Gear shifters - experiences?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Gear shifters - experiences?

Post by Dougieboy1 »

Car is a 72, came with a 73 shifter tower. Because i am a fool for originality, i sourced a 5 speed 72 (one year only) shifter and rebuilt that with new bushes etc. It is absolutely horrible. Calling it vague is an insult to other vague boxes. selection of 2nd is especially comical.

73 shifter refitted and it is much better but the throw of the gearstick makes 5th a bit of a stretch. I also dont like the black stick - 72 should be chrome

Am toying with the idea of a Rennshift short shift replacement with polished ali stick.

Has anyone got any experience of them and would you recommend it over a regular 73 shifter tower? Am not looking at the one with the 2 inch stick extension as i am guessing that will simply give me the same issue i have, the gear stick is too far away for comfort in 5th (it is a LHD car).

I realise i am not going to get the same crispness as a modern box but there has to be a better way.

Thanks
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Re: Gear shifters - experiences?

Post by Dougieboy1 »

probably should have posted in technical, sorry....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

I have used the later 3.2 Carrera short shift conversion in my 72 based Hillclimb car for years, and have always been happy with it.
You would have to chrome plate the shaft though! :roll:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I've been through a few to find something that suits me and my build.

73T with a 915 fully rebuilt box by Bainbridge, all bushes new, inc the connection to the box, no oval slotted bushes, so everything as tight as possible for the road/hillclimbs.

Stock tall tower, long throws, critical adjustment or getting 2nd becomes a pain. Slow change speed.

Add factory short shift to above. Horrid, lasted 3 weeks, back to stock.
Added the Seine shift kit to spring detent the shifter to 3.4th plane. Much better all-round, long stock gear change.

Swopped the lot for a Renneshift changer. Fabulous nearly...., but the short shift throw made the change hard going.
Extended the lever to increase the throw(!) to somewhere between stock and short.

Now fabulous, been this way for 5 years now. May left hand 'drops' to the gear knob, very ergonomically correct for me.
Looks very factory with the stock gaiter.

Hope this helps.
Graham.

ps, nobody changes a 915 gear faster than Jonathan... :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Have had both Rennshifter and the Wevo, liked both and both produce good shifts and there is a bit more adjustability with the Rennshifter.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Hi

I have the Rennshifter in my LHD 2.2E with a 911 dogleg gearbox. I like the shifter overall although it does make the shift heavy due to the shorter throw. It may be better with the leaver extended a little as Graham has said, I may try that myself.

A few people have driven my car, all be it for only a short time and I have mixed results. James Hot66 hates it......I think both the shifter and the dogleg box takes a bit of getting used too.

Gear selection is more precise but like I say heavier. Still cant rush a change though.

Hope that helps a little.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Dougieboy1 wrote:...... I also dont like the black stick - 72 should be chrome.....
....wasn't aware of that and don't think I've ever seen one.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Yup. Mines a 915 with early shifter tower and it’s chrome.

Never had a problem with it, but also never tried anything else so guess I’m used to it.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Darren65 wrote:
Dougieboy1 wrote:...... I also dont like the black stick - 72 should be chrome.....
....wasn't aware of that and don't think I've ever seen one.
I think your memory is playing tricks on you Darren - here's a picture of the gearlever in my old '72 Sepia 2.4T:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The Rennshift has 2 'short shift' positions, it come to you pre-assembled (so you keep your stock tower in one piece) with the longest short throw. Heaven knows what the short-short position is like on effort.

I added a 2" extension to th lever which makes the shift distance about 80 of standard, say an inch out of the stock throw length.

I made the extension with a clamping screw and a wooden ball knob from Fenn Lane...

Suits me. Should add my 911 is RHD.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I tried the short throw position on the 914 with 901 box once......the rest of the time the longer throw!

I must admit, my impressions were mixed and I found that the standard shifter but with the Rennshift linkage was the best set up for me. But, obviously totally different car and RHD conversion, which did mess with natural flow of the lever.

They are brilliantly engineered though, with adjustable stops etc. I think there are now various options on lever lengths too.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I've ordered a quick change kit from "Fister motorsports" ( yes, really !) for my 993 C4S, just waiting for it to arrive.. ( all the reviews are excellent )

https://fdmotorsports.net/shop/ols/prod ... -shift-kit

I think they make some gear lever / change bits for Singer. They have a kit for 914 listed on their website, I guess they'll do an early 911 gear change, maybe worth a call ?
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

For a 915 box, you are not really looking for the “quick change” option due to the Porsche synchro’s well known issues, but what I like about the Rennshifter is the precision, certainty of the change and the shorter throw. On the odd occasion were I got in a muddle, I simply let the stick self centre and then select 3rd or 4th.

And yes you can ofcourse fast shift a well set up 915 if you want, Graham having had the pleasure of a drive in Mr Moran’s rally car for example ;)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Moran's car was out of this world, cannot believe it was a 915, as slick as my Impreza's box.
Moran's 911 had a Bainbridge built box and wevo parts everywhere.

The whole car was killer tbh, talk about sharp!

I found 'in the heat of the moment' gear changes, the change was improved with polybushes in the box and engine mounts.

Road driving it made no difference rubber or poly.
Jonathans demon 911 is solid mount.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:I think your memory is playing tricks on you Darren - here's a picture of the gearlever in my old '72 Sepia 2.4T:[/img]
....it's an age thing Andy! :?