Change of Tyres

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

912Flyer
DDK above all

Change of Tyres

Post by 912Flyer »

I eventually decided to see what all this fuss was about the CN36 Pirelli that Dougal raves about and a nice benefit was that Tom at Longstone had a set of 2017 N4 tyres at a deal of just over £100 a tyre so essentially 50% off the price - deal done and he hung onto them and didn't charge until tyre fitters opened.

It is a bit soon to provide an overall impression but the steering has lightened and provides fantastic feedback. Grip levels are impressive so much so that on the twisties a Golf R couldn't drop me and gave up in the end and let me take the lead. I had Pirelli Sport Contact 2's on previously but a lot of the feedback is probably been from moving to 165's from 195's but the asymmetrical shape of the CN36's also seems to help with steering feel and stops the tram lining I previously had. The grip and balance through the tyres is outstanding and I have yet to unseat the tyres whereas the previous modern rubber easily let go and provided no confidence. I have also tried them in the wet caught out in one of the downfalls of the last couple of weeks and again they felt very stable.

I'm no tyre expert and have bought from Vintage tyres and Dougal so no allegiance either. The Michelin XAS Formula France tyres purchased last year for my Elan from Vintage tyres were very expensive and the change is even more dramatic on those but the guys at Vintage told me, as well as being asymmetric as originally specified and designed around by Lotus, are now made from the current pilot sport cup compound so very sticky. They were very expensive but have given me the ride and feel I always remember having in the Elan.

Sorry for the digression but this is what led me down the same route for the 912 to look at Porsche spec tyres and I am running 15x5.5 Fuchs. I have been pleasantly surprised and pleased with the CN36's and whilst not as dramatic a change as the Lotus which is probably more sensitive to modern profiles I am please I purchased these and this is my own personal view and I am not qualified technically to provide a professional view.

Couple of Before and after Photos in that order hopefully you can see they have less of a balloon effect.

After

1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: Change of Tyres

Post by yoda »

Interesting feedback, thanks for the insight. Car is looking lovely by the way.

Out of curiosity, what tyres are you using on the Alfa? Any pics?
The force is strong in this one ......
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Car looks much better on those period boots, great to hear you’ve noticed such an improvement.

A thumbs up for Pirelli cinturaros :cheers: for the golf R not so much!
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
GonzoBard
DDK addict

Post by GonzoBard »

Both impressed and surprised that you kept up with a Golf R. I suppose it comes down to the abilities of each driver.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you for the feedback

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP