House of Karmann

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Re: House of Karmann

Post by greg356a »

Yes, been watching the guys. I must say going to be a very special KG, sure it will win many smiles. Detail is outstanding and getting it done so quickly. Love the Porsche liquid metal silver and black. Looking forward to seeing the interior.
Not sure if they saw my DDK blog first does seem very similar in style and choice. :) I wounder if they are going down the IVA route?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

It struck me the chassis was the same or similar to yours.

They are doing/finished a mid 70's 911 targa, from rust to paint. They make it look so easy.

IVA is an owners choice?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Plenty of threads on here about IVA. Any modification from original to a car seems to make it liable for IVA and meeting a set of regulations and therefor not really optional. My speedster was built to IVA standards of which most are for safety and I do agree with most points. Even simple stuff like hazard lights, brake fluid level warning, rear fog light, Seat headrests, etc all make sense. Down side if you dont score enough originality points the car ends up with a Q plate.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

greg356a wrote:Plenty of threads on here about IVA. Any modification from original to a car seems to make it liable for IVA and meeting a set of regulations and therefor not really optional. My speedster was built to IVA standards of which most are for safety and I do agree with most points. Even simple stuff like hazard lights, brake fluid level warning, rear fog light, Seat headrests, etc all make sense. Down side if you dont score enough originality points the car ends up with a Q plate.
That's interesting to learn. So if it's original enough it can retain period plates? Does it need to be similar to itself when it was original, or similar to some period car?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

IIRC the Gov.uk web site has a good explanation of what is required and when the mods are so far you have to go to IVA to get registered.
Not everything is black and white mind (in my opinion) and there are many opinions, hence not black or white!

A real mine field, but the Gov.uk write-up is good.

If there is an expert on the topic on DDK it is KS.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Back to progress.

Body is now rust free and RHD. Chassis is ready to come back for additional work hopefully on Wednesday night. Hopefully the clips below work ok.

ImageIMG_8910 (1)

ImageIMG_8909 (1)

Also found a set of these 986 sport classics at super low price :)

ImageSport classic 2
7.5 x 18 ET52 and 9 x 18 ET65 will see how they fit.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Hi Greg,
Must have been living under a stone as I knew about your Speedster and 356 build but had missed this build completely. Just done an end to end thread read and it's some project this one... I have a turboed type 1 Oval beetle EFI that has taken me a long while to get right, so if I can help at all then I'm not far from you, and if you are going along to Volksworld this year then it would be good to meet up and share stories.
Rob.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Playing around with some movie, talky stuff. Please click on below;

ImageKG Front Rotation

These Porsche sport classic II are enormous to fit under a KG, but makes for a fun mini or maybe major project. I have used the greatest inward offset rims so that I can space them more central. Will see what happens when the chassis is back under the body. Hopefully wont have to pie cut the arches as Bader racing did.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw