Should I feel like this about a car?!

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

timmyboy
DDK above all

Should I feel like this about a car?!

Post by timmyboy »

To be honest I don't really have anything to say, just.....I think, only the people here will understand just how much I love my 911. I've only had it a few months, I'm just starting top get used to double-d-clutching (or how ever you spell it!) When for a blast in the counrty tonight, had my first successfull heal/toe action....

bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Know how you feel, took me ages getting the heel and toe right with the 911 pedals 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Absolutey - I took the long way home from work where there's a fantastic set of bends - felt absolutely brilliant - only been able to use the whole rev range for the last two days after rebuild.

Brought a real smile to my face and meant I felt human by the time I got home from work.

Nice pics by the way
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Gilbert '71 T
I luv DDK!

Post by Gilbert '71 T »

Totally understand Tim, glad you're beginning to enjoy the car now 8)

I've even taken my video camera out on a few early morning runs for some in-car footage blasting through the lanes, now i can re live those moments over again when i'm stuck indoors, pretty sad eh :roll: :lol: :lol:

Nice picture as well
Darren
71 911T with C3 motor
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Hi timmyboy,

well done on the heel and toe-ing action. But the point is to not beat the synchromesh whilst shifting, so I find counting "twenty-one, twenty-two" gives enough time to let the revs drop and plonk it in.

A 911 can be hard work at moments (traffic jam anyone?) let alone double declutching etc.

When was the last time your gear box oil was changed, or even your gear linkage bushes? This can greatly improve your shifting experience for relatively little outlay.

Grrrrrreat pics btw! :wink:
sladey wrote:I felt human by the time I got home from work.

Oooooo yessssss!

Best regards,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I have these same strong feelings too for my car :oops: :lol:

If you need to double de-clutch, I think you need to look at your box / linkage :shock:

I heel & toe in all my cars & it is satisfying ( & sounds cool too ;) ). Very usufull technique for matching engine speed to 'wheel' speed when down shifting :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
timmyboy
DDK above all

Post by timmyboy »

It doesn't need to be double de-clutched, it will shift into evry gear fine. I'm only using it on down shifts, mainly into second. To be honest, when I first drove it, it was the shift I was most impressed with (apart for the short shifter, that soon went). I'd only driven things like MGs before and there is so much more movement on the 911 but it would still shift amazingly well.

I'm going to change the gearbox oil before I go to Le Mans. :lol:

Can't wait.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

put some swepco in it. I deffo noticed a change in my shift quality when I replaced the gear oil with swepco :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

timmyboy wrote:It doesn't need to be double de-clutched, it will shift into evry gear fine. I'm only using it on down shifts, mainly into second. To be honest, when I first drove it, it was the shift I was most impressed with (apart for the short shifter, that soon went). I'd only driven things like MGs before and there is so much more movement on the 911 but it would still shift amazingly well.

I'm going to change the gearbox oil before I go to Le Mans. :lol:

Can't wait.
Good stuff Tim. Any joy on your service??

Bertroex wrote:Hi timmyboy,

well done on the heel and toe-ing action. But the point is to not beat the synchromesh whilst shifting, so I find counting "twenty-one, twenty-two" gives enough time to let the revs drop and plonk it in.

Bert
Point of order B isn't the idea to beat the syncros???? IMO DD clutching is faster because a) Matching the speed of the shafts in the 'box is faster than relying on the syncros to do it for you b) It allows you to let the clutch pedal up in an instant rather than having to ease it in gradually which takes time if you want to avoid jarring the car, or on a track in the wet locking the rears and possibly spinning the car. Modern cars with fast syncros obviate the need only on the basis of a) but it is still valid on the basis of b). Vic Elford states in his book on the subject that it is incredible how many people do not know how to change gear in a Porsche. He advocates DD clutching up AND down the gears. Whipping it into neutral and popping the clutch up going up the gears (without touching the throttle) also beats the syncros and in fact preserves them. He is a living legend ...... so I just do what he says!!! Or at least try!!!

Changing gear in a 911 is highly technical IMO. Just check the subject out on pelican, there are threads, and threads, and threads on the subject. The sporto was Porsches answer for those that did not want to get involved.
Keith
Bertroex

Post by Bertroex »

veryporky wrote:

Point of order B isn't the idea to beat the syncros???? IMO DD clutching is faster because a) Matching the speed of the shafts in the 'box is faster than relying on the syncros to do it for you b) It allows you to let the clutch pedal up in an instant rather than having to ease it in gradually which takes time if you want to avoid jarring the car, or on a track in the wet locking the rears and possibly spinning the car. Modern cars with fast syncros obviate the need only on the basis of a) but it is still valid on the basis of b). Vic Elford states in his book on the subject that it is incredible how many people do not know how to change gear in a Porsche. He advocates DD clutching up AND down the gears. Whipping it into neutral and popping the clutch up going up the gears (without touching the throttle) also beats the syncros and in fact preserves them. He is a living legend ...... so I just do what he says!!! Or at least try!!!

Well Keith old bean,

at the moment my gear linkage isnt lined up properly so I have to pull all kinds of tricks to shift her. My car is however booked in on the 30th for adjusting this, change an oil pipe and thermostat and do a load of checks and what not post-rebuild. I also ordered some swepco from Bert Gear so fingers crossed.

Only one way to go: I will go through the litterature and links and try to remember my porsche driving course. I'll come down to that road past the airfield close to your house and you tell me what to do.

Then I will practice practice practice. How about that :wink:

(neurofen will be provided :lol: )

Best regards,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I agree with Keith. Double declutching is what had to be done befiore synchros, and even with a synchro box will save wear on the synchros and dogs. If the synchros are worn it is essential for fast changes otherwise you need to wait for the gears to match their speed. DDCing and heal and toeing just add to the pleasure on the road but are essential for fast track driving.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Bertroex

Post by Bertroex »

Do you find that heel and toeing is comfortable using the standard pedals in a 911?

Regards

bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
timmyboy
DDK above all

Post by timmyboy »

Hiya Keith,

I spoke to my mate with the tr5 and he has done these before. He's got a workshop near cardington with a ramp, so he said he'll go through it all with me. Thanks for the offer but I don't want to burdon you at the moment when you've got three cars to get sorted! :lol: He won't charge me to much either.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I find the 911 has one of the easiest setups to heal & toe
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

Bertroex wrote:Do you find that heel and toeing is comfortable using the standard pedals in a 911?

Regards

bert
Hi Bert,

You're tall like me. It is quite tricky with a standard steering wheel. I find with the bigger wheels the lower part of the rim gets in the way of my knee. A smaller wheel will give greater freedom of movement.

timmyboy wrote:Hiya Keith,

I spoke to my mate with the tr5 and he has done these before. He's got a workshop near cardington with a ramp, so he said he'll go through it all with me. Thanks for the offer but I don't want to burdon you at the moment when you've got three cars to get sorted! :lol: He won't charge me to much either.
Hi Tim,

Glad you've got somewhere to do it. As well as the obvious stuff like the valves, oil in the engine and box, make sure the ignition timing is checked @ 6000 rpm. Often people think if they change the points and set the gap as standard it won't alter the timing. If somebody of that mindset has fiddled with your car you could end up with an over advance situation and a fried engine. Set the gap with a dwell meter for smooth running. I have one you can borrow if your mate has not. Preferably drop in a new set of points at the same time.
Keith