, check you’ve got the updated steel cased linkage before you get stuck
I wish I'd read this thread before heading off for CLM:

Even though there was no sign of a stripped thread we just couldn't get the coupler (10) to reconnect to the threaded bar on the throttle side and after plenty of 'merds' from the old French mechanic eventually ended up reversing the orientation of the coupler, which thankfully got me home.

I also lost the hand throttle which I guess means the plastic coupler has slipped off, so hopefully a relatively easy job to reconnect.

Anyway, I plan to replace the coupler but should I also replace the entire throttle rod (22 & 23) assembly at the same time?

Martin
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

I think its the coupler which is the weak point, I wouldn't bother changing all the rods unless you can see obvious wear/damage in them.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
hot66

Re: Check your throttle cable links…

Post by hot66 »

mrg3.6 wrote:
Gilbert '71 T wrote:Item number 10 (lifted from Brays)…

I was just off out for a nice drive on Sunday, went to to pull away from the lights and the pedal went flat to the floor… Moral… don’t let this daft little piece ruin a drive out for you, check you’ve got the updated steel cased linkage before you get stuck
I wish I'd read this thread before heading off for CLM:

Even though there was no sign of a stripped thread we just couldn't get the coupler (10) to reconnect to the threaded bar on the throttle side and after plenty of 'merds' from the old French mechanic eventually ended up reversing the orientation of the coupler, which thankfully got me home.

I also lost the hand throttle which I guess means the plastic coupler has slipped off, so hopefully a relatively easy job to reconnect.

Anyway, I plan to replace the coupler but should I also replace the entire throttle rod (22 & 23) assembly at the same time?

Martin
you should have given me a call @ CLM ... I had one in my spare parts box
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Re: Check your throttle cable links…

Post by mrg3.6 »

hot66 wrote: you should have given me a call @ CLM ... I had one in my spare parts box
In 2010, I promise to take the tent poles and the DDK contact list :oops:

Martin
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I've also had one fail, my super quick get me home bodge was a Polo mint jammed in the idle stop :lol: