Spare Parts Catalog III restoration/reprint

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

drew01356
DDK addict

Spare Parts Catalog III restoration/reprint

Post by drew01356 »

Hi Guys I thought I would share my latest project, no not another 356 restoration but a tale of trying to restore a Spare Parts Catalog to help me with my numerous 356A projects.
DSCF6931_sml2.jpg
DSCF6933_sml2.jpg
It all started some five years ago when I purchased an original but tatty May 1957 example, from the front sheet it was printed in 1969 and was one of 200 printed that year. It was complete with all the updates for 356A cars including the convertible D and a fascinating section on the 1500 GS Carrera.
I was just going to make a new cover for my broken original and maybe replace some of the torn dividers, I started scanning the dividers and one thing led to another and by the time I had finished I had scanned every page. So I thought how difficult can it be to make a few extras to supplement my restoration coffers, at the time originals even Stoddard re-prints were going for silly prices.
If I had known then how time consuming making just one Catalog would be I would never have started, anyway like all good ideas the project stalled. I had retouched (cleaned up) every page and printed enough pages to make eight copies but my real 356’s got in the way.

Fast forward to 2020, Caronavirus and lock down meant that I had time on my hands so I set out to finish this long forgotten project.
I invested in the correct book binding materials, die stamps for the covers and a machine to hot stamp them I even purchased a well used hole drilling machine as I was not looking forward to hand punching hundreds and hundreds of pages.
Range-sml copy2.jpg
I’m happy with the end result, the contents are crisp the bindings turned out really nice the only thing that I would say could have gone better was the die stamping on the covers, it looks great from a couple of feet away but is not as crisp as the original.
Anyway these are now ready for eight new owners complete with a reprint of the factory packaging. I would be really interested to know what sort of price I should put on these before I put them in the classified section.
Regards
Drew
1944 Porsche Type 82 Kubelwagen Sold
1959 A RHD WUF 810 Sold
1959 A LHD Convertible D Sold
1959 A RHD UK car Sold
1959 A RHD South African car in the workshop now
1959 Messerschmitt Kr201 close to completion
1959 A LHD Convertible D the final project
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Spare Parts Catalog III restoration/reprint

Post by roy mawbey »

Drew,

They look really super, well done on that indeed. I bought my 356A workshop manual and the supplement manual for late T2 cars for £5-00 new in 1969 from AFN. They advised I was lucky to get them as their stock from Porsche on the 356A was low. I never knew then there was a spare parts manual as well. In 1969 the five pounds was a fair bit of money then for a book but I wou;d have been lost woithout it!! The Elfrink book I never saw till much later from the States.

If I were going to attempt all the jobs now the spare parts book wou;d be good to have, and would never have been cheap.

Difficult to price I looked on Brays and Stoddard. They don't have them but... I nearly fell off my chair at Stoddards price for a 356A workshop manual not in the original red colour like your sparts parts one but, I presume a copy of an original? and maybe it includes the late T2 supplement but is not mentioned at $544.72 !! plus delivery costs of course. Makes my £5-00 investment in 69 a good one. Also makes the Elfrink book a good idea if you need to work on one.Years ago they were costing £30- from Brays don't know if they still stock those Elfrink books.

So... I hesitate to say but I can see £100 - £150 but again I am an old bloke used to old prices. But they would look really
good in any collection.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Drew,

They look really super, well done on that indeed. I bought my 356A workshop manual and the supplement manual for late T2 cars for £5-00 new in 1969 from AFN. They advised I was lucky to get them as their stock from Porsche on the 356A was low. I never knew then there was a spare parts manual as well. In 1969 the five pounds was a fair bit of money then for a book but I wou;d have been lost woithout it!! The Elfrink book I never saw till much later from the States.

If I were going to attempt all the jobs now the spare parts book wou;d be good to have, and would never have been cheap.

Difficult to price I looked on Brays and Stoddard. They don't have them but... I nearly fell off my chair at Stoddards price for a 356A workshop manual not in the original red colour like your sparts parts one but, I presume a copy of an original? and maybe it includes the late T2 supplement but is not mentioned at $544.72 !! plus delivery costs of course. Makes my £5-00 investment in 69 a good one. Also makes the Elfrink book a good idea if you need to work on one.Years ago they were costing £30- from Brays don't know if they still stock those Elfrink books.

So... I hesitate to say but I can see £100 - £150 but again I am an old bloke used to old prices. But they would look really
good in any collection.

Roy
drew01356
DDK addict

Post by drew01356 »

Hi Roy
Thanks for your kind comments, you were a very lucky guy to have bought your manuals back in the 60's unfortunately prices have gone up slightly since then.
If anyone is restoring a 356A then these Spare Parts Catalog's are invaluable, I refer to mine almost everyday, they show every nut bolt and washer and what order they go in.
Manual and box-sml.jpg
Open-sml.jpg
Carrera-sml.jpg
Now Roy, this is the point where you need to take a seat as prices have gone through the roof since the 60's.
A reasonable Stoddard 1980's reprint will go for $400-$500, with originals in perfect condition selling for $700-$800 plus.
So after talking to a few people in the know I have settled on £450 for each catalog £475 if you want one with the factory packaging.
I will be putting the seven I have left into the 'for sale' section soon.
Regards
Drew
1944 Porsche Type 82 Kubelwagen Sold
1959 A RHD WUF 810 Sold
1959 A LHD Convertible D Sold
1959 A RHD UK car Sold
1959 A RHD South African car in the workshop now
1959 Messerschmitt Kr201 close to completion
1959 A LHD Convertible D the final project
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

You see Drew I am just an old bloke out of touch with most things regarding prices. I have a few original Porsche written information items relevant to my 356A I will be careful now to look after them!!

Your books do look really nice!!

Roy
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

You see Drew I am just an old bloke out of touch with most things regarding prices. I have a few original Porsche written information items relevant to my 356A I will be careful now to look after them!!

Your books do look really nice!!

Roy I wonder if this went on I will try again.