Moderators: Miggs, KS

Kipster
DDK Newbie

Tangerine 912

Post by Kipster »

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1227021

First post on DDK, here goes.......

Hello all,

I came across the above car on car and classic. I really like it but unsure I like it £58K worth....
Does anybody know this car and can give me any info on it?

Much appreciated in advance!

Kipster
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Tangerine 912

Post by Bootsy »

Depends what it's like structurally

Although compare this (I know it's not in your chosen colour) http://revival-cars.com/for-sale/1965-lhd-912-coupe/

Is the 68 really worth more than the rarer 65?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

I don’t know the car personally but pretty sure the ginger muf car was once owned by a ddker, I’m sure it’s been at one of our meets somewhere, Stanford hall maybe? It certainly looks well in the pics and the list of work done does sound extensive, only way to tell if it’s right for you is to go and see it in person I’d say.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

The 'MUF' car was owned by my friend Vic Polkinghorn from Brighton. Cover car on issue #2 of Classic Porsche and with great history. Engine by Andy Prill and I know Vic used it for some track days at Goodwood, where it stood its ground against 911s. Unless it's deteriorated since then, it's a very nice useable example.

For effectively the same price (after some haggling...), a hard decision that can only be resolved by looking and driving.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

I don’t know Vic and haven’t seen this car in the metal. So I offer these comments, not as criticism of either, just as simple observations.

58K is top money for a 68 I would think, maybe too strong in the present market.

For that kind of money, I’d like to see correct air filters and all the correct pieces in the engine bay.

As a US 68 it would originally have had the smog pump emissions gear. I think I see some of it left on either side of the engine bay. These were not the best of heads because of the emissions gear.

Yes the seats have been recovered, possibly with the lake well kits, note the stitched seams? 68s had unique one year only interior features. I’d want to see all of that correct inside too. Not easy to find.

Not sure 68s came with wood steering wheels, maybe an option?

Presents well in the photos, needs a good looking at and close attention to the 68 only details for that money.

Of course it depends what you want the car to be.

Welcome and best of luck finding the right car. Matt
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Bootsy wrote: Is the 68 really worth more than the rarer 65?

68 was a one year only car? Last of the SWB!

(Disclosure, yes I’m biased being a 68 912 owner)
KS

Post by KS »

My only comment with regard incorrect air filters and interior would be that I'd rather pay more money for a good, well built driver's car than a bog-stock restoration, knowing that it will give endless miles of driving pleasure. Unless, of course, you're buying a car as an investment, in which case I'm out. :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

As I say Keith, it wasn’t intended as a slight on your friend. Simple observation for a car at that price.

Mine isn’t as smart but I don’t think it is worth that money either. But I do enjoy driving it.... and messing around with set up photos.... :lol:

Kipster
DDK Newbie

Post by Kipster »

Thanks for your comments so far chaps!
My intention is to buy a keeper and not as an investment. I just want fun, after all I am 58......

Keep giving me pointers that will allow me to make an informed decision please and yes, inspecting and driving is key.

Again, thank you.
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Kipster wrote:Thanks for your comments so far chaps!
My intention is to buy a keeper and not as an investment. I just want fun, after all I am 58......

Keep giving me pointers that will allow me to make an informed decision please and yes, inspecting and driving is key.

Again, thank you.
Hi Kipster I am not sure how familiar you are with the marque but if it is your first time and as the car is in London give Max Levell a call at Revival Cars he will carry out an inspection for you and he probably knows the car and breathes 912's every day. He's based at Heathrow. http://www.revival-cars.com

He's a nice bloke and genuinely into the 912.

Best

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R
Kipster
DDK Newbie

Post by Kipster »

912Flyer wrote:

Again, thank you.
Hi Kipster I am not sure how familiar you are with the marque but if it is your first time and as the car is in London give Max Levell a call at Revival Cars he will carry out an inspection for you and he probably knows the car and breathes 912's every day. He's based at Heathrow. http://www.revival-cars.com

He's a nice bloke and genuinely into the 912.

Best

Mike

Thanks Mike,
I’ve had a few ranging from 1988 carrera through 964’s, 993 to 997’s.
mailed Max and will see how things go. The price is not where I want to be so working on that but will ask for a ppi should I get agreement on that.
Thanks again
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

All things equal an early 65 is worth much more than a 68.

However, 68 are super cars, John Benton's is a 68, but I'm not sure about £58k

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

wildtexas wrote:As I say Keith, it wasn’t intended as a slight on your friend. Simple observation for a car at that price.

Mine isn’t as smart but I don’t think it is worth that money either. But I do enjoy driving it.... and messing around with set up photos.... :lol:

Ooh. A barn find!
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

Again, thank you.
Hi Kipster,

You found your way on here a last! I told you the forum members will be really helpful.

Tend to agree that the 65 is more interesting than the 68. But the Andy Prill engine....

Good luck with the search! I'm sure a good one will turn up soon. I seem to recall another Bahama Yellow for sale somewhere with a similar price tag as the above.

KC
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

Ooh. A barn find!

Well as far as I put it in the barn, closed the door, opened it again and found it! :lol: